Anyone fitted any alternative hand guards

I purchased these KTM hand guards, scuffed them with steel wool  used several coats of the suggested Crylon matt paint. Easy. they fit right on, and match very well.  Just got back from a round trip from Portland/SF and they worked fine. 
Where are the pics?  ;)  And  will they clear that new windscreen you are about to make?  :-/

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Pics as soon as I can, though they look like the pics others have posted already, which is where I got the idea.

I would gladly take them off to allow fitment of a wind screen properly wide at the bottom!

• 3 weeks later...
I had my first decent journey today ( a jaunt into London) I found that the wind noise was much quieter than with the standard guards but I was getting a bit more numbness in the hands. But (and this is a big but) I have got new gloves and jackect that may affect this and also suffer from a rare form of migraine brought on by stress (of which I have loads at the moment) and one of the symptoms/side effects is numbness and pins and needles so I am on a bit of a a hiding for nothing really. So I think I will fit the bar end weights that came with the guards and see if that makes a difference

try some Grip Puppies - I have reviewed them on here, so do a search. 
They do two things that may help. First, which is why I have them, they increase the diameter of the grips making your hold more relaxed and b) they are an extra insulation against vibrations. 

i use grip puppies on most of my bikes and they very good,

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
i fitted the original balancers onto the KTM Handguard. the buzzing/vibrations on my hand continued for a few days after i returned from a long trip.
Would you post a pic of where the handguard mounts on the handlebar near the screen? Thanks 

you can refer to this thread

http://fj-09.org/thread/2068/clutch-cable?page=2&scrollTo=25608

or this photo for an idea

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14166405/20150904_144739.jpg

If you fit the mounting bolts from the front and put the nuts on the rear, there is more room for the clutch cable to pass by without rubbing against anything.
 To be certain then, these KTM hand guards will fit without any modification, with or without the OEM bar end weights installed?  Thanks.

• Premium Member
If you fit the mounting bolts from the front and put the nuts on the rear, there is more room for the clutch cable to pass by without rubbing against anything.
 To be certain then, these KTM hand guards will fit without any modification, with or without the OEM bar end weights installed?  Thanks.
Yes - took minutes using a combination of the OE bolts & those supplied in the kit.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I fitted mine directly to the bars, removing the Yamaha bar end weights. The Yamaha bar end bolts are too long without the weight but the KTM bar expander bolts thread into the Yamaha bars. Done this way there is not a lot of clearance between the clutch cable and the clamp bolts (see pic above where the cable is touching the nut). There may be some combinations of clutch lever angle and position and guard position that can't be done as the guard clamp interferes with the cable. But it looks like many positions will work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Interested in this but i am also worried about eliminating the bar end weights. Can anyone please commend on this?
If you have the stock hand guards, there are no bar end weights. i have the KTM hand guards, with no bar end weights, and there is no noticeable difference.