Deceleration Stalling

Four times now, in 2200 miles, my FJ-09 has stalled while slowing for a stop sign, two times prior to ECU reflash and two times since reflash. Same scenario every time.

[ul type=disc][*]Riding slow and mellow for more than 30 minutes. Bike is fully warm.[*]Approaching a stop sign, start downshifting 1 gear at a time, and re-engaging clutch. These are very mellow downshifts, and rpm is about 3000 once the clutch is engaged.[*]When I pull in the clutch to click into the next lower gear (2nd or maybe 3rd once), engine stalls.[*]3 times, letting the clutch out causes rear wheel slide but no restart. 1 time engine restarted with clutch.[*]Press starter and engine fires right up with no noticeable problems.[/ul]
Has not happened when riding more aggressively.

Anyone else having this lazy deceleration stall issue?
Any ideas what the cause may be?

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

TPS/APS sensor adjustment is a good guess. Is the throttle free play set correctly?

It could also be lean spot that the engine just can't recover from and this causes the stall. In which case, the fueling might need to be richened up.

Any codes visible, check engine light on?

The only time this happened to me I was very low on fuel and the fuel pump sucked air. Restarted immediately.

Since your ecu has been re flashed, my first call would be to them... (Even though it happened before the flash). They may have had this complaint on similar models.

-skip

• 2 months later...
Does anyone know what the problem was on this bike? I'm having the same issue right now. 3x I approach the same stop sign and the bike always dies out as I approach. Fires right up if I pull the clutch and hit start. Strange thing is its always this 1 stop sign. 

• Premium Member
One thing to eliminate as a possible cause is the ignition switch. I have found that it is possible to turn the switch on, but not quite in the fully on position. It will make contact and the bike will start, but, acceleration, lateral movement or breaking can make it lose contact. You will lose all warning lights and the digital dashboard momentarily or until you switch it off and on again. It happened twice to me, but I now consciously make sure I turn they key fully on.

Sounds like a TPS problem? My old TDM started doing a similar thing, when I looked into it, a lot of TDM's were recalled due to this.
mine too 
it is very random thingy. especially when the engine is really hot OR moving off from standstill OR coming to a slow stop.

• 4 weeks later...
I just experienced this yesterday for the first time. I'm at about 5k miles and have never had it happen previously. I downshifted into first, going quite slow up to a stop sign, and right before the stop sign I pulled the clutch full in and stopped, and then the engine cut out (about 160 coolant temp, been riding for about 30 minutes). I know there is another thread I couldn't find atm where others mentioned issues with keys not being fully in on or the switch.

Before restarting I confirmed my key was all the way to on and would not turn any farther, and the switch was full on run. It fired right back up with no issue. At the next stop sign I did the same thing and even tried to vary the clutch from full pull to almost half way (mine doesn't engage until about 3/4 out), and I could not get it to stall or even grab (I wasn't expecting it to engage but thought maybe it was a clutch issue). Before I started out I did get the cold start issue and tried to hold the starter for several seconds to record [forgot to hit record of course]).

• 4 months later...
Same problem here.  Yamaha refuse to admit they have a problem with the bike.  I am sure a lot of riders has that issue but do not report as it happen very rarely.
My bike is at the dealer now to find what the problem is,  as I called Yamaha headquarter to complain,   reason is  I fell when it happen exactly on a slow turn and I injured my leg (muscle) so bad I could no walk for over 2 weeks.   very pissed.

all rider with this issue, please call Yamaha at 800 962-7926 ASAP, they need to know it is not only me to understand there should be a recall on it.

so far I am the only one who complain to them and it is not good.

• Premium Member
Same problem here.  Yamaha refuse to admit they have a problem with the bike.  I am sure a lot of riders has that issue but do not report as it happen very rarely. My bike is at the dealer now to find what the problem is,  as I called Yamaha headquarter to complain,   reason is  I fell when it happen exactly on a slow turn and I injured my leg (muscle) so bad I could no walk for over 2 weeks.   very pissed.

all rider with this issue, please call Yamaha at 800 962-7926 ASAP, they need to know it is not only me to understand there should be a recall on it.

so far I am the only one who complain to them and it is not good.

Experienced this a couple times over the summer link.  Anyone else call it in yet? 

• Premium Member
Is there a form online somewhere to report these issues to Yamaha headquarters or is a phone call necessary?
Feedback form here http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/designcafe/en/index.aspx?view=surveyoverview 
It's on the EU site but will get back to the design team

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Archived