Dealers... I'll never understand them...

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
This is the third new motorcycle I've purchased. I'm 44 now, I purchased a new Triumph TT600 when I was 30 and a new Katana 600 when I was 19. The Suzuki dealer in 1990 didn't offer me a test ride and I can't say I blamed them. The Yamaha dealer did offer me a test ride (I didn't even have to ask) and setting up financing was quit a bit easier this time, but the Yamaha sales guy was basically a stereotypical vehicle salesman. 
When I bought my Triumph in 2000 that was very different, because I paid cash and I already knew the shop owner. I wish Triumph made a bike that appeals to me right now, I would have gone back there in a second.
I've given my views on this elsewhere, but when time came to talk about a [em]lengthy[/em] test-ride, the dealer made the point that had I been very much younger than I am and maybe came in on a sports-bike, they'd look askance at that, and even then require the buyer to be accompanied by a sales guy (I insisted on going out on my own).   Their second point is that offering cash is no real incentive, as they then lose out on a useful amount of commission from the finance company if the bike is bought on terms/ HP/ call it what you will.
In can understand both points...
L of S

My sales experience was top notch, service on the other hand guarantees that I will be using another dealer. Maybe it's because I am used to BMW, the bikes are always under some recall issue, so the service department at my local dealer is tops. My first winter with my GS, I had the infamous and ongoing fuel tank crack issue. This is in January when I noticed the fuel tank was cracked, called the dealer, an hour away, and the owner drove up with an enclosed trailer, brought my bike back to the shop, and when it was repaired, returned it to me. Two weeks ago had my first service done on my FJ. Again, an hour away, I told the service manager that I would need to drop off and pick up my bike on the Saturday preceding and following the service work, no problem. Now this is spring time in Maine, lots of pollen around. I get there and notice my bike is in the lot outside, keys in it. I'm figuring they were expecting me. Closer look and the bike is covered with pollen, and there had been a rain storm three days prior that left patterns in the pollen. With pollen on the key as well. All evidence points that my bike had sat outside, in the open, keys in it, ALL WEEK! Knowing how my mouth works when I get a little excited, I just paid my bill, fired up my bike and rode off. No mention made from the service dept at all about my bike being outside the entire time. Good thing is, Yamaha dealers are all over Maine.

Archived