Lifespan of a Helmet?

beberle

I've got a Shoei RF-1000 that is self destructing. I haven't ridden in 5yrs, and only had 3yrs use before that. The top inner cushion is starting to shed. It seems like I got maybe 6yrs out of my Shoei X-9 before that. Are helmets built with liners that purposely self destruct after 6 or 7 yrs? When replacement helmets cost $600, it brings a tear to my eyes!
- Also, helmets have replaceable liners now... That suddenly changes the longevity equation...

Brian

Helmets are recommended to be replaced 5 years AFTER you started to use them (First day you put them on). They have shelf life of 7 years. Replacement liners are more for getting rid of the funk and fine tuning the fitment. 

• Premium Member
The part that goes bad with a helmet is the internal shock absorbing foam. The shell is normally fine, so just replace the helmet every 5 years.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Probably does not take a $600 helmet to replace what you have in most cases. Lots of nice helmets on Ebay, if its new, and the web. Revzilla has lots of sales. You can even get a new old stock Schuberth for a bit over $500 which is considered to be the best of the best by many. They are normally well over the $600 range. Just part of the sport I guess. Helmets like tires require replacement. I have three beautiful Arai's sitting on my retired shelf and a fourth reminding me to ride responsibly always. It worked well and saved my life I'm told.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

So I guess it's time I replaced my Shoei RF-900?! Helmet still looks great, but yep, inner lining shot.

Always had Shoei's, so I guess a new RF-1200 is in my near future. I'm thinking RF-1200 Mystify TC-4, like this:

RF-1200_Mystify_TC-4.jpg

Ty

'05 Bandit 1200s ( Blue and White ) Bandit pic

2015 FJ-09 ( RED ) FJ-09 pic

• Premium Member
Remember to store your helmet in the house and not in the garage, if you have a garage. The heat and cold and humidity  in a garage can actually aid in shortening the life span.

I'm not convinced that heat or cold will damage the helmet. After all, the lining is sitting at a pretty well regulated 37C for most of the time it is in use. Plus there is no warning on my helmet not to expose it to a 30 mile commute in wintry conditions either.

Storage in a warm, humid environment will encourage microbes, bacteria and fungi, to grow in the lining which isn't going to do the helmet or rider any favours.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Remember to store your helmet in the house and not in the garage, if you have a garage. The heat and cold and humidity  in a garage can actually aid in shortening the life span.

I'm not convinced that heat or cold will damage the helmet. After all, the lining is sitting at a pretty well regulated 37C for most of the time it is in use. Plus there is no warning on my helmet not to expose it to a 30 mile commute in wintry conditions either. 
Storage in a warm, humid environment will encourage microbes, bacteria and fungi, to grow in the lining which isn't going to do the helmet or rider any favours.

Actually the problem in a garage is things like gasoline vapours and exhaust fumes. These will break down the polystyrene liner of the helmet, causing it to prematurely ages & degrade, lowering the effectiveness of the impact absorbing materials in the helmet. 
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

• Premium Member

Actually the problem in a garage is things like gasoline vapours and exhaust fumes. These will break down the polystyrene liner of the helmet, causing it to prematurely ages & degrade, lowering the effectiveness of the impact absorbing materials in the helmet.
My garage is integral to the house, with the inner door across the hall to my bedroom. There is no significant petrol vapour as the bike tank is sealed nor are there any significant exhaust fumes as I don't run the engine inside the garage. There is no difference storing my helmet in the garage to storing it in the lounge or bedrooms. Not every garage is a multi-purpose workshop so making universal rules when each of us has entirely different circumstances is presumptuous at the very least and maybe a little patronising. A helmet should be stored like any other item of clothing, preferably out of sunlight and somewhere dry as UV rays and microbe encouraging moisture are amongst the biggest enemies of fabrics and polymers. Inside my house, that is a shelf in the garage next to the coat & boot rack. 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Can't go wrong with RF-1200. They are very popular. Plus Shoei is coming out with photochrometic shield soon. Too bad it's like $140 for one....
A clear shield for my Schuberth was $90.  After scratching one up when it fell off the bike seat I got a hell of a lot more careful not to drop it.  I'd cry if I scratched up a $140 shield. 
While I like photochromatic stuff (I've spent absurd amounts of money to get prescription lenses that do that), even aside from cost I still prefer having a helmet with a built-in sun visor instead.  Not only do you get a tinted shield whenever you want it but if you're toodling along on a hot day you can leave the main visor open and use the tinted one as partial shield, blocking wind from your eyes but allowing a lot of flow over your lower face.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
My garage is integral to the house, with the inner door across the hall to my bedroom. There is no significant petrol vapour as the bike tank is sealed nor are there any significant exhaust fumes as I don't run the engine inside the garage. There is no difference storing my helmet in the garage to storing it in the lounge or bedrooms. Not every garage is a multi-purpose workshop so making universal rules when each of us has entirely different circumstances is presumptuous at the very least and maybe a little patronising. A helmet should be stored like any other item of clothing, preferably out of sunlight and somewhere dry as UV rays and microbe encouraging moisture are amongst the biggest enemies of fabrics and polymers. Inside my house, that is a shelf in the garage next to the coat & boot rack. 
In your case Wessie, that's great then. No problem with petrol vapours, etc. means no premature degradation of the helmet liner and no issue for you. :) 
I personally keep my helmets all in their bags, out of sunlight and secure so as to prevent accidental drops and damage. Considering the helmet is THE most vital piece of gear a rider owns, it would be prudent to protect that as much as possible for the times when it is called upon to keep ones brains from scrambling on an unintended impact. 

2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

So I guess it's time I replaced my Shoei RF-900?! Helmet still looks great, but yep, inner lining shot. 
Always had Shoei's, so I guess a new RF-1200 is in my near future. I'm thinking RF-1200 Mystify TC-4, like this:

RF-1200_Mystify_TC-4.jpg

Ty

Just bought one of these exact helmets, along with the Transition shield.  Only 300 miles of use so far, and it fits and works well!  I know many get caught up with prices of new helmets and the higher cost but over the life of the helmet we're talking around $100 per year-cheap insurance for your head really.

Archived