Disable ABS

• Premium Member
I'll say it first. I like ABS. It is one of many reasons why I chose the FJ-09. I'd like to think that I don't need it, that I will always exercise discipline and good control with the brakes. The reality is that I stomp on the brakes when faced with an emergency situation. I want the ABS to step in and unlock either tire when necessary.

The only time that I crashed my last bike occurred because I locked up the rear. Also, my last car was totaled in a crash that may have been avoided if I had not locked up the brakes. I now have ABS on all my vehicles.

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

...I hate abs, I think it's dangerous, and degrading to motorcyclists as a whole lol.
I understand wanting to have a bike in its pure form without having as many of the electronics.. but how does ABS make a bike dangerous?

I came down a tarmaced back country road (on a KTM 990 Adventure ABS, not had the Tracer kick in yet) in the village where I live, not THAT steep but rather prone to have gravel and dirt wash to the bottom after rain. 
The road has a T junction at the bottom, so have to give way (yield) at the end.

The speed limit is 30mph (its within the village) - I was doing maybe 20.  Light front brake, but on the gravel bit ABS kicks in, I stop in the middle of the main road beyond the stop line.  It was so slow and surreal, the bike was choosing to not let me stop, and there was FA I could do about it.  

I have lived here for 23 years, so know every little bump on that road.   Had there been no ABS I could do what I always have done in that circumstance, a momentary intentional lock of the wheel would have cut through the shallow debris, caught the tarmac and the whole thing would have been a non-event.

THAT is why it is (potentially) dangerous.  You don't have full control.

(Its why dirt riders will switch ABS off, to give full control  - roads aren't always clean and sparkly... in fact today I went to the station down some back road slime mud covered on tarmac road, thinking "oh shit this thing has ABS" - I'm not a fan)
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I don't mind the rider aids most of the time on a street bike, but i think they should've offered a switch to disable it similar to the TCS. Eventho the TCS switch is a pain in the ass when you have to come to a complete stop to disable it. I enjoy doing a little wheelie, stoppie or backing it into a corner everynow and then. ABS offroad sucks.

I removed the 2 abs fuses under the seat and problem solved! I hate abs, I think it's dangerous, and degrading to motorcyclists as a whole lol.

How long have you been riding with the fuses removed? I'd like to wire in a switch like stated above, but I just don't want it upsetting or damaging the bike(throwing a check engine code or something similar to a car where the computer starts limiting power etc). Thanks

I definitely think that having the ability to decide when and where your ABS is active would he a good thing. I think that being able to set the strength of the ABS (like some TCS offer) would be better.

I still don't feel that it makes me unsafe to have it on the bike. @eeetea your example is unique given that you were on a road in a setting that you are familiar with knowing that you WANTED to break traction. I would think most people would appreciate not losing traction under braking when running over gravel, dirt. Although it's hard for me to say because I have only intentionally activated the ABS on the rear to feel it in action while I was on a paved road.

Either way, if you are for ABS or against it, everyone just be aware of it and ride safe.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
In the EU, ABS is mandatory for larger capacity bikes now. Older bikes with ABS have switches to disable it (e.g. my 2000 model R1150GS). More recent bikes do not have a switch and disabling the ABS on a bike designed to have it "always on" could affect an insurance claim, especially one where a collision or venture into the scenery was involved.

Personally, I am very confident in my braking ability and rarely trigger the ABS in everyday riding - maybe the rear on a steep downhill where weight is transferred to the front, reducing rear grip, making a lock up easier. However, as a winter commuter, I would rather the bike had ABS just because I come across junctions with diesel spills, icy strips under hedgerows & trees, wet manhole covers etc. I see most hazards but in half light when I might be cold or half asleep I am happy for the computer to intervene.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

There a definite pros and cons. Its not the panacea of safety that some believe, nor is it the curse of beelezebub.

The reason I cited that experience was because the Q was asked "when can it ever be dangerous?" Equally one could ask, "when does it have its advantages?", and I think there could be some equally valid example.

Pro and cons, no wrongs or rights, just opinions and preferences
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Premium Member
I personally feel when the abs is triggered you're only getting maybe 70% braking power. I just don't feel like the technology is better than a human hand, not yet anyway.  But again just my opinion, to each there own.
With all due respect, your opinion on this matter is pretty far from the facts about ABS.  This is about as comprehensive a breakdown as you'll find of ABS functionality on modern motorcycles: <http://www.therideadvice.com/abs-motorcycles-vs-non-abs-motorcycles-need-motorcycle-abs/>

I'll admit that the pulsing feel at the rear lever (haven't locked up the front myself yet) is a little... disconcerting... and if you prefer the tactile sensation of fully locking your tires up when you exceed available grip, then go for it, but please be weary of spreading misinformation to other riders here... especially in matters of riding safety.
Exactly, he's entitled to his opinion. But not his own set of facts. 70% of braking power? Do you know how fast a modern ABS pump cycles? 
60 - 0 mph, very few riders can stop a motorcycle faster without, than with ABS. Even given perfect tarmac and a few practice runs, you will typically not outperform ABS. Complicate matters with unknown tarmac, variable coefficient of friction and adrenaline running through your veins....ABS is your friend. And the best part??? It's only there if you need it! If you're a braking GOD and somehow don't lock up the front or rear during an emergency, ABS is perfectly happy leaving you in control!
Piedmont of NC
'15 FJ-09
'94 GTS-1000

I apologize if it was taken as spreading misinformation. I specifically used words like feel, maybe, and opinion for that reason.  I used 70% as purely a reference for what I feel. I understand why many people may feel differently about this, I do stand by my opinion. And as far as using the word dangerous I did finish with a lol, just throwing out some sense of humor.  I do feel it's a little unsettling when a bike doesn't react normally under hard braking. 

I removed the 2 abs fuses under the seat and problem solved! I hate abs, I think it's dangerous, and degrading to motorcyclists as a whole lol.

How long have you been riding with the fuses removed? I'd like to wire in a switch like stated above, but I just don't want it upsetting or damaging the bike(throwing a check engine code or something similar to a car where the computer starts limiting power etc). Thanks
Not long, no codes or issues yet but I'll keep you posted. 

Is it possible to disable rear ABS but leave the front intact. I am an old dirt biker and find it very easy to modulate the rear as needed and have no fear losing control of the bike without rear ABS.

However, front is a different story. If the front locks up, it is much harder to not meet MR Pavement. Been there, done that.

The way I use ABS in cars, is to brake hard, then if anti-lock sets off, release pressure on the brake pedal just a bit to get the ABS mode to shut off and continue to modulate the brake pedal pressure as needed, trying to keep as much pressure on the brake system as possible while trying to avoid initiating ABS from kicking in. I am still in break-in mode for my bike, but the anti-lock brakes have kicked in twice. Problem I had was I could not tell which wheel was in ant-lock mode and could not tell which brake lever to let off a bit.

I read the previous post about two fuses, does that mean one fuse front, a different fuse rear? Implying that I could switch off rear but keep front ABS on.

I came down a tarmaced back country road (on a KTM 990 Adventure ABS, not had the Tracer kick in yet) in the village where I live, not THAT steep but rather prone to have gravel and dirt wash to the bottom after rain. 
The road has a T junction at the bottom, so have to give way (yield) at the end.

The speed limit is 30mph (its within the village) - I was doing maybe 20. Light front brake, but on the gravel bit ABS kicks in, I stop in the middle of the main road beyond the stop line. It was so slow and surreal, the bike was choosing to not let me stop, and there was FA I could do about it.

I have lived here for 23 years, so know every little bump on that road. Had there been no ABS I could do what I always have done in that circumstance, a momentary intentional lock of the wheel would have cut through the shallow debris, caught the tarmac and the whole thing would have been a non-event.

THAT is why it is (potentially) dangerous. You don't have full control.

(Its why dirt riders will switch ABS off, to give full control - roads aren't always clean and sparkly... in fact today I went to the station down some back road slime mud covered on tarmac road, thinking "oh shet this thing has ABS" - I'm not a fan)

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/1507/disable-abs#ixzz45frjTiKy
insert quote here

My first experience with anti-lock brakes was very similar, except I was in a pick up truck and the dirt road I was on ended on a highway with lots of traffic.   I agree, in unexpected slippery conditions such as washboard roads, ABS can be dangerous.  That's why dirt bikers do not like them.

The speed limit is 30mph (its within the village) - I was doing maybe 20. Light front brake, but on the gravel bit ABS kicks in, I stop in the middle of the main road beyond the stop line. It was so slow and surreal, the bike was choosing to not let me stop, and there was FA I could do about it.

I have lived here for 23 years, so know every little bump on that road. Had there been no ABS I could do what I always have done in that circumstance, a momentary intentional lock of the wheel would have cut through the shallow debris, caught the tarmac and the whole thing would have been a non-event.

THAT is why it is (potentially) dangerous. You don't have full control.

(Its why dirt riders will switch ABS off, to give full control - roads aren't always clean and sparkly... in fact today I went to the station down some back road slime mud covered on tarmac road, thinking "oh shet this thing has ABS" - I'm not a fan)

Read more: http://fj-09.org/thread/1507/disable-abs#ixzz45frjTiKy
insert quote here
My first experience with anti-lock brakes was very similar, except I was in a pick up truck and the dirt road I was on ended on a highway with lots of traffic.   I agree, in unexpected slippery conditions such as washboard roads, ABS can be dangerous.  That's why dirt bikers do not like them.
I've had similar experiences in my truck as well, hit a bump just wrong and it won't stop.  

60 - 0 mph, very few riders can stop a motorcycle faster without, than with ABS. Even given perfect tarmac and a few practice runs, you will typically not outperform ABS. Complicate matters with unknown tarmac, variable coefficient of friction and adrenaline running through your veins....ABS is your friend. And the best part??? It's only there if you need it! If you're a braking GOD and somehow don't lock up the front or rear during an emergency, ABS is perfectly happy leaving you in control!
Yes, this I believe to be true...and why I leave my ABS on.... 

But equally many including me, see the dangers when you stop on dirt...that shouldn't be an issue for road riding, but in the UK sometimes it is.

The idea of ABS front and non ABS rear sounds like a good compromise, but whether that's possible??

For my riding style, I can't think of an incident where I have had to brake hard for the ABS to cut in (other than on loose gravel, where it was a hindrance) ...oh and in just trying it out.

On a bike there is so much feedback through the bars even the slightest squirm is noticeable (remind me to change those Dunplops), on even sports cars that is far harder to detect imho.

Err that's all really.

Yes, this I believe to be true...and why I leave my ABS on.... 

But equally many including me, see the dangers when you stop on dirt...that shouldn't be an issue for road riding, but in the UK sometimes it is.

Mind you ABS is becoming so good these days that even on gravel it can far outperform non-ABS. 
I have attended Simon Pavey's Offroad Skills course in Wales on a number of occasions.  The first time was probably about 9 years ago using the relatively new at that time 1200GS.  On the first day they said, "We've disabled the ABS and whatever you do, don't try and switch it back on!".  In those days you had much more control modulating the brakes yourself.

Last time I did the course was about 2 years ago with the latest 1200GS with its various riding modes including Enduro mode.  This time they said on the first day "We've put the bikes in Enduro mode with the ABS [b style=text-decoration:underline]ON[/b], and whatever you do, don't try and switch it off!".  I must say it was amazing.  Riding down steep, gravelly inclines with slippery roots in your path and the front brake on and the bike just rolled down the hill in a controlled safe manner.  I was suitably impressed.

CS