Iron Butt

• Premium Member
Who is going to be the first to finish a certified Iron Butt ride on an FJ-09?  Seems like a good candidate bike.

I'm on the list on my Ninja 600.  We had a lot of fun building up endurance gradually, planning out the route, and riding all day.  We rode through 4 National Parks (Sequoia, Kings, Yosemite, and Death Valley) and back from Orange County, CA in 1 day.  We had planned to ride through 5, but the north road through the desert to Joshua Tree was flooded out so we had to make a quick re-route.  The BMW in the group had a screw vibrate out of the clutch lever - fixed in a Home Depot parking lot.  I hit reserve too quickly on my first tank so I did a steady 50 - 55 mph in a full aero tuck for a good 30 minutes or so.  Sunrise dropping into the Central Valley and sunset in Death Valley were beautiful.  We had a park ranger in Yosemite tell us that we weren't doing anything illegal, but "would we please stop intimidating other park guests" with our (legal <-- even the ranger agreed) passes on the road leading up to Yosemite.

Anyway, I recommend the ride as a challenge, but enjoy it and don't just ride 500 miles one way on the interstate and turn around and come back (well, except for maybe a handful of interstates that really are pretty).  Consider challenging yourself to come up with a scenic route that you can still roll at 42 mph with stops in under 24 hours.

Although it was unofficial (but witnessed by several people),
managed to ride 1000 miles on the Dragon in < 24 hours. 
Enjoy the ride.

Enjoy the ride.

He is a talented rider and holds a nice line on that big sickle. 
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Guest bmidd
Enjoy the ride.

He is a talented rider and holds a nice line on that big sickle.
Word has it, it's a black 'Wing now with Traxxion goodies on it...

Who is going to be the first to finish a certified Iron Butt ride on an FJ-09?  Seems like a good candidate bike. 
I'm on the list on my Ninja 600.  We had a lot of fun building up endurance gradually, planning out the route, and riding all day.  We rode through 4 National Parks (Sequoia, Kings, Yosemite, and Death Valley) and back from Orange County, CA in 1 day.  We had planned to ride through 5, but the north road through the desert to Joshua Tree was flooded out so we had to make a quick re-route.  The BMW in the group had a screw vibrate out of the clutch lever - fixed in a Home Depot parking lot.  I hit reserve too quickly on my first tank so I did a steady 50 - 55 mph in a full aero tuck for a good 30 minutes or so.  Sunrise dropping into the Central Valley and sunset in Death Valley were beautiful.  We had a park ranger in Yosemite tell us that we weren't doing anything illegal, but "would we please stop intimidating other park guests" with our (legal <-- even the ranger agreed) passes on the road leading up to Yosemite.

Anyway, I recommend the ride as a challenge, but enjoy it and don't just ride 500 miles one way on the interstate and turn around and come back (well, except for maybe a handful of interstates that really are pretty).  Consider challenging yourself to come up with a scenic route that you can still roll at 42 mph with stops in under 24 hours.

Enjoy the ride.

I have plans to knock out an SS1000 once my bike comes back from Parabellum with some prototype windscreens.  Will give me a chance to test the big screen and my Seat Concepts seat.
'15 FJ-09
Red is the fastest color!

Prototype Parabellum screens
Shogun sliders
SC seats
Radiator screen

Archived