SW motec crash bars install.

mikengrace

• Premium Member
Please do post how you mount the Go pro. I am thinking of doing the same thing. Let us know how it works out. Good to hear how well the SW Motech  crash bars held up. That is reassuring. 
Mikengrace.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09. SWmoteck crash bars, OEM front and rear axle sliders, Second OEM electrical plug in, Garmin GPS and mount, Powerbronze lower chin fairing, accessory battery pig tail, Evotech radiator guard. Evotech clip on tank bag.
Fully farkled 2013 Kawasaki KLR650, to keep it company.

• 3 weeks later...
I have those crash bars. They're drop-dead simple to install, it should only take a few minutes. The only irritating thing is that the torque spec for the engine bolts isn't listed in the SW-Motec installation instructions. I'll save you some time: You want 33 lb/ft or 45 N/m. 
The instructions say something like "support the engine" during the installation process but I didn't do that, I just used the centerstand. Because of that instruction I was worried that the engine might move out of position if I removed too many bolts at once, so I only ever removed one at a time and inserted the new bolt through the crashbar and partially screwed it in, leaving it loose while I removed and replaced the other bolt. The theory was that if the engine shifted the loose bolt would support it until I could get everything together. This turned out to be unnecessary, the motor didn't move an iota. I would recommend only removing the bolts from one side at a time, though.

I don't know anything about the electrical plug, sorry, but I hope this helps.

Just curious if you used blue Loctite?

I have those crash bars. They're drop-dead simple to install, it should only take a few minutes. The only irritating thing is that the torque spec for the engine bolts isn't listed in the SW-Motec installation instructions. I'll save you some time: You want 33 lb/ft or 45 N/m. 
The instructions say something like "support the engine" during the installation process but I didn't do that, I just used the centerstand. Because of that instruction I was worried that the engine might move out of position if I removed too many bolts at once, so I only ever removed one at a time and inserted the new bolt through the crashbar and partially screwed it in, leaving it loose while I removed and replaced the other bolt. The theory was that if the engine shifted the loose bolt would support it until I could get everything together. This turned out to be unnecessary, the motor didn't move an iota. I would recommend only removing the bolts from one side at a time, though.

I don't know anything about the electrical plug, sorry, but I hope this helps.

I used blue loctite on mine.

• Premium Member
I used blue loctite on mine.
I don't recall if I did or not, this time, but I have in the past and *probably* did.  I've used kind of a lot of blue loctite since buying the FJ :-). 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• 2 weeks later...
Glad to hear that you were not hurt in your slide. Sounds like you put the bars on just in time. How did the bars themselves hold up? 
Perfectly, barely a scratch on 'em even.  They're good kit.  You know they are as soon as you take them out of the box, they are dense.  They should be able to take quite a wallop, maybe more than the frame they're attached to. 
I had also put on Woodcraft engine and clutch case protectors which helped, too.  That kind of thing is good insurance since I have an unfortunate habit of low and zero speed tipovers just like that one, a consequence of having short legs and liking bikes that are a little too tall.

Next up I'll be mounting a GoPro on the crash bars, since I unexpectedly came into one and am hoping to get some nice low-angle shots.  I'll post pictures of however I manage to set up the mount once it's done.

Jimf, if you hadn't had the engine case protection would the engine have touched down? I have the bars but was wondering if they'd be enough by themselves.

• Premium Member
Perfectly, barely a scratch on 'em even.  They're good kit.
Jimf, if you hadn't had the engine case protection would the engine have touched down? I have the bars but was wondering if they'd be enough by themselves.
One side (I forget which one) did show some scratching on the case protectors after a tipover.  While we may be playing a game of millimeters here, I am pretty sure there would have been scratching on the case without them.  Likely nothing more than minor cosmetics, but.... 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
One of the first things I installed on my bike and I think I torqued the bolts to 40Nm so may need to go and nip them up since it's 45Nm. I supported the engine with a jack and did one bolt at a time, rotating the bars slightly to get the other one done. Certainly used blue Loctite thread locker after I found the handlebar clamps had worked loose twice!

I was thinking about mounting some of the SW Motech driving lamps from the bars but went with the Yamaha LED Flasher Plus turn indicators with DRLs instead. The bars look great on the bike and not at all obtrusive as I had feared when I initially bought them.

• 3 months later...
Thanks for the pics of the installation of the SW-Motech crash bars. I do wonder though how strong they actually would be in a fall???? since there is no cross beam support (from side to side) for stabilization (unlike the Tenere crash bars which route up under the headlight).

I have concerns about them punching through the radiator.

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• Premium Member
I do wonder though how strong they actually would be in a fall???? since there is no cross beam support (from side to side) for stabilization (unlike the Tenere crash bars which route up under the headlight).  

I was a little concerned about that too, before the bars showed up, but it turns out that these are not lightweight bars that will be easily bent.  IMO anything that hits hard enough to bend those bars into the radiator is going to destroy a hell of a lot of bike too.  The radiator will be the least of your worries. 

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

I do wonder though how strong they actually would be in a fall???? since there is no cross beam support (from side to side) for stabilization (unlike the Tenere crash bars which route up under the headlight).  

I was a little concerned about that too, before the bars showed up, but it turns out that these are not lightweight bars that will be easily bent.  IMO anything that hits hard enough to bend those bars into the radiator is going to destroy a hell of a lot of bike too.  The radiator will be the least of your worries. 

Thanks heaps Jim for the feedback. It's nice to have that first hand knowledge.

I have just now placed my order with the Aussie distributor for a set (hopefully they will arrive soon).

Kimmie......the lady who likes to take little detours :)

• 1 month later...
Thanks, I just got SW Crash bars., and I was reading the instruction and it says that the engine must be on a stand. I understand that you did it bolt by bolt with no problem but I plan to buy a jack anyway because I have 2 bikes, where on the FJ 09 is recommended to place the stand? I saw the bottom of the engine and 'I didn't see a lot of space to place the stand, in fact I dont see any flat surface where, and the pipes are at risk. Does anyone tried to place a jack or support? can you share where?

Thanks.

I just put the bike on the centre stand, put a small block of timber on the jack, and then took the weight of the motor under the sump (block of timber on the drain plug). Then took the bolts out, one side at a time. The motor isn't heavy, so it's not like you are putting much load on the sump.

Archived