Which oil are we using???

fullclip

• 2 weeks later...
So not to throw a wrench in everyone's theories, but switching to that Motul 7100 full synthetic seemingly has indeed reduced the black spots on the exhaust for me.

As mentioned I was taking a big trip, 2400 miles (round trip), visiting Tail of the Dragon in North Carolina. After 1000 miles, my exhaust tip was cleaner than what I'd get after just like 100 miles when on the natrual oil.

Maybe coincidental, but anecdotally it seems to have had an effect to me.

Speaking of said black spots, and apologies for shifting subjects; I have found that acetone removes them moderately well, but still leaves some trace of the fouling.  Anyone know what the best solvent to remove those spots might be?

Speaking of said black spots, and apologies for shifting subjects; I have found that acetone removes them moderately well, but still leaves some trace of the fouling.  Anyone know what the best solvent to remove those spots might be?
WD-40 & a rag, followed by SemiChrome metal polish. 

• 2 years later...

The reason why oils with high zinc additive are deemed "bad" for vehicles with catalytic converters is because if you burn oil, the catalytic converter can be damaged.  Firstly, the Yamaha engines do not burn oil, so this should not happen.   Secondly, the Rotella T6 does not have any more ZDDP (zinc) than most of the better motorcycle oils, so using T6 is not a greater risk for damaging your catalytic converter.   As a quick comparison, Mobil 1 10W40 motorcycle oil has 1200 PPM of zinc while Shell Rotella T6 5W40 has 1095 ppm in the current formulation. 

For brand new motorcycles, I would prefer to use the dealers' suggested oil. I don't want to blame myself for using the wrong oil so even if it means spending extra cash, I will take the risk just to make sure that I'm dealing on the right ways.

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, arthur said:

Is it ok to mix mineral and synthetic? Same weight 10-40, same manufacturer liqui moly.... It's not just about the money, it's also the environment..

It all depends where Jupiters moons are in relation to the last new moon on the second tuesday the week after mixing the oil, if neither is visible, just throw that oil out.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, arthur said:

Is it ok to mix mineral and synthetic? Same weight 10-40, same manufacturer liqui moly.... It's not just about the money, it's also the environment..

You can mix synthetic and mineral oil but why would you want to when semi-synthetic oil can be purchased off the shelf.

• Supporting Member

Yes.  Most synthetics have a conventional base anyways (group III oils).

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount