Teaching My Son to Ride the FJ

I've seen comments that the FJ is easy enough to ride for a beginner. Well, I put that to the test today by teaching my 17 year-old son to ride. He's only up to 2nd gear in the school parking lot; but his starts and stops are pretty good for a 1st day. Even better, no broken plastic! I felt like I was teaching him to ride a bicycle all over again  ;)

http://vid1107.photobucket.com/albums/h386/beberle/80398800-E779-45DE-82FE-FA79F79E1742.mp4

I do hope he's going to follow up with a beginning rider course from MSF or an accredited riding school. Was a rider coach for MSF & we could spot beginners who'd had coaching/instruction from family members. Not saying you're not skilled but there's a lot to be gained from a course.

No joke! That's an actual video of my 17 year-old doing circles in the school parking lot. I'm much less...trim ;-)  Power curve on 'B' helped a good bit. Now, I doubt I'll be able to insure a teenager on the FJ, but this is getting him ready for a motorcycle safety class.

Brian

Well, ok.. I guess... on a closed course.

I'd think a 10 yr old Ninja 250, or KLX 250 if he is on the tall side would be a great bike to learn on. You know, pre-dropped, low power. Light weight so its much easier to learn how to ride, brake and pick up when its dropped.

Me, I'd rather not put my new $10,000 FJ through that, but to each his own.

My daughter learned at 5 yrs old and didn't get to ride my Ducati till she was over 30.
To be honest she loves her Dual Sports and it wasn't till the GT showed up that she expressed any interest in a pure street bike. I think 400lbs wet and being able to tip toe had alot to do with it. 
Her only interest in the FJ is me riding it beside her. 

Archived