Motorcycle cover for the FJ-09

nhridah

• Premium Member
I usually garage my bikes, but do take some trips that I will require having a motorcycle cover. 
Any suggestions, anyone have any luck finding a good full cover.  I do not like the half cover offered by Yamaha.

There was a previous post somewhere that might have had additional info, but I use the Nelson Riggs Extra large from amazon for like $40.  It fits over the bike completely with room to spare.  It can be put on hot as well.  When wet water does seep through a little but usually only on the seats.  My large was great that i used on my FZ6R (sold with the bike), but my extra large did get a slight tear, not sure how.  There are a lot of pieces on the bike to get caught on a cover.  

I have a Nelson-Rigg S2000 (??) 1/2 cover that I've been using on my FJR for years. I'll probably pack that on any overnight FJ-09 trips too. Light weight, packs small and gives good protection. I think I paid $30 in 2009.

I bought this one from Amazon.  http://www.amazon.ca/docooler-Motorcycle-Waterproof-Prevention-Dustproof/dp/B00HWPM2ZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433615210&sr=8-1&keywords=motorcycle+cover

I thought I measured correctly and according to their chart a large should've fit.  Barely covers half the bike With a top case on.

It is light and super easy to pack though.

I bought http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/28886/i/motocentric-centrek-motorcycle-cover?Siteid=AvantLink_41227-55963-NA&WT.MC_ID=54020 in the large size. With a rack it fits a little too high on the rear tire so if it gets windy it'll slide up the back of the tire exposing the chain. The large size will not fit with saddle bags and/or rack case. So far the cover is holding up well, I will most likely get the xl or xxl when I get my saddle bags.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an extra-large full cover from Tourmaster.  It fits with the OEM side cases and top case installed. It provides a perfect fit with enough tension to protect from rain. 

G8r

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I can understand using a bike cover if you park the bike outside in winter, but overnight on a trip? Sure boggles my mind.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I can understand using a bike cover if you park the bike outside in winter, but overnight on a trip? Sure boggles my mind.
you clearly work for the wrong government department in Cheltenham if you don't understand why some people need to go under cover...

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
you clearly work for the wrong government department in Cheltenham if you don't understand why some people need to go under cover...
Well, FWIW, my mind boggles at wessie's need to carry 80L of luggage on his nine-days trip to France! What is he taking with him - the grand piano?   I'd like to see a list of the stuff he carried - I'd bet it could be significantly whittled-away without any problems (unless, of course, he was taking spare capacity to return with bottles of cheap French [em]vins[/em])! On a 14,710km circumnavigation of Oz some time ago I managed quite adequately with a 40L case strapped onto the rear seat pan (two-piece seat on the GS).   More recently, a three-week 5,700km interstate trip including eight days around Tasmania was more than comfortably dealt with by a 32L top-box.
Often, less is more!   But - clearly - YMMV!
L of S

[span] On a 14,710km circumnavigation of Oz some time ago I managed quite adequately with a 40L case strapped onto the rear seat pan (two-piece seat on the GS).   More recently, a three-week 5,700km interstate trip including eight days around Tasmania was more than comfortably dealt with by a 32L top-box.[/span]

Often, less is more!   But - clearly - YMMV!
On my recent 5K km tour of the Canadian Maritimes I had 80 ltr of luggage capacity, but only about 80% full. Included camping gear (2 sleeping bags, 2 thermarests...) I carry 4 pairs of riding gloves: regular, hot weather, cold weather, rain.  
I'm looking forward to using my Mosko Moto ADV style Reckless 80 soft bags. They are 80 ltr bags, but can go up to 100 or down to 40. And they're 100 % waterproof.

But I don't carry a motorcyle cover.  :) A small cloth to wipe off overnight rain works fine for me.
FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I guess you don't have tree sap, pollen, ashes from fire pits, etc. where your ride, camp, adventure out etc.
I like to protect my investment and find removing tree sap a real pain in the ass task.  I rather it hit the cover rather than the bike, I do try to park away from trees when I can but living in New England you don't always have that pleasure.  I summer up by a lake here in New Hampshire spend at least 4 days a week every week there and the only parking area is canopied by crappy pine trees.  Hopefully this makes you understand the need for a bike cover.