When is the front cast wheel out of spec for balancing?

redfjniner

• Premium Member
My tire shop struggle to balance the front tire. New PR4 installed today. They remove all the weight and put 2g of balace beads in the front tire. Haven't reinstalled the tire yet and it's raining outside.  
Is somebody already tried those tire beads?
2g? 
A bee sitting on the rim would add 2g!
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I've had a brand named Equal used in commercial truck tires. Works very well in that application but never tried it in a motorcycle tire. It's a granulated powder, similar appearance to some gun powders and it works as an adaptive mass balancer by moving to the lighter side of the tire while in rotation (see website). I know a measured amount is installed according to tire size. There is an application table the tire professionals use. I was unaware of there being specifications for motorcycle tires. I wouldn't be concerned about using the product, especially such a small amount? Maybe double check with your tire professional and if your not convinced, give them a call but there could be other brands.

http://www.imiproducts.com/products/equal/
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

My tire shop struggle to balance the front tire. New PR4 installed today. They remove all the weight and put 2g of balace beads in the front tire. Haven't reinstalled the tire yet and it's raining outside.  
Is somebody already tried those tire beads?
2g? 
A bee sitting on the rim would add 2g!
My bad, 2oz in front tire. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#MotorcycleChart
Thanks

Update. This morning, no rain so out for a quick test drive.

No luck for me. Front wheel was shaking like there is no tomorrow. At 140km/hr it was scary.

I did bring both wheel to the same shop. Will get them back later on. Told them (worst case) to put back the OEM wheel weight at the same place (where Yamaha put them) and see if this could correct the wheel problem. Then balance like usual to compensate for the tire unbalance.

Will then see.
Stay tune.

Tire shop remove the beads. Remove the tire. Put the wheel only on the balancing machine. Results, need 2oz on the exact same spot that it was when bike was new.   When the bike was new I had 20gr + 30 gr.  Add those metric weight and you get 2oz...

Put the Michelin PR4 back on. Need to add 20gr and 15gr (two plane, not center). Add the weight and voilà... Of course we could have played again with the original 20gr and 30gr but was kind of tired of all this...

So I have 20gr + 30gr + 20gr + 15gr for a total of 85gr (3 oz) on my front tire.
But do you know what... Even if i'm pi.. off about he casting defect from Yamaha I'm smiling because mu bike is running fine and fast :)

End of the story, for now ;)

Guest reeseyboy
The question is, does anyone know what the manufacturer's tolerance is for the cast wheels?

In short, there isn't one. Heard back from my dealer yesterday and he said that Yamaha UK had fed back to him that there isn't a spec, as such, and that what's going on on my bike is OK. 

Did you find a difference in the vibration/buzzing transmitted through the handle bars??

No difference compare to the original dunlop. Got the bike to top speed few times yesterday with the same head shake that I had before. On the handlebar no change.

• Premium Member
The question is, does anyone know what the manufacturer's tolerance is for the cast wheels?

In short, there isn't one. Heard back from my dealer yesterday and he said that Yamaha UK had fed back to him that there isn't a spec, as such, and that what's going on on my bike is OK.
I'm sorry, did they mistakenly call BMW?  :o
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

• 8 months later...
  • Premium Member
New tyres yesterday, now have 90g of weights on the front wheel. Rear is a better 10g.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived