Dealers... I'll never understand them...

So.. for going on 48 hours now. I've been waiting on the dealer to get back with me with an OTD price plus a breakdown of the extras that I want. They know I have "cash in hand" and have no interest in financing anything...  should be easy peasy.

Yes, I did visit the dealer first and talked with them etc...  as I live an hour away my preference is to make a "deal" via e-mail or verbally and once we're all agreed I'll show up, pay the money and collect my bike. For the life of me they won't get back with me and I have a VERY hard time calling a dealer, or let alone anyone and begging them to let me come drop 12k on something... Maybe it's pride but a minimal amount of attention on their part would go a long way.

I'm sure it'll all work out, no worries there. I just don't understand that mentality. You want to sell something, I have cash in hand, do you have what I want? yes or no.. if yes, lets make a deal and be done with it but it's not on me, it's on the dealer! Crazy I tell ya!!

Doesn't help that it's another beautiful day and I'd rather be riding!

cheers
-caseyh46

• Premium Member
I'd go to another dealer. There, again, distances are compressed in the UK and I have a choice of at least 5 within an hour. Fortunately, the one about a mile away is okay to deal with.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

For whatever reason, bike dealers are still stuck in the 80s... Walk into any new car dealership these days, and it's much more about the customer experience. The bike dealer I just purchased my FJ from is still reading from the bad-dealer rule book. 'Lemme talk the the manager', ' we'll lose money at this price', 'don't tell anyone else about your deal'... They almost believe we don't have access to something called the World Wide Web! 
- note to bike dealers: the bike market is tough, better get w/ the program and treat every customer that comes through your door with a little courtesy. People aren't playing negotiation games any more; give us a reasonable online price and you'll do good volume!  Try to bait-and-switch us w/ dealer prep and hidden fees... NOT!

Brian

Casey,

I completely feel you. A lot of dealers simply won't return phones calls or e-mails, I was just as shocked as you when I started riding. I could guess why that is, but it's just that, a guess. I think bike dealers have to deal with a lot of people who are "interested" but maybe can't actually afford it. I think most people buy a bike as a toy and it's their secondary mode of transportation, so it's quite a different process than cars.

Again, just a guess and doesn't excuse the poor service you get just about everywhere. I haven't had a dealer yet that has really blown me away and I think I visited 4-5 Yamaha dealers before I bought this bike.

Dealers are weird. The dealer I got my bike at isn't really keen on letting people take test drives. I got credit approval, worked out the price, set a date to drive down and get it. I then said the only thing left is I'm going to have to ride it before I purchase as I can't stomach dropping $11k without ever driving it. The dealer said, "I don't know. They don't let people take test drives unless they are really far down the rabbit hole." I then asked how much further I needed to be down the rabbit hole. He then responded, "I guess we can't get much further can we? I guess we can work out a test drive."

Gotta agree with everyone else and I'm glad it's just not me...

To continue the saga.. I finally broke down and called the dude and he said yea, they had a red one but that someone was looking at it at that moment. I said no worries, I'll let him know when we head that way (I'm an hour away from the stealership)

After an hour I shot him an e-mail, said we were on our way and loaded the wife up to head over.

Get there and it's sitting out front, looked like it was ready to go so I avoided sitting on it... good thing because I found the salesperson I'd been dealing with and he said "oh yea, it sold like AS we were on the phone", but we have 3 gray ones! He said he was with a customer (totally fine, I'm not a diva) and he'd find us when he got done (again, totally fine). BRUH! Why didn't you just call/text/e-mail that it sold when you KNEW I wanted the red one?!

After standing around for 20 minutes, I told my wife, let's go.. she said where. .I said HOME, she said why... and I said I'm not going to beg someone to take my 12K dollars! All he had to do was send another guy out or come holler for 2 seconds and tell me he was still busy, I'm cool, just pretend you care for a second lol

So, we get back home, and about 30 minutes after the dealer closes I get a very apologetic and professional e-mail from the guy. They were slammed (I admit, they were) and had a lot of demo rides going on.

He said they'd have a red one in this week...

SO

I'm really trying to not be a jerk about things as the next closest dealer is 2 hours away and it at least seemed like the guy was trying to be cool about it. My only complaint was that he could have sent me a message telling me it was gone, but I digress.

Here's my thoughts, I'm going to tell him I want it, we had already agreed on a price... BUT, they have to deliver it to me, seems fair to me. I'll let everyone know how it goes as they don't open again until Tuesday and I don't have another day off for two weeks.

the saga continues haha!
Cheers and thanks for listening to me bitch
-Caseyh46

Matt Gray FJ on Ebay right now. 2400 miles in Valparaiso, Indiana. Opening bid $5,500.00.

I got fairly irritated with misquotes, mistakes with online advertising, poor attitudes when I was unwilling to do as the sales staff wanted and a 10 minute test ride. So, with a bit more effort, I found and purchased an elderly gentleman's FJ. The bike had 470 miles on it. He felt it was a handful and more bike then he wanted. His dealer allowed him a test ride. Yep, approximately 10 minutes.

I can't change the way recreational dealers operate but I'm unwilling to support their poor customer service either. The sales departments are in the business of selling wants, not needs. I want my buying experience to be a positive one. I deserve that. Give me what I deserve and I'll pay a reasonable price. Anything less and I'll find other alternatives.
Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I spent a lifetime in retail, and another half a lifetime in motorcycle dealerships, mainly BMW.
I know a bit about customer service. Most dealers and their sales staff shouldn't be allowed within a hundred miles - or km - of a customer.
Without doubt they are among the worst at customer relations, product knowledge, professionalism and follow-up, and so forth.   As someone here said - [em]"after all, I only want to spend $12,000"[/em], or whatever it is ($16,000 here in Oz).
After a really crap experience in a local dual Yamaha/ Kawasaki dealership I wrote to the Oz HQ of both companies.   One didn't even bother to respond, the other was defensive, said he or the principal at the dealership would get back to me.   Guess what...
I ended up at a dealership some 70km from home, having pre-arranged a half-day test ride (could have been more if I'd wanted it), and of course bought from them.
Generalising, of course, and I know there are some better ones out there.   The trick is in finding them...
L of S

• Premium Member
My dealer experience yesterday: "I read online about a shift shaft recall; is it implemented in this bike?"

Sales Guy: "The internet forums are great but you get a lot of bad information from them. All our bikes are ready to go."

So after completing the sale, filling out all the DMV paperwork, and getting ready to ride away, Sales Guy introduces me to the service department. I ask the service writer about the recall. "Sure, let's look up your VIN... Hmmm... One sec..."

Naturally they sold me a bike without the recall implemented. So we wasted another 30 minutes filling out new DMV paperwork on a different DJ.

My dealer experience yesterday: "I read online about a shift shaft recall; is it implemented in this bike?" 
Sales Guy: "The internet forums are great but you get a lot of bad information from them. All our bikes are ready to go."

So after completing the sale, filling out all the DMV paperwork, and getting ready to ride away, Sales Guy introduces me to the service department. I ask the service writer about the recall. "Sure, let's look up your VIN... Hmmm... One sec..."

Naturally they sold me a bike without the recall implemented. So we wasted another 30 minutes filling out new DMV paperwork on a different DJ.
lol wow.  I'm not laughing at you but your experience man, but that is absolutely terrible.  That has to be a HUGE no no coming from a liability stand point.  I'm in no position to really take a guess here, but I've visited 10 bike dealers (Yamaha and Honda) in my life and I'd say 1 of the 10 was actually cool and felt like someone was being honest with me.  I get it, they are trying to sell, but when you have to beg and beg for a test ride or for follow-up, it really makes you question their business model. 
Out of curiosity, how many of you think age plays a factor?  I see this going two ways.  Some dealers may not want to deal with a younger crowd because of the lack of credit or income.  Or, they love them, as they know they can tack on some outrageous fees or financing and they'll pay because that young kid really wants the bike.  What have you guys seen over the years?

I've bought a bike at 21 and 30 and now again at 36 from California to Texas to Washington State, I've paid cash and have financed one... in my experience, they all have seemed fairly indifferent to me or my money... It's like they want to sell a bike, but also don't really want to mess with the process. You'd think that most bike dealers are rather smaller outfits. How is it that the sales guys can literally see the parts guys but someone no one bothers to check if the recall had been done? In my experience, that's par for the course..

• Premium Member
This is the third new motorcycle I've purchased. I'm 44 now, I purchased a new Triumph TT600 when I was 30 and a new Katana 600 when I was 19. The Suzuki dealer in 1990 didn't offer me a test ride and I can't say I blamed them. The Yamaha dealer did offer me a test ride (I didn't even have to ask) and setting up financing was quit a bit easier this time, but the Yamaha sales guy was basically a stereotypical vehicle salesman.

When I bought my Triumph in 2000 that was very different, because I paid cash and I already knew the shop owner. I wish Triumph made a bike that appeals to me right now, I would have gone back there in a second.

I had really good communication from the dealer I bought from, but a few things that left me less that thrilled, although overall pretty satisfied. They seem to be a decent dealer so are always super busy and have already sold I think at least 10 fjs and appear to be more Suzuki than Yamaha.
With that said the Harley dealer network seems to be top of the game. If you don't believe me attend a demo days. They encourage you to come take test drives for free, feed you,and offer entertainment.
The folks there were super friendly and knowledgeable although did try to convince me to trade the fj I wasn't having it. Most of the bikes were uncomfortable besides the cvos or not extremely fun to ride besides the nightrod.

• Premium Member
With that said the heavypieceofshet dealer network seems to be top of the game. If you don't believe me attend a demo days. They encourage you to come take test drives for free...
If I wanted to ride a parade float I'd join the Shriners.

Archived