Official Steel Yamaha rear rack?

It's not just total weight supportable by the subframe.  Because the rack mounts are bolted behind the sidecase mounts, and require substantial additional spacers, that puts the load from the sidebags more than a half inch farther out on the mounting bolts than if there weren't a rear rack.  That's a lot more stress on the bolts, and forces a lower bag load limit even if the rack has no load at all. (I realize that a lot of the load is supported by tension against the spacers, not shear forces on the bolt, but it's still a lot worse.) 
In addition to the problems I just mentioned those extra spacers mean that the mounting brackets that attach to the passenger pegs to support the bottom of the sidebags are in the wrong location. You need to add spacers to the peg mounts to compensate. That lowers the load limit on the peg mounts, too.

JimF,   Thanks for pointing that out.  Very annoying that the side bag mounts have to be moved outward to accommodate the US rack.  I have a rack on order but will cancel it if I can get that nifty euro design one.  I am fitting FJR bags to my FJ-09. 

• 2 weeks later...
Quite funny that you want the euro version and I want the US version :P (I live in Norway)

To me it seems that the US rack is better supported to the frame than the euro rack?

Givi has developed their own rack: http://media.givi.it/XN-Prodotti/istruzioni/SR2122.pdf
Maybe that's an even better solution? For sale here: http://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/2185-GIVI-SR2122-Rack/

What to do.....?

Quite funny that you want the euro version and I want the US version :P (I live in Norway) 
To me it seems that the US rack is better supported to the frame than the euro rack?

Givi has developed their own rack: http://media.givi.it/XN-Prodotti/istruzioni/SR2122.pdf
Maybe that's an even better solution? For sale here: http://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/products/2185-GIVI-SR2122-Rack/

What to do.....?

Hi Avon.

Ironically, I just got my euro rack here today.  I bought it because from Yamaha, it says it has a higher weight limit than the US and I'll be loading this thing up.  My rack will only be on there on trips, not while in town.  However, I must say, this thing seems seriously heavy duty.  There are 3 mounts to the side and 1 on top under the seat for each side, so 6 mounting points.  I can't imagine a strong rack quite honestly.  If I tackle putting it on this weekend, I'll upload some pics.

• Premium Member
I'm ready to order the MT-09 Tracer Euro Rack for my FJ-09!  I've got FJR bags on order and don't want to use the USA rack which requires mounting to the same location as the bags (adding width as well as potentially weakening the support capability).

I see the Euro Rack as available from Crescent Motorcycle Co., and also from YamaBits.  The current pricing I'm seeing from YamaBits is $170 (after conversion from the Pound) including shipping to California.  Crescent Motorcycle Co. has the rack itself as slightly cheaper but don't tell you the shipping cost (online anyway) until after you place the order (the website say a sales rep will call you to arrange shipping).  Does anyone know what Crescent is charging for shipping to the USA?

Also, my plan is to attach a Givi Top Box I already own.  Has anyone made this attachment?  I assume I'll have to get a Givi plate for this.  Will I need do some drilling, or will it go on without the need to drill. 

Thanks! 

Hi Avon. 
Ironically, I just got my euro rack here today.  I bought it because from Yamaha, it says it has a higher weight limit than the US and I'll be loading this thing up.  My rack will only be on there on trips, not while in town.  However, I must say, this thing seems seriously heavy duty.  There are 3 mounts to the side and 1 on top under the seat for each side, so 6 mounting points.  I can't imagine a strong rack quite honestly.  If I tackle putting it on this weekend, I'll upload some pics. 

6 mountingpoints? Can't be the same rack that is offered in Norway that has only two?

Here is a link to the official Yamaha norwegian webpage:

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/no/produkter/motorsykler/mt/mt-09-tracer.aspx?view=accessories&partcode=2PP-FRLUG-00-00&year=2015

Can you provide a link to your rack please?

At work guys but yamabits was way cheaper. Crescent wanted 80 usd for shipping I believe. I think. I paid 140 shipped to California from yamabits. I'll get the mounting info soon but I see 8 total mounting points, I'll check when I'm home.

At work guys but yamabits was way cheaper. Crescent wanted 80 usd for shipping I believe. I think. I paid 140 shipped to California from yamabits. I'll get the mounting info soon but I see 8 total mounting points, I'll check when I'm home.

Ahhh, now I finally get it! I thought the eurorack was mounted only at two points where the passenger handles are connected ... :-X

That looks very secure now, but I don't understand why they have this note:

"The luggage rack is engineered and developed ONLY for general luggage support such as soft bags, etc.
It is NOT suitable for installation and mounting of any top cases nor any additonal mounting plates"

I need a top case because my daughter often like to go with me.

Now what? :-/

• Premium Member
Ahhh, now I finally get it! I thought the eurorack was mounted only at two points where the passenger handles are connected ... :-X

"The luggage rack is engineered and developed ONLY for general luggage support such as soft bags, etc.
It is NOT suitable for installation and mounting of any top cases nor any additonal mounting plates"

I would just do it anyway and try not to load it heavily. 
I'm not sure which rack you got, but the one I got:

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/fj-09-rear-rack

specifically says that it's for hard and soft luggage.  It looks like there are two compatible top cases:

https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/yamaha-39l-top-case
https://www.yamahapartsandaccessories.com/product/details/yamaha-50l-top-case

although I question the usefulness of the 50L case when the rack weight limit is so low.

I'm thinking of getting the 39L case for commuting.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Man, I'm sorry... I'm losing my mind.  It's 2 mounts per side.  The other 2 mounts are to attach the metal plate.  Sorry for the misguided information.  It's still pretty sturdy, as I believe both bolts mount under the passenger seat.  I'd just get a top case and not worry about it unless your loading up bullion. 

Archived