H.D. Utility Rack DIY

If you are crafty and have some tools, you can make a utility rack w/o expensive extensions.  The one I made is best if you ride solo and don't want the rack sticking out the back.  Putting the weight over the rear of the sub frame.  Second, if you have a small passenger they could fit between the rider and the rack.

This design will takes alot of time; I spent 4 days making this after I bought the 1/4"x9"x14" aluminium plate.  You can do it in less time by keeping to a simple design.  Why 9x14:   I have three tail bags and all are 14" wide and 9" deep.  A top box would also fit after installing the mounting plate to the utility rack, and a big duffel would work too.  The 1/4" is thicker than necessary, 3/16" would work fine.  The holes were made to make the unit lighter and to look good, but these could be omitted, afterall there will be a bag on it, right?

I have put the pictures on my Flickr site and they can be found Here. (Clicky Here)
Material needed:
1/4"x9"x14" 6161 plate aluminium (3/16 okay to)
(2) 1" round x 1 3/16" plugs
(2) 3/32"x1" x 7" 
Various washers 1" round 10mm or 3/8" regular and fender washers (not all will be used)
(4) 3/16' or 4mm bolts and either sandwich nuts or locknuts.
(2) 2 3/4" x 10mm bolt.  SS if you can find.

16203716695_c506c904f2_c.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Need help finding a better bolt. I have been looking for a flat head socket M10-70mm-1.25 as the rear subframe passenger handles use a M10-1.25 pitch (fine thread) bolt, and that would appear better than the bolt I have used. A domed socket head bolt would also work. The only ones I can find are all 1.5 pitch. I am also looking for SS.

Very nice work! I'd buy that kit, how much? :-) 
I only have assembly type tools, not fabrication. :-(
When you make one off, it is more a work of passion.  Using tools that  you have aren't always the best for the project and therefore requires more time.  If I had a drillpress it would have gone faster and been more accurate.  If I had a belt sander it would have cleaned up faster and better.  Etc, etc. 
Tail rack plates usually run around $160 w/ fasteners.  You will have to wait until someone makes one for the FJ that you like.  You will most likely have to buy the Yamaha tail support frame that fastens to the side bag mounts and extends the support further back.  That gismo may run as much as $171.  It also comes with a plastic base for a top box, which isn't something I wanted or wanted to wait around for.  The idea of spending $330 for a utility rack is why I decided to make my own.  The other reason is that I don't like top boxes sticking so far out the back.  And I prefer placing a storage box more over the wheels and main frame (subframe) of the bike.  

Guest eatpasta
nicely done @redfjniner! I wish I had more time to learn to be more handy with things like this. Im sure of the people on here would just be willing to toss you the cash to knock it out for them - hell you might end up in the vendors section....

hey post a few pics of the finished product on the bike for us - but full profile etc so we can get an idea of what the whole package looks like

I'd be shocked if Fastenal doesn't have it. Fastenall is kind of spendy, but they stock every bolt in the world.

Need help finding a better bolt. I have been looking for a flat head socket M10-70mm-1.25 as the rear subframe passenger handles use a M10-1.25 pitch (fine thread) bolt, and that would appear better than the bolt I have used. A domed socket head bolt would also work. The only ones I can find are all 1.5 pitch. I am also looking for SS.

It seems 1.25 pitch runs up to 8mm. Starting 10mm they go 1.5mm pitch on sites that specialized on bolts and stuff. 

• 1 year later...
Update on DIY utility rack. I wasn't satified with the way the rack was mounted and ended up working on it some more. It was to fussy with the long bolt down the center support with the big bolt head on top of the rack. Flat bags didn't sit flat and wobbled. NS. I remade the bent braces underneath and now have them under the head of the bolt, rather then under the hand hold bracket. I added 5mm bolts to the handheld brackets.  All bolts are now ss and counter sunk.  Now the rack is again very stable, it doesn't move when its all bolted down. I also painted it a satin black and mounted a top box to it.  Top box is a very inexpensive JC Witney unit that has been working on my FJR for eight years.  It is still  blue and may get some white stars and red and white strips to go with the red FJ.  Here are some pics.

4578723.jpg

4578724.jpg

4578729.jpg

4578726.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Well, after spending two years using soft tail bags, I have decided to return to a hard top box.  I bought this JC Whitney unit from Sears about 8 years ago and painted it to match my #2 FJR's Majestic Blue.  I was going to paint it either red or black, and was leaning to black.  It was sitting on the tail rack when my wife came by and she said if you had stars on it, you would have Red White and Blue.  So I spent last night and this morning cutting out 2" stars from some vinyl wrap material I ordered and this is what I came up with.  You will know it's me when you see me.

4601255.jpg

4601256.jpg

4601254.jpg  

• Premium Member
Well, after spending two years using soft tail bags, I have decided to return to a hard top box.  I bought this JC Whitney unit from Sears about 8 years ago and painted it to match my #2 FJR's Majestic Blue.  I was going to paint it either red or black, and was leaning to black.  It was sitting on the tail rack when my wife came by and she said if you had stars on it, you would have Red White and Blue.  So I spent last night and this morning cutting out 2" stars from some vinyl wrap material I ordered and this is what I came up with.  You will know it's me when you see me. 

Perhaps you should paint the giant water jug yellow so people think you are running a uretic catheter! Cheers 

2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Archived