Seat Concepts kit arrived...

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Nice-looking product. My local auto/ boat upholsterer took less than 24 hours for installation from drop-off to pick-up.    Finished job looks good, but a very short 20km or so spin today gave no real conclusions as to how it will perform.
So I'll get out tomorrow for one of my favourite ~440km circuits over all sorts of terrain, and will report back!Fingers, toes, and cojones all crossed for a good result...
Meantime, here's a pic.   The rider's seat seems to be flatter towards the rear, and more 'dished' so that one is sitting [em]in[/em] rather than [em]on[/em] the perch... checking while riding, I find that I am sitting one finger's width forward of the front edge of the rear seat.
L of S
http://i.imgur.com/XzCZy7I.jpg

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Nice-looking product. My local auto/ boat upholsterer took less than 24 hours for installation from drop-off to pick-up.    Finished job looks good, but a very short 20km or so spin today gave no real conclusions as to how it will perform. So I'll get out tomorrow for one of my favourite ~440km circuits over all sorts of terrain, and will report back!Fingers, toes, and cojones all crossed for a good result...
Meantime, here's a pic.   The rider's seat seems to be flatter towards the rear, and more 'dished' so that one is sitting [em]in[/em] rather than [em]on[/em] the perch... checking while riding, I find that I am sitting one finger's width forward of the front edge of the rear seat. L of S
http://i.imgur.com/XzCZy7I.jpg

UPDATE - I took the Tracer out today for pretty good ride to test the new Seat Concepts perch.

We left home just on 10am, rolled back into the garage just before 4pm, so it was a full day out. In these first few days of what is laughingly called winter here a cold front rolling up the east coast of Oz had brought temperatures tumbling down from recent late-autumn mid to high 20ºsC – say high 70°sF, while dumping snow further south, much to the delight of the skiing fraternity.

It was 16ºC when I left home, rose to 18ºC as the day went by, finally getting up to a giddy 20ºC nearing home late in the day . Thankfully I’d put in my quilted jacket-liner, first time worn in months!

[em]I insert these meteorological notes for those who think that in Oz it’s always hot - it’s not!
[/em]
For my Oz chums, the ride took me along a variety of road surfaces ranging from very good to pretty ordinary, SW from Brisbane’s outer SE bayside suburbs to Warwick, across the Great Dividing Range at Cunningham’s Gap, then N to Toowoomba, finally E to home.

Since the whole purpose was to test the seat I put in a first non-stop leg of 193km, taking 2 hours 13 mins for that part of the ride. After a short break of only twenty minutes or so for coffee and refuelling, the day’s second and final non-stop leg was of 240km, taking exactly three hours.   A day's total, then, of 433km and five-and-a-quarter hours on the bike, broken by one short stop.

Assisting the comfort of the bike overall, the tweaked suspension is markedly improved, and I will now leave it strictly alone as I’m not sure there’s much more to gain.

[em]Impressions[/em]: the Seat Concepts perch is an improvement on stock: but then a stone memorial slab would also have been an improvement! If pressed to put some sort of numbers on it – impossible, really, with such a subjective thing – I’d say that if my plush all-day-long BMW [em]komfortsitz [/em]rated 10/10 and the stock Tracer seat 2/10 (being generous), the replacement SC item rates perhaps 7 or 8/10.

A little disappointing, but to put it into better perspective, with the new seat I will now be able, I’m sure, to handle the typical 500km to 700km days (but often more) on my longer multi-day interstate trips in reasonable comfort.   
Compare this with the stock seat, which was not just uncomfortable but actually painful after no more than a hundred or so km.   I'll now be able to start thinking with some confidence about my next planned longer trip away, tentatively of about 7,000km later in the year...

Certainly on the new seat today I wasn’t squirming around after half-an-hour looking for relief, so I’m sure that apart it offering a decent improvement on my longer trips, it will also be even better for my more frequent day-rides, which rarely exceed today’s total distance of around 400km, usually with two or more stops too.

[em]Money well spent?[/em] – I think so, as I simply would not have been able to live with the tortuous OE seat as it was. Of course and as always, YBMV…

And BTW - I was hoping to make this the final farkle, but on today’s ride concluded that some mirror-stem extenders would improve rear vision, even though the 2”Ø spot mirrors do help (and will be retained anyway)…

Lawrence of Suburbia [em] (‘39 model)
Brisbane
Queensland
Australia

2015 Matte Grey Tracer – now at 2428km – Grip Puppies; Stebel Magnum audible warning device; Skene P3 rear lights set; Knuckleguard LEDs; Seat Concepts Comfort seat.

[/em]

• Premium Member
Since the whole purpose was to test the seat I put in a first non-stop leg of 193km, taking 2 hours 13 mins for that part of the ride. After a short break of only twenty minutes or so for coffee and refuelling, the day’s second and final non-stop leg was of 240km, taking exactly three hours.   A day's total, then, of 433km and five-and-a-quarter hours on the bike, broken by one short stop....

It's too bad that your report was so lacking in detail. :) Nice write up.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Since the whole purpose was to test the seat I put in a first non-stop leg of 193km, taking 2 hours 13 mins for that part of the ride. After a short break of only twenty minutes or so for coffee and refuelling, the day’s second and final non-stop leg was of 240km, taking exactly three hours.   A day's total, then, of 433km and five-and-a-quarter hours on the bike, broken by one short stop....
It's too bad that your report was so lacking in detail. :) Nice write up.
That was only Part 1!   Part 2 details what I had on the toast I ate with my mid-morning coffee: how much fuel was added at the servo: and how my doggie greeted me on my return home.  ::) L of S

Archived