• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Finally, no more wind buffeting....

Guest rszk
So I got to try the MRA Xcreen Sport version on my Ermax Touring screen. It was the clip on version from my friend. took about 10 minutes of riding, stopping and adjusting to get it adjusted right. I can now hear my engine, buffetting was gone and so much more quiet than either stock or the Ermax Touring screen. If stock was 2/10 for quiet and the Ermax was 5/10 for quiet, this was 7.5/10. I will be purchasing the MRA Xcreen Touring visor which is larger and can work on the Ermax touring.

cheers.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi, does anyone has tried the puig wind deflector on the stock windscreen??
I've used the MRA Xtender sport on the stock screen.  It's similar to the Puig deflector.  It made an improvement, but still not good enough.  I took the screen off and just use the Xtender by itself.  Still not as good as I'd like, but closer.

Hi, just bought the givi S 180T wind deflector and it made a huge improvement! I have no more turbulence or buffet in the head and the noise level is much lower.

I would really like to post a picture of the bike with it but i am not able i will ask a friend very shortly. It almost have the same shape as the original windscreen. Cost me 173.60$ with taxes in montreal quebec.

• Premium Member
Hi, does anyone has tried the puig wind deflector on the stock windscreen??
I use the same wind spoiler on the stock screen...I can adjust it to get the wind over my helmet.  Major reduction of buffeting but I still find the bike wind-noisy.

Had the ERMAX touring screen...in highest position still a lot of wind buffeting... :( With the little PUIG spoiler all gone now.... :)
Some pics..(still need to remove the text sticker...)..:IMG_0183_zpsasrsjh7t.jpg
IMG_0182_zpstmi3fpvx.jpg
IMG_0181_zpsyqckhgbx.jpg
Is that the grey Ermax and smoke colored Puig? If so, how well does the color match in person? The pictures look good, but sometimes the colors can be deceiving in pictures depending on the lighting they were taken in.

Had the ERMAX touring screen...in highest position still a lot of wind buffeting... :( With the little PUIG spoiler all gone now.... :)
Is that the grey Ermax and smoke colored Puig? If so, how well does the color match in person? The pictures look good, but sometimes the colors can be deceiving in pictures depending on the lighting they were taken in.
Correct...Grey Ermax and smoke Puig...they are a 98% match... :)

Correct...Grey Ermax and smoke Puig...they are a 98% match... :)

Thank you.  I may just have to try it.  I have the Ermax grey but do find it noisy still.  I think it's better than stock.  There is a large pocket I can crunch into if I want to get away from the noise.  I couldn't do that with the stock windshield.  It is then a trade off from my ears to my back.  Is it possible to use the Puig to direct air at you if you are hot?  Is it adjustable without stopping?  I'd like to be a ATGATT rider but it's a constant battle between heat, gear and noise.  I just got the Ermax but I'm a little worried I will get hot in my gear on warmer days with it.  I do plan to get a sport screen but, if I do a longer tour, I can't carry both a touring screen and a sport screen with me to deal with the different temperatures.  I'm wondering if this will be part of the compromise I'm looking for. 
Thanks.

... Is it possible to use the Puig to direct air at you if you are hot?  Is it adjustable without stopping?...
You certainly can adjust it in such a way you'll get some airflow back. If you are really good with your hands you can do it while driving...doable..but not recommended.

• 2 weeks later...
So I have Ermarx sport screen....you think I should go with the small or medium?
Medium is not that big. That's what I got and I like it. Would have even liked it to be a bit larger but I think the curve is too sharp on the touring screen. I'm afraid a spoiler too much larger would actually touch the screen at the center point because the wider mounting points would move the spoiler back. Just a guess though.

It is certainly quieter than without. I wouldn't say it's perfectly still but I don't think I'd want that. I still wear ear plugs but before the spoiler, 32db plugs were near mandatory for interstate speeds for me. I couldn't hear my Sena at full blast on the interstate either. Now, I'm using 24 db ear plugs that are more comfortable and I don't need the Sena full blast to hear at any speed. Sometimes I'll put in the 32db plugs if I want some tranquility. Still don't need the Sena full blast. When it's hot, putting the spoiler flat will direct more air at you than even the stock screen allowed. Even with it directed at you, it's obviously louder than when it's directed over the helmet, it's fairly clean air so it's not too crazy loud.

• Premium Member
I got the Puig medium deflector to put on my Ermax touring screen the other day (thanks, hupelde, for the sizing tip).  It fits perfectly.

I've only tried two orientations so far, the 90 degree angle that it came at out of the box and one notch lower but still parallel to the screen (the same angle as hupelde's picture, I believe).  At the stock angle, which put perhaps 3/4 of the deflector over the top of the windscreen, I wasn't that fond of how much it intruded on my vision.  I had to look through it rather than over it for slow-speed maneuvering, which I don't prefer.  Buffeting was reduced noticeably, though, and if that was the cost of the improvement I would still be happy -- I'd get used to looking through it.

Clicking it one notch down, still parallel to the main screen, took it mostly out of my line of sight and airflow was even smoother.  Just what I was looking for.

With a heavy crosswind the screen bounced around even more than before, slightly distracting, but not terrible.

The Ermax touring screen alone was a big improvement over the stock windshield, but at highway speeds I still really noticed if the earplugs weren't perfectly sealed.  With the addition of the Puig there's still more noise than the helmet in clean air but it's much finer, down into the "I could get away without earplugs if I wanted" range (at least for short trips).  Nice.  Worth the price of admission.

One thing that bothers me, however, is that the instructions don't tell you how you should go about adjusting the angle/orientation of the deflector.  There are what looks like screwdriver adjustments on the pivots, but they distorted rather than turned when I tried to use them and I didn't want to destroy them by applying too much pressure.  I ended up simply pushing it gently until it did a rubbery click into a new detent.  This worked fine and didn't make any nasty crunching-oh-my-god-I-stripped-it type noises, but I worry that doing so repeatedly might cause damage to the pivot detents.

Does anyone know if that's what you're supposed to do?  I want to play with different orientations, e.g. to see if creating crossing airstreams between the Puig and the main screen makes things better or worse, and before I mess with it much more would like some reassurance that this is how it's intended to be adjusted or guidance if it's not.  It's disappointing that the Puig instructions don't even give a hint, and their website doesn't provide any additional guidance that I could find either.  (Installation instructions were minimal but plenty clear enough, at least.  Not that there's a lot to installation.)

Sometime in the next few weeks, as the hot weather kicks in around here and pushes me away from a full-coverage windscreen, I'll experiment with it on the Ermax sport screen too.  That's the best of the standalone screens that I've tried in terms of noise, but I get a bunch of noise through the bottom of my helmet and I'm pretty sure the deflector will be helpful there too.  I'll post an update when I get to it.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I got the Puig medium deflector to put on my Ermax touring screen the other day (thanks, hupelde, for the sizing tip).  It fits perfectly. 
I've only tried two orientations so far, the 90 degree angle that it came at out of the box and one notch lower but still parallel to the screen (the same angle as hupelde's picture, I believe).  At the stock angle, which put perhaps 3/4 of the deflector over the top of the windscreen, I wasn't that fond of how much it intruded on my vision.  I had to look through it rather than over it for slow-speed maneuvering, which I don't prefer.  Buffeting was reduced noticeably, though, and if that was the cost of the improvement I would still be happy -- I'd get used to looking through it.

Clicking it one notch down, still parallel to the main screen, took it mostly out of my line of sight and airflow was even smoother.  Just what I was looking for.

With a heavy crosswind the screen bounced around even more than before, slightly distracting, but not terrible.

The Ermax touring screen alone was a big improvement over the stock windshield, but at highway speeds I still really noticed if the earplugs weren't perfectly sealed.  With the addition of the Puig there's still more noise than the helmet in clean air but it's much finer, down into the "I could get away without earplugs if I wanted" range (at least for short trips).  Nice.  Worth the price of admission.

One thing that bothers me, however, is that the instructions don't tell you how you should go about adjusting the angle/orientation of the deflector.  There are what looks like screwdriver adjustments on the pivots, but they distorted rather than turned when I tried to use them and I didn't want to destroy them by applying too much pressure.  I ended up simply pushing it gently until it did a rubbery click into a new detent.  This worked fine and didn't make any nasty crunching-oh-my-god-I-stripped-it type noises, but I worry that doing so repeatedly might cause damage to the pivot detents.

Does anyone know if that's what you're supposed to do?  I want to play with different orientations, e.g. to see if creating crossing airstreams between the Puig and the main screen makes things better or worse, and before I mess with it much more would like some reassurance that this is how it's intended to be adjusted or guidance if it's not.  It's disappointing that the Puig instructions don't even give a hint, and their website doesn't provide any additional guidance that I could find either.  (Installation instructions were minimal but plenty clear enough, at least.  Not that there's a lot to installation.)

Sometime in the next few weeks, as the hot weather kicks in around here and pushes me away from a full-coverage windscreen, I'll experiment with it on the Ermax sport screen too.  That's the best of the standalone screens that I've tried in terms of noise, but I get a bunch of noise through the bottom of my helmet and I'm pretty sure the deflector will be helpful there too.  I'll post an update when I get to it.
Hey Jim.  Sounds promising.  That seems to correlate to some of the YouTube vid's I saw on the MRA Xcreen I bought.  Those videos were on other bikes however, and my results on the FJ with the stock screen were not so dramatic of an improvement.  Before I throw money at an aftermarket screen, I'm curious if you still have the stock screen that you could try the Puig deflector on and compare the results to the two Ermax screens.  TIA  Never mind.  Looked above this post.

• Premium Member
Hey Jim.  Sounds promising.  That seems to correlate to some of the YouTube vid's I saw on the MRA Xcreen I bought.  Those videos were on other bikes however, and my results on the FJ with the stock screen were not so dramatic of an improvement.  Before I throw money at an aftermarket screen, I'm curious if you still have the stock screen that you could try the Puig deflector on and compare the results to the two Ermax screens.  TIA
I do still have the stock screen.  I wasn't planning to even try it because the stock screen was so horrible, but what the heck, it's only a couple of minutes to move things around.  I'll try to do that this weekend if I have a little free time. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
Hah, if I read *all* of your message, I'd see that you didn't need me to do this. That's what drives my wife crazy. :-)
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member

Does anyone know if that's what you're supposed to do?
I asked Puig how you're supposed to go about making adjustments and they say: 
"We recommend to place one hand on each side of the visor, preferably where the brackets are, and then adjust it. It is manual process."

So I did it right.  I suggested that this information would be nice to have in their instructions, assuming that is that it's not already there and I missed it, although I did go back and look so I don't think so.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived