shoei GT-air reviewed

Guest spunrdneck

Does anyone else have the breath guard removed but still find it stuffy? I wonder if that's stopping the air from getting to my face. I installed it because it was there but didn't have or near one on my xr1100. I'll remove it & see if it makes any difference

I removed the breath guard on my Shoei Quest - I know not the GT Air, but it did help make it less stuffy. I also have installed the pinlock shield and insert and that helps with the stuffiness - fogging although from time to time I still fog my sunglasses. 

Removed the breath guard and didn't notice a difference. It was warm out today and the lack of air flow really wasn't nice. Might take it for a shoei salesman to have a look check all is ok. Moving my hand in front of the chin vent got some air to my face, noisy but worth it to cool off.

Also found by rotating the whole helmet backwards so the chin bar is higher, the chin strap doesn't rub as much. Makes no difference to my vision really. I'll have to remember that for future rides. I'm used to pulling the chin bar down

I've been riding with my new GT-Air for a couple days. I'm coming from an RF-1000. 
- I think the GT-Air has more wind noise than my 1000, I wouldn't call the GT a very quiet helmet.
- the cheek pads are more 'aggressive' on the GT. My cheeks are being squeezed in a good way. No helmet movement at all. I had been wishing for years that I could change out the 1000's pads for thicker.
- I haven't installed the anti-fog screen, and don't feel the need to yet. It's been high 80's here, and I've had zero fogging issues with either shield or visor.
- ventilation is a little better than the 1000, but not great.
- the functionality of the tinted visor is great, but the bottom edge of the visor interferes with me seeing the speedo/gauges and mirrors clearly. Very irritating coming from just a smoked shield. 
- visibility out of the GT is great. With the visor up, it almost feels like not having a helmet on. 
- Heavier! XL GT-Air weighs in at 3lbs15oz. RF-1000 is 3lbs7oz. 
- the GT is more stable. I've got a shorty shield; in clean air, the GT feels more aerodynamic than the 1000.
- the GT is pretty snug around the jaw/neck. Seems like most helmets are going this way for noise reduction. Pretty tight putting it on and taking off.
--Edit: I forgot to mention that fog shield/nose piece and without the chin guard. The chin guard was too warm for me. Maybe put it back on in the winter.
-I'll give it a couple weeks to see if I get used to the retractable visor. I wish it went lower so that the bottom edge wasn't in the field of view so much. However, if you drive at night much, this helmet is worth strong consideration.
--however, the RF-1200 w/ photo chromatic shield may just trump it in a lighter package...

we sure do have great problems ;-)
Brian

beberle,

My second choice of helmet was the GT-Air, but wasn't so sure of the retractable tinted visor for the reason you state. A friend has a Shuberth and mentioned the same thing with it's retractable shield. Maybe after some riding time you'll get used to it?

I have the RF-1200 with Transition shield and really like it so far, the shield gets dark quickly and seems to lighten up within the 2 minutes that Shoei stated.

Guest reeseyboy
I'm on my second GT-Air. I bought the first in Jan 2014 after it was first released in the UK. It got returned after a few weeks as it leaked badly from around the visor seal, despite getting it adjusted a number of times by the Shoei approved dealer. My current GT is mainly used when I tour. Yes, it fogs when it's chilly IF the neck curtain is fitted but not without. I find that the venting across the face is so effective that I rarely open the chin bar vent as it makes my eyes water! It's reasonably quiet. The internal visor is good, with no distortion. Good lid.
Prefer my Shoei X-Spirit though...

• 1 month later...
Shoei said I could send it to them via my dealer to have a look but as I bought it online it's probably more hassle than it's worth. I was under the impression the Shoei Assured dealerships were able to help out without having to send it off but obviously not.

Does anyone else find this helmet quieter with the visor open? Certainly up to around 40ish when the wind is too much for my eyes I find it cuts out a lot of wind noise. As soon as I close the visor it sounds like the wind is echoing around inside

• 1 month later...
Review Update:
  I've got about a thousand miles on the GT-Air now.  One mod has made a world of difference; I purchased a dark-smoke windscreen for it and like it even more now.  The lower edge of the flip down visor was still bugging me. I decided that getting a dark screen was the 'cheapest' test I could do before going to another helmet. 
  The new screen did the trick. It's hard to find since they're technically not for sale in the U.S., but a little searching found a screen w/ 2-day shipping for $60. The factory Shoei dark smoke screen seems to be the same tint as the flip down visor, so really no change other than no annoying bottom edge any longer!  Even better, on very sunny days, flipping the visor down AND having a dark screen really creates a perfect tint level! Find yourself riding into the sun? You're still squinting pretty good with the dark smoke tint. Flip the internal visor down and voila!!
  Friggin' best of all worlds. If I plan on a long trip into the night, I'll put on the clear screen and just use the flip down during the day and flip it up at night. 98% of my riding is in the day, so I have the dark windscreen on and find I'm riding with the flip down 15-20% of the time on really bright days.

VERY happy with this setup now.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...
i wanted this one or th eneotec but then i ran into the new scorpion exo t1200.....i have 2,600 mile on it now and even thou it is noisy ,but not so behind a screen ,and i always wear earplugs anyhow it has become my favorite for now ...other of my helmets are Akuma, shoei ,shuberth ...( i love my j1 ), and arai .....and by the way ,the scorpion cost $360 . i think no more shoei or arai for me ...they have overpriced themselves

Archived