Finally, no more wind buffeting....

I picked up my Ermax Touring screen based on the other windscreen thread. I'm mixed on it, it is a huge improvement over stock for noise and wind deflection, and I no longer finish a ride with my shield on my helmet covered in bugs. I almost think however I would prefer all clean and and will likely pick up a shorty sometime soon. I rode without a wind screen and kind of preferred it other than the look. I ride with it in the middle position and am almost out of the air, their is some buffeting at the very top of my helmet. I can duck down a bit and be out of it where it is nearly silent (I am 5'6). I havne't tried it in the top position as the handlebars catch on the screen, have any of you with this screen noticed this in the top position? Here is a pic of it in the top screen, you can see how high it is and where it will hit (this was before i realized it would).
IMG_0580.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest fzrcraig
I too have the Ermax touring screen and agree that it is better than stock but not perfect. At 5' 10" and with the screen in the low position, the wind hits me at eye level making it difficult to ride with the visor open on my helmet. Wind noise is moderate+.
At this point I am considering a shorty for local riding and the Ermax for longer distances. It would be nice however if one were available that would address everyone's concerns.

Craig

Guest rszk
I picked up my Ermax Touring screen based on the other windscreen thread. I'm mixed on it, it is a huge improvement over stock for noise and wind deflection, and I no longer finish a ride with my shield on my helmet covered in bugs. I almost think however I would prefer all clean and and will likely pick up a shorty sometime soon. I rode without a wind screen and kind of preferred it other than the look. I ride with it in the middle position and am almost out of the air, their is some buffeting at the very top of my helmet. I can duck down a bit and be out of it where it is nearly silent (I am 5'6). I havne't tried it in the top position as the handlebars catch on the screen, have any of you with this screen noticed this in the top position? Here is a pic of it in the top screen, you can see how high it is and where it will hit (this was before i realized it would). IMG_0580.jpg

Adjust your handle bars and you will have clearance on the top position by rotating the bars a bit.

Adjust your handle bars and you will have clearance on the top position by rotating the bars a bit.
Wow, so simple its stupid (that i didn't think of it that is).  I'll have to see if it is comfortable, I totally brain farted on this, not sure why I didn't think about it.  I got too excited by the farkles.

IMG_20150610_080357_edit_zpsifieuidl.jpg

IMG_20150610_080332_edit_zpsz1ezlucc.jpg[/url]

So really got a chance to finally play around with screen and FJ09.  First summer like day in Chicago.  First of all, WOW!, I found A mode.  Gonna be tough to ride in anything else now.  Can imagine a flash will only make it that much better.  Hopefully find the time to tear the bike apart and send it in.

As far as the screen, I second the comments above but using a Puig clip on...on an Ermax sport screen.  In the position in the picture, seems to throw the wind above my head now.  The wind blast I use to get I can now find we I stand up on the pegs.  Sweet!  Careful with the Puig, managed to break it when adjusting but did get it back together.  Don't think I will be moving it much now.  

I really like the look of yours bucktownbilly. 
I know you haven't put many miles on your bike yet, but did you notice an improvement as far as the noise factor over the stock windscreen?
Really haven't done to much, but yeah coming together.  I like the black forks the best, came out nice.  Couldn't stand the gold ones.  Need to get rid of the tail and orange beachball lights.

So I've got about 2K on the bike now.  The Ermax sport windscreen is better than the stock screen.  The Ermax sport windscreen with the Puig clip on screen is way better.  Basically I an now listening to what it is like on a naked bike, like my FZ8, no extra windblast from screen.  Can actually hear how sweet the engine sounds now. 

• 2 weeks later...
I'm getting the impression from my experiences and reading all the posts on wind noises and screens that the puig spoilers is the only real solution to make the problem really go away. I just can't get over how they completely ruin the look of the bike to me though...but I might just have to break down and get one before this noise drives me nuts...Being 6'3" makes it all more difficult to remedy!

• Premium Member
Very happy with the Puig deflector, used on an 1813 mile trip to Alsace. Makes the slog on UK motorways to get to/from the Channel Tunnel less of a chore.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived