akro exhaust can't decided help

jord4231

Hi guys and girls.
I'm just new to the forum and thank you for letting me join what a great place!
Anyway I have finally decided the MT09 Tracer (Australia) (or the FJ-09 for my o/s friends) is my bike.
The dealer has told me the akro exhaust fitted for $1500aud is the way to go, they have told me that they tune the bike for it and that its like a different bike.
I've owned many bikes but the only NEW bike prior to the tracer I'm about to buy and don't laugh is a cb125e.
I use it as a run about, leave it parked in the driveway and use it to get to work (its saved me over $1000 in fuel in the first 6000kms)  anyway.....when I first put a ixil exhaust on this bike I hated it because it was all noise so much so it actually felt like the bike was slower,but now I'm used to it I like it and the power gains for such a small bike helped a little.
The reason I mentioned this bike its the only experience I've had from changing stock to modified all my other bigger bikes already had pipes.
So my real question, is it worth getting is it more just about the noise or does the bikes attitude really change significantly.
I was considering this because I was originally going to buy the mt09 but found the tracer rode better (for me) but I wanted that more aggressiveness of the mt09.
A little noise is nice but I just noise to me isn't worth $1500
Thanks for your patience and putting up with me 

• Premium Member
The exhaust is usually only one piece of the puzzle to adding hp. Like bob says, the most important piece is the ECU (or a device like a Power Commander) that can adjust the air/fuel ratio/qty to take significant advantage of the new exhaust. If your dealership has a dynomometer or can get your ECU reflashed AND has the new settings for the Akro, then it would be worth considering. I think the tuner sponsor of this site has those settings available.

Your concern about noise is appreciated. It is worth considering different exhausts (or waiting for a new one since this is a relatively new model). On my old bike, FMF made a Q4 exhaust with a different header that was specifically marketed as being about only a little louder than the stock exhaust while making measurable horsepower gains. Having ridden with a friend who had one on his bike of the exact same model as mine, I can agree - it was really only louder with a wide open throttle and it had a more grunt.

Finally, is the FJ lacking power in your opinion? Adding a few hp to a 125 (or a 250 like my previous bike) makes a HUGE difference since they don't have many to start with. Adding a few hp to a bike with 105 rwhp, IMO, is noticeable but not appreciable.

Every time I considered paying for an exhaust + header + rejet/Power Commander, I stopped. Both times I was looking at adding a $1000-ish system to a $5000 bike, 20% of the value. With my sportbike, $1000 paid for ~ 5 track days with instruction. To me, that was worth far more than a few hp.

Thanks for the replys guys, I think I'll keep it stock.
The tracers don't lack power it really goes great!

I think the dealer just wants the extra $$$
I definitely see your point about the smaller engines and exhausts makes perfect sense,
I'm not planning on taking the tracer to the track and I'll never use all its power in the street every day :)

I put on the full Akro titanium system at 600 miles. According to Akro, the exhaust alone, with no air box or tune modification, makes 115rwhp. It shaves about 8 lbs off the bike. The engine response stock made me smile in my helmet, with the Akro, it makes me laugh out loud. I would describe the difference as giving the engine a lot of caffeine and making it even more eager to go.

I've left the baffle in and it isn't much louder than stock. It's deeper and has more rumble to it. I like the sound.

The Akro gives a noticeable improvement in my experience. I think you would notice and enjoy it as well. It's up to you to decide if you are willing the spend the money or not.

Cheers.

Guest bmidd
The exhaust is usually only one piece of the puzzle to adding hp. Like bob says, the most important piece is the ECU (or a device like a Power Commander) that can adjust the air/fuel ratio/qty to take significant advantage of the new exhaust. If your dealership has a dynomometer or can get your ECU reflashed AND has the new settings for the Akro, then it would be worth considering. I think the tuner sponsor of this site has those settings available.  
Your concern about noise is appreciated. It is worth considering different exhausts (or waiting for a new one since this is a relatively new model). On my old bike, FMF made a Q4 exhaust with a different header that was specifically marketed as being about only a little louder than the stock exhaust while making measurable horsepower gains. Having ridden with a friend who had one on his bike of the exact same model as mine, I can agree - it was really only louder with a wide open throttle and it had a more grunt.

Finally, is the FJ lacking power in your opinion? Adding a few hp to a 125 (or a 250 like my previous bike) makes a HUGE difference since they don't have many to start with. Adding a few hp to a bike with 105 rwhp, IMO, is noticeable but not appreciable.

Every time I considered paying for an exhaust + header + rejet/Power Commander, I stopped. Both times I was looking at adding a $1000-ish system to a $5000 bike, 20% of the value. With my sportbike, $1000 paid for ~ 5 track days with instruction. To me, that was worth far more than a few hp.

My thoughts exactly, I can spend that money on tires, suspension and track days.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived