Best GoPro mounting locations?

Hey guys.

I'm going on a long trip in just few months and will be picking up a GoPro.  My brother has the original, and I've tested it on a helmet and such and the footage is pretty decent.  However, I would prefer not to throw a sticky on my expensive helmet.  I was thinking about just mounting it to the top of the screen to get that helmet view height while still looking straight away.  Has anyone been creative with mounting before?

Hey guys. 
I'm going on a long trip in just few months and will be picking up a GoPro.  My brother has the original, and I've tested it on a helmet and such and the footage is pretty decent.  However, I would prefer not to throw a sticky on my expensive helmet.  I was thinking about just mounting it to the top of the screen to get that helmet view height while still looking straight away.  Has anyone been creative with mounting before?

Buy a Drift ghost. It can be mounted anywhere because the lens rotates. Also get the suction mount with it.

I mounted my GoPro on a Ram Ball mount attached to the engine guard on my last bike.  Mounting low gives a good perspective of the road (speed and lean angle) and shows a bit of the front tire.  Good footage in my opinion.

Thruster, I have always heard about the Drift but never looked into it. Although it seems the video quality isn't as good as the pro's, for what I'm doing I don't think it's a deal breaker. Plus the remote, ability to keep it charge via USB, and the slim design actually make it a heck of a deal.

Do you own one? If so, can you share your experiences?

My drift Ghost S has been nothing but trouble, and I rarely get any footage. It keeps locking up and needs re-booting. Its a real shame as I think that the mounting options and tagging features are great.
I will be looking closely at the new TomTom Bandit, which has similar mounting options as it can rotate in the mount.

My Garmin Virb is mounted onto my Shad top box but ideally it should be a bit lower and pointed a bit more right. The Virb records GPS .gpx tracks and can be superimposed with video and speed but you wouldn't want to post it publicly. http://i.imgur.com/vsf9f5W.jpg

I mainly use the Virb on time lapse on 1/2 second to record stupid drivers when I cycle to work.

nnZ46tD.jpgYes I own one and love it. The video quality is awesome and there is so much you can do with these guys
 The main reason I bought it was that I could mount it anywhere, can get wet up to 9ft without a waterproof case and the lens rotates.
Some people have had freezeing issuse which I did have twice but it was due to the SD card other then that I have had no problems. 
Which ever one you chose they are both great cameras.

I actually bought, int he spur of the moment, a SOny AS100V based on the video quality and price. The only downside is, you can't charge and record at the same time. SO I'll have to be stopping to swap out batteries...

But it's small, so I MAY mount to my helmet, not sure yet.

Also, does anyone have a suggestion on how to keep/store all of this data while on a trip? I'm planning on being gone for 3 weeks, while trying to film 4-5 hours a day at 1080/30. I have a feeling I'm going to need some serious SD cards or a way to transfer them to a TB drive. How have others done this?

• 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
I have been using my GoPro Silver 3+ mounted to my handlebars with a Ram Ball. It tends to be shaky but useable. Anybody else have shaky video with your mounting locations? Is it the Ram mount causing this? Would a solid mount be better (I have 12 of them to try out)?

I bought a Photo Safe II for downloading video from the Gopro for long trips. Very small, relatively inexpensive, and is suppose to work great (I have not used it yet):

linky

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
I'm using a ram mount it works pretty well BDD2BD58-1161-4E4B-84C4-9ED4AAFB7944_zpssh26lsuu.jpg
I use the ram mount also, but get what they call Jello-ing and shaking. I will try a shorter Ram arm that I have laying around here.  
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived