Adjustable levers

Installed ASV Shorty levers; work great.
I'm going with ASV's also.    I like their adjustment wheel rather than lever which typically only moves 5 positions.  Shorties for me especially clutch as I've a nerve damaged left arm which can be a challenge.  Yamaha lists them in their accessory guide but last week they were back ordered. 

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been running the "TheTwoWheels" levers on my last three bikes, Ducati, BMW, and Yamaha FZ-09. They work very well but the colors will bleach in the direct sun over time, but for the price you can get new levers every other year, or go with factory silver color and be done with it.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
I picked up the fp racing levers as seen below due to the Pazzos being on backorder

Installed and took to yamaha dealer to check adjustment, free play ,etc

They said with it set all the way out to 6 on the dial , and lever pulled all the way up against the grip that it should be in by another inch.

Long term this will cause clutch problems, which I don't want on a brand new bike

Any advice, probably will just put back on the stock levers

https://www.motomummy.com/levers/fp-racing-sport-lever-set/

• Premium Member
I picked up the fp racing levers as seen below due to the Pazzos being on backorder 

They said with it set all the way out to 6 on the dial , and lever pulled all the way up against the grip that it should be in by another inch.

Long term this will cause clutch problems, which I don't want on a brand new bike

I've been using these for the past 10 months, and they are just fine. Price is right also. http://www.amazon.com/USL-258-Adjustable-Motorcycle-Clutch-2015-Gold/dp/B00T3WMIQU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1454529393&sr=8-1&keywords=USL-258 

The ASV levers have a *lifetime* warranty against breakage, no exclusions whatsoever. Plus they claim universal fit so you could keep them for another bike if you sell yours. Very cool!!
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

I'm confused? Were they saying that even with the clutch lever pulled in it was still not disengaging fully, or was there a different issue?

I'm confused? Were they saying that even with the clutch lever pulled in it was still not disengaging fully, or was there a different issue?

That's my understanding and being a new bike and extended warranty purchased, stealer ship or not , I'm not mechanical inclined to fix any major issues with clutch internals, if it did ever happen, who knows. Keep in mind only adjustments were made at the lever adjuster dial.

That's my understanding and being a new bike and extended warranty purchased, stealer ship or not , I'm not mechanical inclined to fix any major issues with clutch internals, if it did ever happen, who knows. Keep in mind only adjustments were made at the lever adjuster dial.
I'm finding that really hard to believe. If you adjust actual adjustment wheel at the clutch lever so it has free play after you release the lever then start the bike and pull in the clutch, put it in 1st gear and the bike does not want to creep forward I don't see a problem with the lever. Once it is in gear you should be able to let the clutch lever out a little at a time and you will feel it start to engage just slightly before you reach the end of its travel. Find a fellow rider in the are and they should be able to determine if it is disengaging and engaging correctly. Call F+P and they should be able to give you the info you need to feel comfortable. Sounds like the clutch freeplay was never adjusted correctly.

• 2 months later...
I'm finding that really hard to believe. If you adjust actual adjustment wheel at the clutch lever so it has free play after you release the lever then start the bike and pull in the clutch, put it in 1st gear and the bike does not want to creep forward I don't see a problem with the lever. Once it is in gear you should be able to let the clutch lever out a little at a time and you will feel it start to engage just slightly before you reach the end of its travel. Find a fellow rider in the are and they should be able to determine if it is disengaging and engaging correctly. Call F+P and they should be able to give you the info you need to feel comfortable. Sounds like the clutch freeplay was never adjusted correctly.

Alright back for another round , been riding with oem levers and thought I'd give it another try

With th FP levers I don't get anywhere in the ballpark of free play as with the oem levers which was approx 14mm taken per the manual. The cable is very tight , but pulling lever in does stop the bike and no creeping forward

On topic (kind of). I used full length ASV levers that I had on my fz09 and they bolted right up to the fj09. No clearance issues or any other problems. Just FYI these were purchased from yamaha for the FZ before the FJ was even out so I can say for sure they work on both bikes.

• Premium Member
8dc402725c7b737acc808a0849823b4a.jpg

1f0b1a3a5f08b16a6fcb709a8c03ecfa.jpg
I've been happy with multi adjustable Ebay levers as well. Especially that they come in orange! But my favorite feature is that I like my clutch lever long and my front brake to be a shorty. These cheap levers allowed me to play around and realize that that's the setup I liked the best.

Alright back for another round , been riding with oem levers and thought I'd give it another try

With th FP levers I don't get anywhere in the ballpark of free play as with the oem levers which was approx 14mm taken per the manual. The cable is very tight , but pulling lever in does stop the bike and no creeping forward

Guess my concern is just touching the lever there is already tension on 1 mm of pulling back , where on the stock lever it was approx 14mm before cable tension.

Archived