Older biker close to purchasing a FJ-09

Going to look again tomorrow. Have a bunch of older bikes; Buell M2 Cyclone, Honda Super Hawk, Honda Magna. Would really like something that I can ride longer distances without worrying about aging components. I love my older bikes but it's starting to feel like they are best for fun, shorter trips.Have considered the gamut of liter bikes but the price seems out of proportion to the amount of value I would receive- just too big a financial commitment! Would like to hear from another 6'+ older rider with respect to ergonomics, etc. THANKS!!

6 foot 57 year old here. Bad knees and picky about ergo's. I have an FJR, previous Gen 1 FZ-1 and Versys 650. All were/are comfortable once windshields and suspension were sorted.

Many like the new versys 1000 but it is almost 600 pounds. Sit on it, very very perfect. I went lighter with the FJ-09 and enjoy every ride, longest day has only been 350 miles but could have added more.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Going to look again tomorrow. Have a bunch of older bikes; Buell M2 Cyclone, Honda Super Hawk, Honda Magna. Would really like something that I can ride longer distances without worrying about aging components. I love my older bikes but it's starting to feel like they are best for fun, shorter trips.Have considered the gamut of liter bikes but the price seems out of proportion to the amount of value I would receive- just too big a financial commitment! Would like to hear from another 6'+ older rider with respect to ergonomics, etc. THANKS!!
~5'10" here on a good day.  Nudging 76yo.   I like the FJ for its comfy ergos, similar in 'feel' to my previous and much-loved GSs (that are now too big and heavy for me).   Screen is OK, but I do live in a balmy climate.   Seat is rubbish - new one coming (Seat Concepts - see many post here).   Out-of-the-box suspension was harsh - I've fixed that to a fair level of satisfaction.   I like to ride longer distances and think that now the FJ will suit me well - maybe not quite 'up-there' in some respects with, say, a GS for distance touring, but rather more than acceptable, I hope.   That's what I bought it for anyway... Another genuine benefit for me - lacking muscles - is its light weight, enabling easy shoving around in the garage, etc.
I seem to enjoy the FJ more every time I take it out - after ~2000kms it's a fair leap from my many earlier boxer twins, but I've stopped making comparisons and started enjoying the FJ for what it is - a sports-bike lightly disguised as a tourer!
Enjoy!
Lawrence of Suburbia [em] (‘39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

2015 Matte Grey Tracer – now at 1956 km – Grip Puppies; Stebel Magnum audible warning device; Skene P3 rear lights set; Knuckleguard LEDs; Seat Concepts Comfort seat (coming)
[/em]

I'm 64 and 6'3" and pretty skinny 180 pounds. Love my FJ-09. I also like older bikes like you, currently own a 1993 TDM 850 Yamaha and a 2000 ZX-11 Ninja. Love 'em both but the next long trip will be on the FJay. I've learned from reading all the posts that every item of comfort is totally subjective and no two riders will agree on much of anything. The bike's seat is unacceptable but I haven't decided on a solution yet. I'm still considering the Yamaha Comfort seat and would try it if I could figure out their return policy in case it's not an improvement. Skeptical about the Seat Concepts do-over which is lower in price but I haven't seen anybody raving about the finished product. Suspension requires a bit of sorting out as L of S mentioned. I had mine professionally set-up by a local mechanic who knows what he's doing and now it's okay, but not great. Windscreen is fine for me in the low position, I have no desire to change or modify it at all. But those are negatives. The positives greatly outweigh them. The power is terrific. It handles the curves like a dream. It feels light like a dirt bike (in a good way). And it's SO much fun. I don't know where you live but take a long test ride if you can. I did, and it made a big difference. Then make sure to read the Out the Door price thread before buying, it saved me close to $2,000. Have fun and ride safely!!

Hotboot, have you found the relatively small fairing/ screen on the FJ-09 to be adequate? Thanks!
Yes. Cal-Sci shorty lets the wind hit mid to top of helmet. I have not toured more than 400 miles on the bike with this combo yet, I still think it would work fine. A heavy rain would most likely drench the neck, have not experienced that yet.

Well after reexamining this new vs older bike issue and spending some time both on the FJ and rolling the financials around I came to the conclusion that I will stay the course with my old bikes. Although the FJ seems like a really nice machine I just can't rationalize the expenditure for the few number of times that a new machine will improve my riding over what I currently experience. Best to you all and thanks for your insights.

Archived