Lifespan of a Helmet?

beberle

I think the most important time to replace a helmet is when it's taken an impact. I have friends that scrap them if they fall from the seat to the concrete.

In the 70's I had a Bell Star MX helmet with an Iron Jaw on it that the shell held up on when I hit a car. The Iron Jaw shattered, leaving me with a permanent reminder of that day. (Better the scar than an early funeral.)  My dad kept it in our trophy case for a while.  I had just gotten a new helmet as my dad had destroyed one I'd taken a fall in. Said that a dropped helmet was bad luck.
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

I think the most important time to replace a helmet is when it's taken an impact. I have friends that scrap them if they fall from the seat to the concrete.
I agree with that statement, but also over time the materials degrade due to various factors and even though a helmet looks fine visually, better safe than sorry to replace it as recommended. 

• Premium Member
- i agree that skimping on a helmet is bad juju.

Brian
Here in FL helmets are optional, I see so many people tempting fate in order to look "cool"
The Shoei RF-1100 I won for $20 in raffle tickets at a track day is coming up on the 5 year mark, I doubt I'll be that lucky twice 8-) Probably replace it with another Shoei. Or I could spend $35 for a skid lid like the invincible cruiser riders wear...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I just replaced my shagged RF-1000 with an RF-1200. HUGE difference! I didn't realize how noisy and un-aerodynamic the RF-1000 was until I replaced it. I'm not thinking of replacing my windscreen now.

• 2 years later...
I have a 4 1/2 year old Schuberth C3, probably about 60,000 km. Recently the visor started rattling, pulling it to pieces I noticed every bit of plastic had become brittle and was breaking down. The base plates and gear discs basicly feel apart in my hands. Would have expected more from a premium product.

• Premium Member
I have a 4 1/2 year old Schuberth C3, probably about 60,000 km. Recently the visor started rattling, pulling it to pieces I noticed every bit of plastic had become brittle and was breaking down. The base plates and gear discs basicly feel apart in my hands. Would have expected more from a premium product.
Maybe thats why they say the lifespan is 5 years......

Archived