• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Which oil are we using???

fullclip

Guest captrob73
I preformed the first oil/filter change on my FJ at 35 miles. This was after my test ride and ride home from the dealer. The oil that drained out so full of metal it was gray. Today a changed the oil/filer at 364 miles, it was dirty but much better. I'll probably go 500 miles before I change the oil again. I find it hard to understand why Yamaha recommends the first change at 600 miles, it's a well known fact that most break-in wear happens very quickly on a new engine.

at 35 miles - Yamalube 10w-40 & Yamaha filter
at 364 miles - Valvoline motorcycle 10w-40 & K&N filter
both dino oil

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Hi guys. Anyone tried Lucasoil semi-synth 10w-40? I got a pretty sweet deal at my local garage, and considering that one instead of the full synth mobil.
Never tried it. Let us know how it goes as it relates to clutch slip and engine noise. Oh, welcome aboard (1st post). 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
Let us know how it goes as it relates to clutch slip and engine noise. Oh, welcome aboard (1st post). 

Thanks:-) yeah i'll give it a shot this weekend. The gearbox really don't like the castrol GPS:-(
Did the gearbox speak to you or just whine a bit? 
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Let us know how it goes as it relates to clutch slip and engine noise. Oh, welcome aboard (1st post). 

Thanks:-) yeah i'll give it a shot this weekend. The gearbox really don't like the castrol GPS:-(

She's quite harsh in her language????Especially when going from a gear to neutral and releasing the clutch, like it's not fully disengaging or something.

• Premium Member
She's quite harsh in her language????Especially when going from a gear to neutral and releasing the clutch, like it's not fully disengaging or something.
the gearbox is pretty noisy but no worse than some others I have owned and a great improvement on the TDM850 box I had a decade ago
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I used Rotella for break in and now I'm using Amsoil and NAPA Gold filter.
On a side note this thing definitely enjoyed having its oil changed. Made it not even to 6k miles and the shifts were so notchy I couldn't stand it anymore. Changed the oil and she went back to being buttery smooth.