Footpeg slider pegs holding me back?

The stock foot pegs come with these little slider knobs that I manage to put on the ground quite often.  Perhaps this is because I come from riding an R6 and I'm riding this bike more like a sport bike, or maybe I don't know what I'm doing and I'm over leaning the bike.  I'm no professional rider, and even with my R6 I never managed to get my knees down.  Are these knobs on the foot pegs to prevent me leaning so far as to put a knee down?  What's the deal with them? Can I take them off are they holding me back or are they keeping me up?

• Premium Member
remove them - 7mm spanner/wrench needed

look terrible, snag your trousers, especially waterproof overtrousers that have a velcro flap and I find the toe of my boot touches down before anything else to give me a warning I might need to back off a bit
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Anyone know if they're there to keep you from grounding the centerstand? If that touches down, it can lever the rear wheel off the ground... makes for a spectacular high side. I agree they limit cornering clearance, and I'm touching mine down regularly. On my VStrom, I removed them, and promptly grounded the centerstand. I was lucky to avoid the above mentioned spectacular high side, but it was definitely an eye opener.

You can use a little body english to decrease lean angle necessary for a given corner, but ultimately they're going to touch.

Just my opinion but the pegs were put there for a reason and actually look quite good. Appearance is subjective.  If your toe is the first thing to touch the pavement then you're asking for trouble. Ever think about what happens if the toe catches on a bit of rough pavement? At the very least you may have a broken foot/ankle. If your riding gear is catching on the pegs or anything else down there then the problem is your pants - not the pegs.

• Premium Member
Just my opinion but the pegs were put there for a reason and actually look quite good. Appearance is subjective.  If your toe is the first thing to touch the pavement then you're asking for trouble. Ever think about what happens if the toe catches on a bit of rough pavement? At the very least you may have a broken foot/ankle. If your riding gear is catching on the pegs or anything else down there then the problem is your pants - not the pegs.
I can't say I've ever had trouble with that, and I've touched my toes down many times.  On most of my bikes if I'm riding with my arches on the peg my toes will touch down before the feelers anyway.  I just move my foot to put the ball on the peg if this happens. 
I don't know if my toes would touch down before the feelers on the FJ because I removed the feelers so that I could more easily put the sidestand down.  They definitely touch long before the centerstand though. :-)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Yamaha has been doing this on alot for their bikes, My FZ6R has this as well. They are there simply so that when you do touch from leaning (or accidentally drop the bike) you do not destroy the foot pegs on the bike because that little peg is alot cheaper to fix than the entire peg assembly. No harm to take them off but a scratched up peg looks alot better than a scratched up foot peg in my opinion and if you are touching as frequently as it sounds might actually be a good idea to leave them on. Just my personal opinion feel free to do as you please!  :D

• Premium Member
Yes and no. First off, they are amazingly ugly. Hillary ugly. Enough about that. I am more afraid of what they will snag, as they are sooooo longggg.Mine came off first thing and I posted up a how to months ago. The bike will lean pretty far before the centerstand touches, but it will touch if you are heavy and really leaning. Had a friend that use to have an F-Jay that did just that and lived to tell about it. If you ride over your head, and don't worry about snagging your pants, leave them on. If you know your limits and have almost dumped the bike due to snagging, take them off. YMMV 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest fzrcraig
I would just consider it fair warning. Shorter ones intended for other models may fit - have a look at the dealer.

Guest bmidd
There's a reason boots come with replaceable toe sliders. I ride on the balls of my feet when riding fast and the sides of my feet touch down often. The only time I ever really scraped peg feelers on any bike was from shetty body position. I have no peg feelers on mine BTW, they were literally twice as long as any I have ever had on a bike.  Disclaimer: Video is from 2011 and I don't ride like this on the street anymore...this is a secluded road in a National Forest @ 7am. Do not try this at home.
2 stock motored 600's with suspension improvements, toes touched down! But no knees!
PT Cruiser @ 6 minutes was the Sheriff's wife on the way to church, the morning got very interesting.

• Premium Member
Video is set as private... can't watch. 

deal_zpsdqn2guio.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest bmidd
Video is set as private... can't watch. 

deal_zpsdqn2guio.gif

Fixed. Sorry about that, I have a couple hundred videos and keep them private so we don't get any blow back. That was my first time on that road and in one of the best corners there is a pothole that destroys my line every time.

Archived