Least expensive, easiest alternative Exhaust

buckybuk

Guest eatpasta
If you want to keep the stock pipe, you could always start by bypassing the cat and if that wasnt enough sound you could always remove the baffle.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, those liberal mutha phucka's can try, but enforcing it will be a monumental challenge. But yeah, on touring bikes a quiet exhaust is good. Same thing on trailbikes, especially on trails that weren't really classified as motor approved.

I don't know WHEN it will happen, but eventually, I expect there will be nation-wide enforcement of emissions regulations for motorcycles. 
That concern, alongside my love of a quiet, stealthy bike, is why I intend to keep the stock exhaust.

I'll bet the laws required are already on the books. All that it would take is enforcement and hefty fines. Probable cause is as easy as a cop claiming your bike sounded loud. Aren't modern OEM bike exhausts stamped as DOT approved or something similar?

For that matter, I though California was already headed down that road with laws against aftrmarket exhauset....

Guest eatpasta
I'll bet the laws required are already on the books. All that it would take is enforcement and hefty fines. Probable cause is as easy as a cop claiming your bike sounded loud. Aren't modern OEM bike exhausts stamped as DOT approved or something similar? 
For that matter, I though California was already headed down that road with laws against aftrmarket exhauset....
they are - all you need is the stamp on the pipe.  That means you can gut the pipe and as long as you have that stupid stamp, you're legal and that's why its so unbelievably stupid. 
There's nothing in the law about decibel levels

Power is good, but losing weight is often even better. Losing those 9-10 lbs off my FZ-09 made a noticeable difference. More HP isn't always useable, but lighter weight is 100% useable.

Dobeck Performance, maker of the EJK Fuel controller also sells just about every brand of Exhaust and also sells stage kits with Exhaust and Fuel controller in one kit. The fuel controller comes with a baseline tune setting but you can adjust it on the fly. They also rent a gauge that will display the fuel level at ea rpm so that you can dial it in further, without having to use a Dyno.

On the FZ-07 forums, they sell Arrow, Akra, Yosh, and M-4 among other brands.

The lowest cost is the M-4 exhaust. They are probably coming on here as a supporting Vendor soon, so stay tuned for Member pricing.

I think if I still felt that power was the most important consideration, I wouldn't buy this bike. I would save a few more (OK, a lot more) dollars and buy a new or nearly new 600cc supersport. But these days, I lust for torque-heavy motors with enough power to get me from a-b faster than I should go.

That said, I'll bet the aftermarket will sell a LOT of exhaust systems to FJ-09 owners.

The FJ must be way tuned down because I smoke 600 Supersports on my FZ-09, well, 0-100 mph at least. Have you really opened it up yet?
I don't yet own an FJ-09, but I suspect if you encountered the rarity that is a 600cc suspersport rider who knew how to launch the bike, your results may vary.  But either way, I'm speaking more about laptimes than straight line acceleration. 

Power is good, but losing weight is often even better. Losing those 9-10 lbs off my FZ-09 made a noticeable difference. More HP isn't always useable, but lighter weight is 100% useable.  
Dobeck Performance, maker of the EJK Fuel controller also sells just about every brand of Exhaust and also sells stage kits with Exhaust and Fuel controller in one kit. The fuel controller comes with a baseline tune setting but you can adjust it on the fly. They also rent a gauge that will display the fuel level at ea rpm so that you can dial it in further, without having to use a Dyno.

On the FZ-07 forums, they sell Arrow, Akra, Yosh, and M-4 among other brands.

The lowest cost is the M-4 exhaust. They are probably coming on here as a supporting Vendor soon, so stay tuned for Member pricing.
If ya change the exhaust why not go with the change that will 1.) loss weight,  2.) provide the best powa for the $$$?? Paul

They all provide about the same HP increase, which is minimal. But yes, any little bit helps.

But if you are looking to go faster, susension is the one upgrade you can make that can make you a faster rider. HP alone only helps on straight roads.

Guest eatpasta
They all provide about the same HP increase, which is minimal. But yes, any little bit helps.  
But if you are looking to go faster, susension is the one upgrade you can make that can make you a faster rider. HP alone only helps on straight roads.
along that path, taking a riding class cant hurt and will certainly make you faster and a safer rider.
   Im lucky, Ive got classes like Socal Supermoto close to me with is $240 for an entire track day, bike included.  You learn A LOT in one day of that kind of riding....

Yes indeed, many factor contribute to being a fast rider and the nut on the seat is by far the most significant. The exhaust is just a small piece of the pie.
I got my track training from these folks: http://www.penguinracing.com/
Developed my limited go fast skills here: http://www.jenningsgp.com/

And the bike, a distance second when it comes to going fast..
Much of the tuning get done here: http://www.dynoworks.com/Home.html
Suspension work here: http://www.traxxion.com/

Paul

Archived