hard bag mount brackets- REALLY?

Guest spunrdneck

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
Thruster- I am waiting for keys from Cycle Parts Nation as well.  (I ordered last week). How, did you find out that they don't have them?  Did they notify you?  I knew something was fishy, because the tracking says that USPS was "notified" of "pre-delivery" on the 25th (which gets the item marked as "shipped" on eBay), but then no actual shipment.  Well, this sucks... :(  Did you cancel your order, or are they getting some?  I scoured their reviews to look for anything like this---and nothing but praise and remarks about speedy delivery...

Thruster- I am waiting for keys from Cycle Parts Nation as well.  (I ordered last week). How, did you find out that they don't have them?  Did they notify you?  I knew something was fishy, because the tracking says that USPS was "notified" of "pre-delivery" on the 25th (which gets the item marked as "shipped" on eBay), but then no actual shipment.  Well, this sucks... :(  Did you cancel your order, or are they getting some?  I scoured their reviews to look for anything like this---and nothing but praise and remarks about speedy delivery...

I ordered mine on the 19th of June and got a preshipment tracking number on June 23rd. Message them on why they dont show in transit and got a reply asking for my phone and that they would call me right away. Still no call. Got another message today saying they will call me today. Nothing so far. I did a google search today and found a complaint board about them. Not good. Just going to wait to hear from them if I dont hear anything by tomorrow I will complain to ebay about them leading custmers on that they have a product when they really dont. I will keep this board informed.

Yep! At least you have your hard bags, I'm still waiting for the mounting hardware! I'm still brown bagging it!
I am waiting for the locks. To all beware of ebay and Cycle Parts Nation. On ebay they said to have 10 locks available so I cancel my order with another dealer at a lower price to get these locks asap and I paid more. Haha they lied and dont even have them. I am so pissed this bike is a headache. Grrrrr
I feel your pain, and having the same nightmare...

Yep like I thought no call back from Cycle Parts Nation. Buyer beware. If anyone else here ordered your fjr locks from them or off there ebay page they dont have them just like everyone else. They false a fid the ebay listing and stated they had 10 in stock just to take your money when in reallity they have none just like everyone else.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
After nearly 4 months my mounts came in. I should probably go ahead and order the heated grips and hope they come in before winter.
Mine only took 82 days.  Arrived two days ago. 
:) It turns out that a 17" laptop will not fit.  So I'm still sometimes using a cargo net on the seat.

• 6 months later...
I kinda like the sturdiness and bulkiness of the factory mounts. I must be the only one.....
Sure I appreciate the sturdiness.  But one of the reasons I bought the fj was for the light weight and I am fairly sure with the right design the bracket setup could be just as  sturdy but weigh half.   
I realize it's cheaper and easier to just have a honkin thick piece of heavy metal, though. But notice on the rear peg brackets since they become part of the bikes published weight they are pretty strong yet not that heavy.

Offering a replacement set of factory-like mounts, but in aluminum and drilled for lightness, should be fairly easy for someone like Higdonion to do. Once you've got the paramaters entered into your CNC machine, just switch it on and crank out 30 or 40 of them in a day. If he could keep the price really low, I bet folks who already have the stock setup might be inclined to make the switch. Especially if they could then sell their stock brackets for a wee bit o' coin....

Remember, for every 8 lbs. that you remove, it is effectively the same as adding 1 RWHP. Not to mention the beneficial handling effects of removing sprung weight that is located higher up on the bike. I'd probably be willing to spend $150 to replace my stock setup with a lighter version....
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

WTF does "pre-delivery" mean anyway? Does that mean that they're thinking about shipping them but just can't find the time to do so? It's one of those BS nonsense terms that dealers like to use when they don't want to tell you the truth is that they haven't bothered to process your paperwork. I bet they found the time to deposit your check though....
-CD-

2015 Yamaha FJ-09: RaceTech Gold Valves, RaceTech Rear Spring, Arrow Full Exhaust - black with w/Carbon Fibre endcap, ECU Flash, Lowered 20mm front, 15 mm rear, Denali driving lights, Fenda Extenda, Tail Tidy, Corbin Seat, Madstad 22" Windshield, OEM heated grips, Woodcraft frame sliders, Grip Puppies, BadAss Cover (Large)....

Now that I've had the brackets in my hands (probably weigh most of what a bag does) I think there is a market for aftermarket brackets that are much lighter and replace both rear peg mounts and bag brackets. I know I would love to drop about 4 lbs of bracket.
Now if you don't need the foot rests, you can leave them off, saving some weight there.  Just a note here, when I went down the saddle bag took the rear end ground contact.  There was no deformation of the mounts.  I know from looking at the other lighter French units that they would have bent and therefore maybe caused the upper mounts to break off.  I know this from experience with being rear ended while  stopped and ending up on my side with my FJR and the upper mounts sheared off.  One reason I  like the firmness of the stock Yamaha bags and lower mounting bracket.  Weight, 5-10 lbs isn't going to change your ride, ride speed, handling or your enjoyment.  If you are having a problem with this bike being too heavy, I would have to ask, what are you using it for?  I ride with and without FJR bags and don't notice any difference.  I notice when the bags are fully loaded though.  But then I only weighed 160 this morning and[/url] that may make a big difference.  I thought it was +10lbs = -1hp.  Here are a couple pics without the foot peg.  One you can't see, because of the heavy 2 liter jug of water. 
4361424.jpg

4361425.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived