Rear brake pedal travel

beberle

I'm not thrilled with the responsiveness of the back brake. Feels like the back pedal travels a good inch before any braking begins. Even then, it takes a good bit of pressure for any braking force. 
- Has anyone tried or thought about more aggressive brake pads on the back? Or maybe upgrading the master cylinder?
Brian

• Premium Member
Have you tried adjusting the pedal to ensure your foot is not travelling a bit before pressing the pedal? I ask this as I'm happy with the way it works, where the action seems to be fairly progressive but not linear, from slight retardation to full on ABS engagement.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Definite pedal travel before the master cylinder kicks in/ I feel ANY braking. I don't have enough braking power to lock up the back tire on a dry road. At least without standing on the pedal :-/
- sounds like I need to look closer and maybe bleed the system. 

Two thumbs up for EBC HH pads on the rear. Just a guesstimate, but an easy 25-30% increase in stopping power. To me, front-to-rear braking just feels more balanced now.  Per the picture, part # is FA174HH for the rear pads. Paid $30 shipped from Amazon. I also saw a complete front & back sets in the $90 range, but I'm pretty happy with the front brakes. More aggressive riding in the mountains or track, and I'd get EBCs for the front as well.
- the quality of the EBCs appeared to be equal to the OEM Nissin pads. 

87A68455-89A3-46A5-80BC-A15D01FA9CE4.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Good info Beberle! I like to trail brake and the rear on mine is currently rubbish. Will adjust the lever, bleed the brake and then change pads if necessary.
I have used many sets of EBC brake pads racing - good stuff at a decent price.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived