Anyone fitted any alternative hand guards

26 minutes ago, kmev said:

If that gap is your concern, push the mount onto the bar - those guards are flexible. 

Yes, the will the mounts fit, you think? I tried but was afraid of cracking them... 

I canceled the return, will try fitting them tomorrow. But I don't think the mounts will "budge" at all...

Edited by tidji

Just now, tidji said:

Yes, the will the mounts fit, you think? I tried but was afraid of cracking them...

You will have to move the cable zip ties and fit it under the clutch cable, but it will go. You may have to put the bolt in from the front, as the bolt head was smaller than the nut. It took a bit of fiddling before I got mine on, and it is on the bend of the bar which is not ideal, but it works just fine. 

Does it make a difference whether I put the thing in from the front / the back?

Both mounts have similar "fittings" for the screws/bolts. 

I think I will get longer (slightly) screws and the thing will work. Somehow.

Handguard6.jpg

Handguard5.jpg

Handguard4.jpg

Edited by tidji

9 minutes ago, tidji said:

Does it make a difference whether I put the thing in from the front / the back?

Both mounts have similar "fittings" for the screws/bolts. 

I think I will get longer (slightly) screws and the thing will work. Somehow.

The bolt direction doesn't matter. Are you installing this on the newer GT with the narrower bars - putting the clamp closer to the riser mount on the larger part of the tapered bar? I did not need longer bolts on my 2015.  

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed the KTM guards today. Yes, the front and back 'clamps' of the guards, where they go around the the handlebar, seem at first too small. But with the bolts entering from the front, and a little elbow grease, you can the get the nut on the first couple threads. Then just go back and forth tightening the upper and lower. The plastic of the 'clamp' is soft and you will eventually get them snugged.

Boy, they sure clear my V-Stream windshield with room to spare, unlike the stockers! I'll be interested to see if wind management or vibration is different. But I have my bars filled with copper-jacketed BB's, so the vibes haven't been bothersome at all.

Edited by LaFartessa

mine fit with a little gap...once you get the bolts started the clamps will grab the bar.  it just takes a bit of wiggling around to make them fit.  I know what you mean about thinking they don't fit at first, I thought the same thing.   I also have the same part number as yours too.

ktm gaurds clamp.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi guys!

New owner of a 2015 Tracer, one of the first things I wanted was to remove the OEM handguards, I find them ugly and unpractical. I was searching for alternative handguards online, the KTM ones are nice and I also found cheaper copies of them. And then, it hit me. Being an past owner of 4 Aprilias I have a lot of interaction with fellow Aprilia bike owners and Aprilia forums, I remembered that the Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 has a nice set of handguards, slicker style, more "on road-ish" and cheap! I got a set from local dealer for 12 euros😁  (US owners can reach the folks at AF1racing, huge Aprilia dealer and a lot of happy customers all over the world) and went to my garage...

Seems they are a nice fit but I need to fabricate a small metal bracket to hold the handguard in place at mirror stay. No big deal. I'll add that there are also the handguards from the Caponord 1200 which are bigger and more "off raod-ish" that might fit also...

I'll report when I finish but I don't see I will encounter any problems.

hg1.jpg

hg2.jpg

hg3.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 3/8/2022 at 3:03 PM, lpawelek said:

Great job, could send the photo how did you connect with the right handguard. Left is quite visible :). Thanks in advance :)

Hi, sorry for the late reply but I've sold the Tracer and not following the forum closely.

I haven't got any better pics of the handguards but it was just a matter of fabricating the appropriate brackets (in lenght and bents) and trimming a bit the edge of the RH handuard with a dremel as it was hiting the brake fluid reservoir.

I did make 3d print brackets for better looks but they broke after some miles (maybe vibrations) so I stuck with the metal ones until I sold the bike.

• Thumbsup 1

On 7/13/2015 at 12:44 PM, scldr2 said:
I put a set of Acerbis Street hand guards on my fj and binned the Star Wars ones that came on it 

I have not done it yet, but was wondering about the Barkbuster Storm hand guards.  I put those on my KLR and loved them.  I'm not sure if the "frame" is long enough to reach around the switchgear controls.

I just fit up a set of their single end mount ones. Nice and solid and clear all the aftermarket mastercylinders I have fitted. Great hand/storm protection.

Edited by Buggy Nate

• 1 year later...