Extended warranty... worth the cash?

II'm getting ready to finalize the deal on my "faster" (red) FJ...

Question is this, is the 600$ extended warranty worth the money? This will be my 4th Yamaha product and never had problems with previous models. Curious to hear what other members here think..

Thanks
-Caseyh46

• Premium Member
Question is this, is the 600$ extended warranty worth the money? This will be my 4th Yamaha product and never had problems with previous models. Curious to hear what other members here think..

Thanks
-Caseyh46
Generally I don't buy them for vehicles, but early production models are more prone to problems than later models, so I did.  Plus, the Yamaha warranty is less expensive than others, about 30% less than the one on my old Triumph, but you know ... British. 
The way I look at it, a regulator/rectifier failure is likely before the warranty expires, I've never had a bike that didn't go through one of those every three or four years.  Beyond that, who knows, but it's not too bad for peace of mind.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I do my own maintenance and repairs, so for me: no. In almost 30 years I've had only one vehicle repair that cost more than $500, and that was a transmission failure on a BMW K100RS after 75k miles. I paid $700 for a used replacement tranny and <$100 for other misc parts.

I figure, even if I had a catastrophic engine failure tomorrow and had to pay $2000 to fix it, I'm still ahead because I haven't spent $$$$s on extended warranties over the years.

• Premium Member
Extended warranties are a crock. They've done the numbers and are making a good profit on these warranties. And it's a Yamaha, they don't break  :) 

One point here: The more you ride, the more likely things are to break, and the better deal an extended warranty is likely to be.  On average, in the US, motorcycles are ridden less than 2,000 miles a year -- they're mostly toys, not utility transportation or touring machines.  Not a lot is likely to break in under 10,000 miles, so in that case an extended warranty is likely to be useless.  The extended warranty guys are betting pretty hard that most riders will fall into that category, and they're right for US riders. 
YMMV, especially in places that don't get rain or snow/salt, but my experience is that around 15,000mi it's pretty likely you'll start having some claims.  I mentioned regulator/rectifier before, because those are going to fail eventually, and a couple of bikes had them fail almost like clockwork every 4-5,000 miles.  I've gone through a succession of horns and switchgear, too (those things really hate salt).  Most of those things aren't very expensive by themselves, but have an R/R and one side of the switchgear and a horn or two die and you've more than paid for the warranty.  On my old Suzuki I did that and more.  If the warranty covers batteries (some do and some don't, didn't check YES yet) then those tend to fail around once every 3-5 years.

That's pretty much how I'd do the analysis.  If you're a 4,000/mi/year rider, you're going to hit 15,000mi towards the end of the warranty term and in all probably will come close to breakeven or maybe a little better.  Do more than that?  You're more and more likely to find it a good deal.  A rider doing a lot of touring can easily do tens of thousands of miles a year, and is very likely to do well with an extended warranty.

For myself, my mileage has varied from 2,000 to 10,000/year over the last 15 years.  Lower values were years in which I was injured for significant fractions of the riding season, higher values when I had the opportunity to do more extended trips.  Whether or not a warranty is a good deal for me depends on which end of that I tend towards for the particular bike.

While I can't predict what I'll do over the next several years, signs are pointing towards the high end: I've done 2,000mi in the last two months, and have at least two more long trips planned this year.  I'll be surprised if the extended warranty doesn't work out in my favor at least a little.  (And if it doesn't, way to go Yamaha!)

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
The Yamaha warranty is only one year (Seriously? That is pathetic), but I still think extended warranties are a total rip off.
Save your money. This isn't a brand new motor which is the most likely thing to have issues.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

The Yamaha warranty is only one year (Seriously? That is pathetic), but I still think extended warranties are a total rip off. Save your money. This isn't a brand new motor which is the most likely thing to have issues.
Two years, unlimited km warranty  here in Australia.

With a Yamaha most likely the extended warranty will never be used. However if something does break during that 5 years the repair cost could easily exceed the $600.00 paid for the warranty.  I purchased the warranty knowing this and if I never use it I don't have a problem because it gives me peace of mind.

Thanks
-Caseyh46

I usually don't do extended warranties on bikes but being this a new model year I said what the hey, better safe than sorry. The trip interruption part of it was what sold me. If I'm 600 miles from home and my bike breaks down, I don't have to hit up my insurance for a tow/rental. My dealership also does 50% off all services for the life of the bike if you buy the Warranty. So in a few years I'll have made that money back, it was kind of a no Brainer for me with that added incentive.

I wish I had the extended warranty on the Mini Cooper S I owned ( can you spell timing chain).It would have paid for itself in a couple months. Seriously most extended warranty's are just profit for the dealer.

The one-and-only time I purchased an extended warranty was when I purchased a Chrysler minivan. My one and only Chrysler purchase. Valve guides went at 60k miles; I hit the lottery :)
- thousands of MT-09s have been sold overseas before it came to the states. That and Yamaha's reputation= buying a warranty a looooong shot.  100 people pay $60k for warranties. Maybe 3 of them make claims averaging $350 each.... Insurance companies make $Billions in profit every year for a reason ;-)

Archived