• Premium Member
I'm sure there are already some threads about tires, but I haven't found them yet. My question is simple. I went completely through my FJs stock rear in three thousand miles. I really like the performance, but can't afford to be replacing tires every two months. I just ordered the Dunlop Roadsmart II, sport touring tire. I'm hoping to get about twice the milage. I realize it won't be as good a performer, but hoping it will be ok for strictly street/sport riding. Do any of you have any experience with this tire choice? The front is still good, and I think I will stay with the stock front when I replace it. What do you. Think? 
Mikengrace.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09. SWmoteck crash bars, OEM front and rear axle sliders, Second OEM electrical plug in, Garmin GPS and mount, Powerbronze lower chin fairing, accessory battery pig tail, Evotech radiator guard. Evotech clip on tank bag.
Fully farkled 2013 Kawasaki KLR650, to keep it company.

• Premium Member
there's a 10 page thread here http://fj-09.org/thread/578/tyres-people-running

My rear tyre will last a few hundred more miles but not the 1500-2000 miles for a holiday in 11 days time. As stated in that thread, I will be getting a rear Roadsmart 2 fitted tomorrow. From what has been posted already, the Roadsmart 2 performs much like the D222 OE fitment and matches the part worn front well. Like you, I'm hoping there is a bit more rubber on the retail tyre so it lasts around 5000 miles or more. This is the sort of mileage I would hope a tyre in the "expensive sports touring" category would last. I certainly got that sort of mileage from a Michelin PR4 or Continental Road Attack.

I'm hoping the D222 which is not sold on the retail market is a bit like those part filled cartridges you get on a cheap printer. Performs just as well as the retail unit but doesn't last as long...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I'm sure there are already some threads about tires, but I haven't found them yet. My question is simple. I went completely through my FJs stock rear in three thousand miles. I really like the performance, but can't afford to be replacing tires every two months. I just ordered the Dunlop Roadsmart II, sport touring tire. I'm hoping to get about twice the milage. I realize it won't be as good a performer, but hoping it will be ok for strictly street/sport riding. Do any of you have any experience with this tire choice? The front is still good, and I think I will stay with the stock front when I replace it. What do you. Think? 
Everyone I have talked to on the matter, people more knowledgeable than I, say never ever mix tire brands.  If you go to a different brand be sure to change both front and rear at the same time and from the same manufacturer. 

• Premium Member
The stock tires on my FJ are Dunlop D222s. They are good tires, at least by my impression. But the rear was gone at 3000 miles. The Dunlop Roadsmart II, that I replaced it with has the exact same tread pattern. But I believe it is a different rubber combination. It is classed as a sport touring tire, and I have been reading of tire life in the five to six thousand mile range. I will be happy with that if it handles any where near as good as the original rear. We will see.
Mikengrace.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09. SWmoteck crash bars, OEM front and rear axle sliders, Second OEM electrical plug in, Garmin GPS and mount, Powerbronze lower chin fairing, accessory battery pig tail, Evotech radiator guard. Evotech clip on tank bag.
Fully farkled 2013 Kawasaki KLR650, to keep it company.

Archived