Disable ABS

ABS is great for those moments when a caged monkey decides to want your lane at a moments notice.

ABS/TCS is not good for when you're at a 60° incline, they both activate and you go sliding down the hill lol.

It takes a lot to activate the ABS on these bikes, didn't feel it once on the track, but it's a great peace of mind to know that if there is a potential phuck up you're not going to squabble away.

• 11 months later...
My '16 KTM 690 ER has a factory ABS dongle accessory available that makes ABS on front only the start up default. Riders off road (and on) use sliding the rear wheel to aid in pointing the bike into a turn. I used this sideways turning method to avoid riding off the side of a mountain, in gravel, when I overcooked it into a sharp 90 degree turn that had been obscured by a cloud of dust from riders ahead. I doubt I could have stopped the bike before going over the side by keeping it straight and braking, with or without ABS. I leave the ABS off in the rear on the 690, street or dirt.

I personally feel when the abs is triggered you're only getting maybe 70% braking power. I just don't feel like the technology is better than a human hand, not yet anyway.  But again just my opinion, to each there own.
With all due respect, your opinion on this matter is pretty far from the facts about ABS.  This is about as comprehensive a breakdown as you'll find of ABS functionality on modern motorcycles: <http://www.therideadvice.com/abs-motorcycles-vs-non-abs-motorcycles-need-motorcycle-abs/>

I'll admit that the pulsing feel at the rear lever (haven't locked up the front myself yet) is a little... disconcerting... and if you prefer the tactile sensation of fully locking your tires up when you exceed available grip, then go for it, but please be weary of spreading misinformation to other riders here... especially in matters of riding safety.
I would add that I was very anti ABS...back in the day when computers were controlled by wooden cogs. So yes my old KTM with Neanderthal technology used to get regularly switched off - because I could brake quicker.   

Frankly the chip speed and the control systems have moved on "slightly" (like a million times faster) and actually, pride dentedly I say, leave the ABS on.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I now have 7,000 miles on my FJ 09 and a lot more practice with ABS. As an old dirt biker, I do miss the ability to lock rear brake and slide / steer with rear wheel. It took some time to de-program that from my riding reflexes and techniques.

I started with practice on smooth dirt roads at slow speeds and deliberating locking up front and rear ABS independently until I learned how to feel which wheel is in ABS mode by feeling the hand lever or foot brake vibrate. It is still my opinion that ABS activation extends braking distance. The most effective use of ABS brakes to reduce stopping distance, is to release just enough pressure off the lever to stop ABS modulation, then reapply slight pressure as, or if, needed. This is a far more subtle modulation than the pre-ABS days of "pumping" the brakes. As a result of my practice of braking as hard as possible without activating ABS, my stopping distance has decreased so much that I really have to be careful of who or what is behind me in fear they will not be able to stop as quickly as I can. This is not to say I can out brake a pro racer on a pure sport bike. But I do have a lot more confidence in braking with ABS by NOT activating it, than when I first starting riding with it.

That sir, is a very interesting observation. As it happens I'm off to an advanced motorcycle control ( for road riding) at Cadwell Park race track.

I might see if I can start experimenting in that.
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

I now have 7,000 miles on my FJ 09 and a lot more practice with ABS. As an old dirt biker, I do miss the ability to lock rear brake and slide / steer with rear wheel. It took some time to de-program that from my riding reflexes and techniques.  
I started with practice on smooth dirt roads at slow speeds and deliberating locking up front and rear ABS independently until I learned how to feel which wheel is in ABS mode by feeling the hand lever or foot brake vibrate. It is still my opinion that ABS activation extends braking distance. The most effective use of ABS brakes to reduce stopping distance, is to release just enough pressure off the lever to stop ABS modulation, then reapply slight pressure as, or if, needed. This is a far more subtle modulation than the pre-ABS days of "pumping" the brakes. As a result of my practice of braking as hard as possible without activating ABS, my stopping distance has decreased so much that I really have to be careful of who or what is behind me in fear they will not be able to stop as quickly as I can. This is not to say I can out brake a pro racer on a pure sport bike. But I do have a lot more confidence in braking with ABS by NOT activating it, than when I first starting riding with it.
xlxr, I think you nailed it.  There are many charts, graphs, and studies that show ABS is better or worse, but they are usually done by professional riders under controlled conditions.   Everyday joes, like us, can maximize their braking by a little practice with their own bike.
Years ago I took the MSF Advanced course, and a lot of our field work was braking under different situations.  Each new bike I own, and every spring at the beginning of riding season, I practice my braking technique.  I'm no Valentino Rossi, but I feel comfortable that I can use my brakes correctly in a panic situation.

I'm just shocked that so many people use the rear brake to the point where ABS kicks in.
You are missing my point. ABS makes practicing hard braking, right up to the point of locking up the brakes, much easier and safer.   I used ABS to improve my braking skills, if you don't practice at finding the limit, you cannot improve your braking skills.  Locking up rear ABS is easy, NOT locking it up takes a lot more practice.  I consider use of rear brake vital to maximize control and minimizing braking distance. 

I'm just shocked that so many people use the rear brake to the point where ABS kicks in.
You are missing my point. ABS makes practicing hard braking, right up to the point of locking up the brakes, much easier and safer.   I used ABS to improve my braking skills, if you don't practice at finding the limit, you cannot improve your braking skills.  Locking up rear ABS is easy, NOT locking it up takes a lot more practice.  I consider use of rear brake vital to maximize control and minimizing braking distance.

I guess I worded my last statement incorrectly.

I'm surprised people use the rear brake at all. I haven't used mine on any of the bikes I've owned.

I guess I worded my last statement incorrectly.  
I'm surprised people use the rear brake at all. I haven't used mine on any of the bikes I've owned.
You should try it, it's not just for slowing you down, applying the rear brake will help settle and stabilise the bike as you go into a corner.

Also in rain you want to apply something like 50/50 braking front and rear.

Loose surfaces, rear becomes more dominant still, although of course with the abs you can use both to your hearts content

If you are not using the rear brake, your braking skills cannot go beyond beginner skill level. With ABS, there is no reason to not practice and improve braking skills, especially with the rear brake, just be going in a perfectly straight line if you practice.

I have locked up the front end at speeds from 30 to 60 mph and the ABS started to modulate. Pre-ABS, the only way to save yourself after locking up the front end was to let go of the front brake immediately. Kind of funny, no matter how hard I try, I simply cannot keep the front brake in ABS modulation, I just instinctively let off the front lever.

• Premium Member
Use my rear brake on every ride. There are several times and places for it if you train. If you don't train then it should still be used for things like questionable surfaces, low speed maneuvers, and when you see oncoming popo but don't want them to notice the front end dive so much :) 

That is the only time I use the rear brake. Never in a panic stop, just don't trust the rear brake not to fling me off due to my skill level (I have seen it happen, so no). I have pulled the front brake so hard the back end came off the ground, so not much use with the rear brake then. I use the rear brake when lane splitting, coming to a stop at a traffic light, low speed maneuvers, sand (impromptu offroading), and POPO sightings of course. YMMV 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I use both brakes pretty much equally but im completely comfortable if either tire breaks loose thanks to many years of dirt biking...i do not want my connection with the bikes behavior under wheel sliding conditions to be tainted by ABS doing its thing...and im actually scared of ABS going off and freaking me out causing a wipeout/accident i never wanted...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

The absolute worst situation for ABS is washboard road bumps that kick the tires off the ground by bouncing the tire up and down, or skidding the tire over the tops of the washboard bumps. It's like not having any brakes at all. In this case, you MUST let off the brake pressure enough to avoid ABS modulation. This is rare for street pavement, but common on dirt roads.

Other than that situation, ABS prevents the wheel from sliding and does not cause it.   Without or without ABS, you should never be on the front brake in a corner so hard to cause loss of traction.  I have not been in that situation with ABS, so I don't know how the FJ 09 will react.  If you are in a corner, too fast, and hit a slick spot like oil on the road, the bike is going to slide out, regardless of ABS or not.

Bottom line, always practice braking and ABS in a straight line, especially for the front.  More advanced riders can use rear brake lightly for trail braking or stabilizing the bike before hitting front brake hard.

Another good reason is consistently practice use of rear brake is in case your front brake fails without warning.   That has happened to me twice in 40 years, once in a car, another on a motorcycle.  Not something I will ever forget.