Lowering links

couter

So I caved and purchased some lowering links and adjustable sidestand from PSR. I actually dropped the bike because I couldn't get a sure foot on the ground. Ordered the kit same day.

This install was going great- until I realized that I had to grind down the weld on the swingarm. Boy did that make me sad. Anywho, I have the tools to make it simple to do, so grinding down the swing arm isn't the hard part. I do not, not not not not want to be able to see the exposed metal through the swing arm. I have considered rattle cans, but my question to you guys, is there any way of getting the paint code for the swingarm? If i'm gunna do it, I want to do it right. (if painting over a boo boo is "doing it right")
I appreciate any thoughts or feedback on this. A color match would warrant a beer on me.
Thanks gays and gals.
Edit:
For anyone that wonders what this bike looks like without the rear swingarm installed, this is what my FJ looks like as it waits in the garage for me to finish up the job.
gA3ffI8.jpg

Its a bit of a job no doubt... I think my parts guy at the dealer is a "special" kind of guy... I'm thinking he got me the wrong part... I got things back together last night, and boy can I touch the ground good... But there is absolutely no bounce in the suspension. I wasn't going to yank the swing arm off and figured it was "no drama" just replace the links that are in a kinda tight spot, but nothing that should require to BOTTOM out the bike in order to install.

As for the area, I had read about some of the links that require the weld bead that is directly behind the shock knuckle to be ground off in order to provide enough clearance.

Part of me thinks they got me links for a FZ thinking they were "interchangable"
I have an e-mail out to psr to see what they say about it., I also plan on calling my parts guy and asking him to double check the part.
I mean, I figured I was ordering a lowering link from the dealer, he starts rattling off he can get them a couple days blah blah... I was expecting a yammy one... He handed me this kit and I figured hes the parts pro, he would know. I wish I woulda just ordered one of the kits that have been discussed in detail on here... Live and learn. ugh. *facepalm*

I just lower my fj 09 and purchure a lowering link from Soupy lowering links, easy install no grinding or problems.
just replaces the links 50mins for complete job done.... check the web site 
Includes a adjustable kickstand roughly $225.00 with links.. :)

Not to flog "good parts guys and gals"... but I often find that dealership staff know less than most of us that are intimately involved with the product. I am a high need to know type and generally find retail staff know far less than I about the products I am interested in.

Good luck getting this sorted out.
Coming to you from the frozen wastelands of the barren north

The seat height on the bike now that I lowered it is 29 inches I'm 5'6 and I feel very comfortable on it . You can stll Ride 2 up with lots of travel in suspension..
I weight 170 and with a passager of 160 on the bike lowered I have no problems with ride comfort.

I'm curious, Might you know the length of the links themselves? I'm gunna measure mine and see how much difference there is- I know they're way shorter than the stock ones... anything that might help.

• Premium Member
I'm going to look into the soupys, I got ahold of my stealer, and they did order lowering lonks for the FZ-09. Not interchangeable. awesome....
According to this parts list the links are the same? confused2_zpsv8dmakkf.gif
Just an FYI, the fork cartridge kit for the FZ-09 is the same as for the FJ-09.
Not disputing that they did not fit for you, just wondering why. Maybe only the stock links are the same, but due to the longer swingarm on the F-Jay, the longer lowering links to lower the bike hit? (Taking a guess here as the links to raise my FJR1300 were shorter.)

3753112.jpg

3753124.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

So the oem links are the same. I kinda figured the suspension was a little different since the fj is a bit taller.
In regard to having to grind down the weld, might it be possible that I have to grind down more of the swingarm? I'm not sure I'd be comfortable taking more material off...
I'll take a few pictures when I get the chance and put them up for y'all to see.

• Premium Member
Is the swing arm longer on the FJ? Yamaha Canada web site shows both the FZ and FJ with a 56.7" wheel base.
Wow, just checked. Same part number for the FZ and FJ swingarms. Go figure. Soooooo, the lowering links for the FZ should work me thinks. 3754153.jpg

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

I popped one link out and took a comparison shet of the two links.http://imgur.com/dwiwqHv
imagine the soupys look similar and are probably the same size? I definitely looks like the knuckle that the shock bolts to is hitting the swing arm. Tried to get a picture, but it's too tight to get my phone in there... It seems to me now the answer is more grinding... Has anyone done one of these and can confirm how far to go?

Ulewz, I'm thinking you're probably right and that I'm probably a rookie who is working on a bike newer than 1985 for the first time...

dwiwqHv.jpg

Archived