There's always a 'but'...

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
There’s always a [em]‘but’[/em]…

My long-term friendly BMW dealer called yesterday to tell me that the new-to-Oz BMW S1000 XR is now in. That had been on my short-list earlier this year, but deliveries to Oz were much delayed, so I went from my 2013 BMW R1200 R to the Yamaha MT-09/ FJ-09 Tracer.

There are breeding similarities between the two bikes: the Tracer is an offspring of the lunatic MT-09 sportsbike and a Super Teneré, while the XR springs from the loins of the fully-mad S1000 R sportsbike, with a little DNA from the GS supposedly thrown in…

The XR is pitched as an ‘adventure-tourer’, whatever that may be, while the Tracer is mis-named, IMHO, as a sport-tourer: it’s not – it’s a sportsbike lightly disguised as a sort-of tourer. But much fun…

The XR is clearly aimed at Ducati’s Multistrada, although to my eye the Italian bike is much more purposeful-looking, having come from a fresh sheet of paper rather than being strongly based on a pre-existing platform, as is the XR. It will be very interesting to read comparos when they are published.

So I went to look… No doubt about it – the XR is a very well-crafted machine as only BMW does it, with nice touches here and there, and fully-loaded with all the electronological devices that one could want (or not want, as the case may be. BMW has yet to learn that sometimes less can be more…).

But in the showroom it looked rather large and bulky, an impression confirmed when I sat on it and lifted it from the side-stand to the normal riding position – it was a struggle (mark you, I am the original seven-stone weakling!). As an aside, there was new R1200 R LC on the floor, and I sat on that too – it felt almost petite by comparison!

In profile and from head-on the two bikes look quite similar, offering a sit-up-and-beg riding position, tall screen, two-piece seat (which on the XR immediately put me into a nasty squirrel-grip), embryonic side fairings, gold forks, and the cylinder blocks are both slanted forwards. But the XR has the beak that seems almost compulsory in this category... and comes as standard with the almost-essential cruise-control.

The red paintwork is a very striking colour – but not two-tone as appears in the pic below!

So, it’s a very nice bike, if not quite for me - [em]but [/em]– and there’s always a [em]but[/em]… [strong]the price!!![/strong]   OTR - $28,600, [em]sans [/em]panniers and sat-nav. Oz dollars, of course…

Sat-nav doesn’t interest me at all, but add the panniers and we are looking at close to $30,000. Compare this to the Tracer with panniers and quite enough electronics for $15,300.   Brilliant value-for-money.

Now, I am a firm believer that you generally get what you pay for, and doubtless the XR will give that ‘pride of ownership’ and a degree of refinement that maybe some others might lack, [em]but…[/em]

Not wanting to sound like a two-bob millionaire (‘coz I’m not) I [em]could[/em] afford the XR, but I don’t [em]want to[/em] afford it.

BTW – the dealer, whom I know quite well and have bought several BMWs from, was himself a bit lukewarm about the XR, but was very smitten with the R1200 RS, which was also newly in-store… looks quite nice, with a decidedly sportier ‘look’ about it than the standard R.

All this, of course, FWIW and IMHO and YMMV and so on and so forth.

L of S
http://i.imgur.com/TKJKkHk.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/RXvhonj.jpg

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Very nice. The BMW serves one very good purpose:
to persuade the significant other that you're making a sound economic choice buying the Yamaha !

How very true! L of S

Thanks for the write up L! That has got to be one of the ugliest faces I've seen on a bike yet! What's amazing is the number of motorcycle options that are out there now... In a down-market, there have to literally be 3 times the models available as there were 20yrs ago.
- now, what does two-bob mean in 'two-bob millionaire?  ;)

Brian

• Premium Member
So, it’s a very nice bike, if not quite for me - [em]but [/em]– and there’s always a [em]but[/em]… [strong]the price!!![/strong]   OTR - $28,600, [em]sans [/em]panniers and sat-nav. Oz dollars, of course…
[...]

Now, I am a firm believer that you generally get what you pay for, and doubtless the XR will give that ‘pride of ownership’ and a degree of refinement that maybe some others might lack, [em]but…[/em]

Refinement, possibly.  Advanced electronics, definitely.  But Consumer Reports shows BMW as one of the worst brands for reliability, and given the number of my BMW-owning friends who have had problems (and often serious problems, like final drive failures and even one case where a new bike burned itself to the ground sitting in a driveway powered off) I believe it. 
BMW often (but not always) stands behind the product, and they are often brilliant products, but it sure can cost.

I looked at several BMW models before buying the FJ.  High cost was one of the reasons I didn't get one, but also very high seat heights and on the F800 series very boring motors.  If I rode on dirt more often or I was doing really serious touring I might reconsider.
2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I seriously looked at the S1000R ,and decided it wasn't practical.No usable rear seat no windshield ect. BMW had a sale going on $1500 in free upgrades made it $14600 + tax otd. I was going to wait for the XR version that I was guessing price at $19000.I went for one last look at the FJ-09 the dealer had it on sale $9790 with no destination or other fees just + tax. The BMW is certainly a great bike but ,but $9000+ better then the Yamaha ?. I just could not do it.With the Yamaha I can spend a lot of $ on personalized mods and never get close to that price.

• Premium Member
I wanted to wait for the XR to become available in the states, but when the FJ came into view my decision was made.

I'm coming off a period of BMW ownership that started in 2008. First, a K1200GT, then the F800GS and most recently, a 2012 K1600GT. While nice bikes, I simply can't justify the premium one must pay to join the club any more, especially with excellent alternatives like the FJ being available. The BMWs don't offer that much more in performance, quality or tech for me to pony up considerably more $$ for the privilege of ownership.

160 hp? I don't want or need it.

• Premium Member
I really wanted the BMW XR when I first saw it as it seemed to be what I was looking for. Then the F-Jay hit and I was sold. I also looked at the Multistrada and test rode one. Very snatchy power band (supposedly fixed with the 2015 model) and the deal breaker for me was the seat shape. The seat is dished locking you into one position. If you are mobile on your seat in the twisties like I am, you will not enjoy the seat. The XR seat looks to be the same. Kind of a U shape locking you in fore and aft. Just my observations. I would enjoy 160 HP though, but don't need it. I still do not regret buying the F-Jay.
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Thanks for the write up L! That has got to be one of the ugliest faces I've seen on a bike yet! What's amazing is the number of motorcycle options that are out there now... In a down-market, there have to literally be 3 times the models available as there were 20yrs ago. - now, what does two-bob mean in 'two-bob millionaire?  ;)

Brian
Brian - 'Two bob' is Olde Aussie working-class slang for two shillings (twenty shillings = one pound) - let's say (dragging out abacus) 20 cents or some very small amount.   Hence a two-bob millionaire is someone who acts rich even if he has only two bob to his name!   It's a mildly disparaging term, but still used today, if rarely... L

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
I do agree!   My first (boxer twin) BMW dated back to 1997 or '8.   My wife had three F650 GSs over the years.   I then progressed to the 1150R, 1150GS, then a series of 1200 GSs interspersed with 1200 Rs - I think my last, which left here in March, was the fourth Roadster in line!   They are simply pricing themselves out of the market (at least for the average Bloke) and I too simply cannot justify the exorbitant initial price and later costs of services, parts,  and so on. But I do have to say that my very long ownership and equally longer distances travelled on the various BMWs was entirely without let-downs of any kind.   Within the last twelve months or so my last Roadster developed a bit of an oil leak at the front fork seals - then a fuel-injector body cracked at one of the seals.   Only minor annoyances, both fixed under warranty, and neither kept me off the road.   I hope to enjoy the same sort of trouble-free riding with the Tracer!
Thanks for comments on my post, guys!

L of S

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Thanks for the cultural exchange L  :)  
Any time, bb. [em] "Two countries divided by a common language",[/em] as the man said... L

Archived