Official Steel Yamaha rear rack?

Hey everyone.

The last piece to my puzzle to getting everything wrapped up for a trip I'm planning is adding a rear rack to get just a little bit of extra storage.  The plastic one that I see Yamaha offers in the states looks cheap and doesn't look like a lot of things would mount to it, Rotopax for example.

However, looking through the euro catalog, I see a glorious steel rack.  I also found it on this website.

http://www.crescent-motorcycles.com/shop/show_product.asp?product=20150123164645_CRESCENT_7055&category=&menulevel=

Has anyone ordered or obtained the steel rack?

The rack I got from Yamaha in the US, is most certainly a very heavy gauge steel. DO not let the top plate, which is plastic, fool you. :)

The plastic plate mounts last, to the top of the steel rack. I then mounted my steel adaptor plate to the plastic plate (had to drill 4 holes) and now can easily mount and remove my topcase.

Timo,where did you end up finding the steel rack?

Cricket, does it look like it could function without the plastic piece attached to it? I just need a flat broad surface. Idk,just not a fan of plastic when it's supposed to be holding a weight load.

Thanks for your help gents.

Hey guys. I'm new to racks as I've never owned a bike with one. Does the USA rack look very similar to the Euro one if you do not add the plastic top to the USA? I'm curious to see what the USA rack looks like without the plastic bits to determine if or what mounting capabilities it has. Ie extra spaces for hooks, cords, or a way to mount a rotopax. I do not want the plastic on there or to drill through the plastic.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

PS, one of the bigger differences I see is having to remove the passenger handles for the Euro, but not for the US.  The US looks like it requires you to remove the bars for luggage attachments etc directly below the passenger handlebars.

Lastly, the largest and most important piece is, the Euro specs say theirs can hold 10 KG (22 lbs), where the US says 11 lbs.  That's quite a difference.

I will take some pics tonite and post them. But without the plastic top plate, there is very little to mount a topcase to. The US version mounts behind the hard bag mounting brackets.

I suspect the difference in weight has to do with total weight. Since the US has the hard bags and they do not in Europe. Yeah I know it says not to mount all three, but since you can..... and with the over population of lawyers in the US.

The steel rack is very stout, and bolts up directly to the rear subframe, so will easily hold way more than 22lbs. But, with a 150lb passenger, loaded hard bags and then 25lbs in the top case?? Probably not a good idea. :)

• Premium Member
I will take some pics tonite and post them. But without the plastic top plate, there is very little to mount a topcase to. The US version mounts behind the hard bag mounting brackets. 
I suspect the difference in weight has to do with total weight. Since the US has the hard bags and they do not in Europe. Yeah I know it says not to mount all three, but since you can..... and with the over population of lawyers in the US.

The steel rack is very stout, and bolts up directly to the rear subframe, so will easily hold way more than 22lbs. But, with a 150lb passenger, loaded hard bags and then 25lbs in the top case?? Probably not a good idea. :)
It's not just total weight supportable by the subframe.  Because the rack mounts are bolted behind the sidecase mounts, and require substantial additional spacers, that puts the load from the sidebags more than a half inch farther out on the mounting bolts than if there weren't a rear rack.  That's a lot more stress on the bolts, and forces a lower bag load limit even if the rack has no load at all. (I realize that a lot of the load is supported by tension against the spacers, not shear forces on the bolt, but it's still a lot worse.) 
In addition to the problems I just mentioned those extra spacers mean that the mounting brackets that attach to the passenger pegs to support the bottom of the sidebags are in the wrong location. You need to add spacers to the peg mounts to compensate. That lowers the load limit on the peg mounts, too.

Yamaha should say that the two aren't compatible, not just that it's not recommended because of load limits.  They were clearly not designed to work with each other and they don't unless you make further modifications yourself.

I'm going to remove my rack and sell it as soon as I have all of the sidebag hardware.  (Or sooner: If you're looking to buy this rack, and you're in the US, drop me a line and we can make a deal.)

That's too bad because the rack is good quality, but it's more important to me that the sidebags work properly.

The crazy thing is that it would have been possible to use a plate mounted between the sidecase mounting bars and the original spacers, rather than needing giant new additional spacers.  That would have moved the bags out only a few millimeters, probably little enough that you wouldn't need to change anything else and without having much effect on total load limit.  More reason to believe that the guys designing the different systems didn't talk to each other.  They are not a system like a Givi Wingrack, they're two completely different accessories.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Hey everyone.

Scuff, I actually saw those pics of your rack. It looks awesome, so I appreciate your doing that. I dislike having to remove the plastic handlebars for the passenger, however, it's my first choice over the US Spec rack. The USA rack appears to have a smaller rack space and the weight restriction is less.

The funny thing is, I will never mount a rear hard case to it. I simply need it to mount my dry bag and tent. The passenger seat is occupied with a duffel and sleeping bag :) Now, I just need to find a dealer to sell and ship me that Euro spec one overseas.

Hey everyone. 
The last piece to my puzzle to getting everything wrapped up for a trip I'm planning is adding a rear rack to get just a little bit of extra storage.  The plastic one that I see Yamaha offers in the states looks cheap and doesn't look like a lot of things would mount to it, Rotopax for example.

However, looking through the euro catalog, I see a glorious steel rack.  I also found it on this website.

http://www.crescent-motorcycles.com/shop/show_product.asp?product=20150123164645_CRESCENT_7055&category=&menulevel=

I have ordered but not received it yet. It is coming via Royal Mail from the UK.If you are interested in the Euro accessories these guys ship pretty much anywhere and it was cheaper than the US rack http://yamabits.co.uk/  

Hey everyone. 

I have ordered but not received it yet. It is coming via Royal Mail from the UK.If you are interested in the Euro accessories these guys ship pretty much anywhere and it was cheaper than the US rack http://yamabits.co.uk/
Thanks Vince.  I actually checked them out, but looks like they don't carry the rear rack any longer.  My trip is 2 months from now, so I have a little time, but hopefully it doens't take longer than 20-30 days to receive.

A quick update guys.

I've had one store from abroad mentioned they have the Euro rack in stock, but want $111 for shipping, so about $250 or so shipped. That's a little more than I want to spend on a rack of course.  The US spec one isn't that bad, as I'm assuming somehow I could get a Rotopax to mount to the metal portion of the rack if I took off the plastic. With that said though, it still has me pondering why it says 11 lbs for the US rack. I will not be using the side bags, so does it still require spacers? I don't see why it's such a large difference in weight. My Redverz tent weighs more than that rack can handle!

Thanks to Vince, I pulled the trigger on the euro spec rack. I was concerned regarding the weight of the US spec, although I think the US spec looks better. However, I will never have this on my bike except for long travels. I paid $155 with shipping to California. Such a great deal, seeing at the MSRP on a US rack is $170.

I think they ran out of stock a few weeks back as they removed the item from their website. I was informed yesterday tha its up and running so I ordered.

http://yamabits.co.uk/yamaha-mt-09-tracer-steel-luggage-rack.html

Archived