• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Photos with bag mounts w/o bags

Guest spackler

Sidebag Brackets w/ sidebags and without and no foot pegs as this is how I will do it.
Number 1, how did your bike get so dirty so fast? Number 2, send me your address and I will package up and send you a sponge and some soap. Number 3, I think once you add that lower donkey kicking bracket to the FJ, the bags need to stay on. That thing looks hideous. Maybe it is just the picture?

1.  Rode on wet slimy muddy/gravel road.  Looks like that hugger isn't long enough.  Sometimes a bad road leads to a good road.2.  I washed it yesterday, first dry day in a week.  Note:  Leaving that dirt on the exhaust header for a week did more damage (grim pitting or what ever) to the pipe than 5500 miles on the FZ.3.  Totally agree with the " lower donkey kicking bracket" observation.  All most my exact thoughts when I picked them up, and heavy too.  The weight is why I didn't add back the foot pegs, which will make the cleaning job that much worse.  Although the foot pegs do help hide the Donkey Kicking Bracket some.  Carbon Fiber:  I had the same thought of wrapping the brackets in a carbon fiber look, or painting same.  I am going to try and wrap the FJR bag lids as a first effort to hide the blue.  Maybe I will have extra material and do the brackets.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

The Bracket Kit encludes: The too 1/4" steel brackets, (4) M8 bolts that are longer than the stock ones, washers, a connecting channel that bolts (fixed to [ w/(2) nuts) to the two brackets together for moret lateral support, (4) small bolts to attach the foot peg bracket to the steel brackets, and (2) rubber pads for the bags.   You will have get the adhesive to glue the rubber pads on, Loctite for the bolts.

In two months Hepko Becker should have their Lock It quick removal hard bag mounts available.
I use them on my CB1100 and tbey leave even less hardware then what I see from Yamaha.
2015 FJ-09 matte gray
2013 Honda CB1100
2004 Triumph T100 Bonneville

In two months Hepko Becker should have their Lock It quick removal hard bag mounts available. I use them on my CB1100 and tbey leave even less hardware then what I see from Yamaha.
Are you talking about H&Bs tubular system, like used for BMW, Super Tenere etc. Not pretty and adds more hardware, but if you don't have any options, like on the FZ or a CB1100 I can see it being the best choice.  As I see it the FJ offers the top mounting brackets and for $90 you can get the lower bracket at less than 1/2 the price of a H&B and IMO it looks better.  The Yamaha mounting system is excellent and has proven itself over millions of miles.  Why would you not use it?  I may not familiar with how easy the H&B mounts remove from the bike, I am assuming that is what you would do when you say they leave less hdwr, and if you can explain it would be great. 

It is discouraging that I am too damn dumb to post pictures. Picture tells a thousand words. The H/B racks remove with little left on bike . They cost about$330. And that way I can use the H/B Journey 38L hard bags I have for tbe CB.
2015 FJ-09 matte gray
2013 Honda CB1100
2004 Triumph T100 Bonneville

It is discouraging that I am too damn dumb to post pictures. Picture tells a thousand words. The H/B racks remove with little left on bike . They cost about$330. And that way I can use the H/B Journey 38L hard bags I have for tbe CB.
I understand trying to use the accessories you already own. I will use the FJR side bags I already own, and that being one of the reasons I am selling the FZ. If I had kept the FZ, I would have been looking for H/B racks, but Yamaha solved the trying to make the FZ into a FJ by releasing one. With the bags on, the racks don't make much difference in looks. In reality, the racks left on the bike w/ the bags off doesn't really make a big difference either when you are out riding. It is only when you take pictures that it matters, otherwise it is just a passing thought when you see them on w/o the bags.  If you ride at night and honk you horn a lot, those engine guards look like a nice accessory.  Or if you just like the look of a Adv Tourer with all the accessories etc. it is a good look too.  (Which I kind of like). 

Archived