hard bag mount brackets- REALLY?

Guest spunrdneck

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I ordered bags, locks, and mounts when I purchased my FJ on 3/20. I received the bags and locks in the middle of May and I'm still waiting on the mounts. Dealer told me over the weekend that they are scheduled for 7/14 now. I have a little trip planned for 7/18 but I'm not counting on being able to use my luggage. Every time I inquire about them they give me another date that is 3-4 weeks out.

I ordered bags, locks, and mounts when I purchased my FJ on 3/20. I received the bags and locks in the middle of May and I'm still waiting on the mounts. Dealer told me over the weekend that they are scheduled for 7/14 now. I have a little trip planned for 7/18 but I'm not counting on being able to use my luggage. Every time I inquire about them they give me another date that is 3-4 weeks out.
I'm pretty certain, the date they are giving you is the date Yamaha has posted for new orders placed "today" and has nothing to do with your actual order.  That's why it is consistently 3-4 weeks out.  Yamaha doesn't really know when they will ship it so they just move out the date every week.  They could show up tomorrow or they could be another 6 months.  It doesn't seem Yamaha knows any better than us.

To get my mounts I had to call yamahausa and complain about the time it is taking to get the mounts. Wouldn't you know it the place where I order them from called me and said that they are shipping them out the very next day. Also I have a pair from france that should arrive today. I will keep one set and sell the others.

• Premium Member
Yet another update - service manual arrived at the shop in less than a week BUT the lock cylinders are not here yet. I ordered them 2 weeks ago and Yamaha told the dealer to expect them ~ 7/20 (total of 5 weeks).

Here is the mildly funny part - Yamaha has had so many cancelled orders on lock cores that I may get mine early from that inventory. Yamaha supply chain f***ed up on this.

Have bags. Have mounts installed. Going on yet another trip at the end of the week. Still can't use my saddlebags. Might try to jury rig something to hold the latches and levers down so I can use them this weekend. I'm open to ideas. Right now, I'm thinking high strength zip ties.

Yet another update - service manual arrived at the shop in less than a week BUT the lock cylinders are not here yet. I ordered them 2 weeks ago and Yamaha told the dealer to expect them ~ 7/20 (total of 5 weeks). 
Here is the mildly funny part - Yamaha has had so many cancelled orders on lock cores that I may get mine early from that inventory. Yamaha supply chain f***ed up on this.

Have bags. Have mounts installed. Going on yet another trip at the end of the week. Still can't use my saddlebags. Might try to jury rig something to hold the latches and levers down so I can use them this weekend. I'm open to ideas. Right now, I'm thinking high strength zip ties.
Wow you read my mine. I am thinking the same thing. I was suppose to get the locks today from a ebay order with no such luck. Grrrr. Hope no one cuts the zipties an steels my stuff. Grrr.

• Premium Member
I figure security is the same as a set of soft saddlebags. Something to bring with me at the end of the day.

The grab handles have lots of points to wrap around. Ilk use a pair of bicycle toe straps on the latches so I can undo them easily.

Good luck with your set up.

• Premium Member
You could probably create your own ersatz latch mechanism with a bolt, some washers, a couple of nuts, and a plate. It wouldn't be secure in terms of theft, but would at least hold the latch mechanism closed while you ride.

Without that kind of thing I would worry about the lid latch mechanism opening up. It often feels to me like the lid latches aren't fully engaging.

Good luck!
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
I'm still waiting for my heated grips. It's the middle of winter here. I bet mine arrive just in time for summer :(
Well, mine missed the end of winter and all of spring.  The last date the dealer gave me was backordered until 6/26, which is now come and gone, and they didn't even bother to respond when I asked what the status was. 
I should start taking over/under bets for my trip in September.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

My dealer recently told me that my heated grips (ordered and paid for in January), are now backordered until July 26.  Mildly irritating, but at least I have my hard bags and mounts.

I bought my grips with the bike in March and they came in a week or so ago. Put them on last weekend. I am convinced they only post the back order date for new orders and use that date as a status for all old orders as well. Those dates are rarely posted as longer than 4 weeks out even if the real date is several months out.

Yep! At least you have your hard bags, I'm still waiting for the mounting hardware! I'm still brown bagging it!

I am waiting for the locks. To all beware of ebay and Cycle Parts Nation. On ebay they said to have 10 locks available so I cancel my order with another dealer at a lower price to get these locks asap and I paid more. Haha they lied and dont even have them. I am so pissed this bike is a headache. Grrrrr

Archived