Anyone fitted any alternative hand guards

There are bar end weights or spacers with the stock setup. They're made from aluminium so they are not very weighty. Yamaha part # 2PP-2624B-00-00 End, Grip 2
( #24 on http://www.yamahapartspro.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26d8f87002164cb28061/steering-handle-cable)

I found the vibration to be the same or slightly reduced with the KTM guards and no spacers or weights.

So they are inside the stock handguard which is what i was kind of thinking as well. After being stuck today in traffic in London, i think it is time to replace the stock handgurads. They add ~ 10 cm to the width of the bar and filtering becomes difficult if not impossible in many cases.

The KTM guards though can be expensive even when used and they have now been superseded. I will keep looking however!

• Premium Member
So they are inside the stock handguard which is what i was kind of thinking as well. After being stuck today in traffic in London, i think it is time to replace the stock handgurads. They add ~ 10 cm to the width of the bar and filtering becomes difficult if not impossible in many cases. 
The KTM guards though can be expensive even when used and they have now been superseded. I will keep looking however!

Seem to be in stock in the UK:
http://www.fowlers.co.uk/offroad/handguards-closed-black-6169
http://www.mandsmotorcycles.co.uk/shop/950-990-adventure-closed-handguards-black (which was my source)

This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 3 weeks later...
Just fitted the Polisport sharp handguards. Certainly a cleaner, less bulky look than stock, but for their installation i just had to file them a bit especially the LHS, at the clutch cable area. The fit is relatively snug i would say. I have not taken them out on a ride so i can not comment on wind protection. They are only ~£20 ($30) so if they are no good they will be replaced.

I really did not want to go down the KTM handguards route. Having owned a KTM before, i do not really want to spend any more money on this brand..

• 4 weeks later...

I can't find anywhere to actually buy them, or I would have ordered them with the Puig windshield.  Points to anyone who can find me a place to purchase the guards!
Puig customer support sent me to a website called motovationusa.com. If they aren't listed on the website email sales@motovationusa.com and they will set it up. I was going to order them and still may, but they are $200 which is a little pricey for handguards.

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• 1 month later...
Hello, just a quick question regarding the KTM guards. I fitted a set and although I can't confess to having tried them out on the road yet. They look so much better than the originals and completely clear the Puig screen I have fitted.

Could others that have gone to the effort of fitting them let me know if they went to the trouble of removing the original guard's bracket that went to the base of the levers. I haven't as yet and find the new guards will just fit although they do touch?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Glen

• Premium Member
Hello, just a quick question regarding the KTM guards. I fitted a set and although I can't confess to having tried them out on the road yet. They look so much better than the originals and completely clear the Puig screen I have fitted. 
Could others that have gone to the effort of fitting them let me know if they went to the trouble of removing the original guard's bracket that went to the base of the levers. I haven't as yet and find the new guards will just fit although they do touch?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Glen

Yep, removed mine just to make it a clean install. I have a Madstad 22" screen set on the low position, and have no clearance issues from the guards. 
  • Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...
Just did this with some older KTM guards and noticed something interesting.  On my bike , the wires front the switches go in front of the tree on the right and behind on the left.  The right side has more slack.  In looking at various photos in the forum, it looks like they are routed differently on each bike.  To me, it makes more sense that they be routed in front of the tree to match those annoying tabs on the handbar clamps.  Thoughts?

• 1 month later...
There are bar end weights or spacers with the stock setup. They're made from aluminium so they are not very weighty. Yamaha part # 2PP-2624B-00-00 End, Grip 2 ( #24 on http://www.yamahapartspro.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26d8f87002164cb28061/steering-handle-cable)

I found the vibration to be the same or slightly reduced with the KTM guards and no spacers or weights.
I fitted the KTM guards last year, and like them much more than stock.  ALthough on long rides the vibes bother my right hand.  Does anyone know if the FZ-09 heavy bar end weights like from HVP-
would fit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261434075351

I realize they might look a bit strange sticking out so far, but I know they will kill the vibes

Fill your handle bars with lead shot. It will dampen the vibes really well.

I used to ride "thumpers" and many KTM's actually, and to fight numb hands and vibes much worse than the FJ09 has.

Some guys use lead shot, some use BB's some have special lead inbeded in a stretch rope you pull thin through the bar, then let it retract, and cut off the long ends. (Fills the bar that way with silicone and lead.)

But I've found the cheapest is BB's. (The lead is about 30.00 USD for a bag used by guys who reload shot gun shells locally.) But you could fill 10 bars with a bag I suppose.

BB's were 8.00 at WalMart, and have a nifty pointed cap that you can use to fill up the bars. (Just remove one side, I suggest the right, put the bike on the side stand, so the right side is "up" and turn the bars to help put the end up even more. Pour in BB's and put the end back on. Take for a ride, and notice that your bars full of dead weight will kill vibes very well.

Add Grip Puppies or Doggies? I have had a few pairs on various bikes, really like them, and put them OVER the heated pads, around your stock grips, and they kill vibes well, and work perfect for cold days too. (Just make sure you get ATV ones, not Motorcycle ones, or your side to side heat will be different this way.)

But I digress. Try some dead weight in the bars to kill the vibes. Much cheaper than fancy bar end weights, and it works better too.

• 2 weeks later...
Interested in this but i am also worried about eliminating the bar end weights. Can anyone please commend on this?
If you have the stock hand guards, there are no bar end weights. i have the KTM hand guards, with no bar end weights, and there is no noticeable difference.
I have done this also and have a terrible buzz through the bars, mine def needs bar end weights, and please dont take your hands off the bars whilst moving i did at 30mph to shake the numbness off and instantly got headshake really bad.
Anyine help with the bar end weight scenario? The oem ones on the original guards are too light and bulky

just came back from a 300 mile ride. I have replaced the stock bar with protapers, removed the ugly batman handguards (useless in a crash) and added sato bar end ss weights + grip puppies. Minimal vibes. No tingling and numbness at all. Plus my bike has that one of a kind look :)
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
just came back from a 300 mile ride. I have replaced the stock bar with protapers, removed the ugly batman handguards (useless in a crash) and added sato bar end ss weights + grip puppies. Minimal vibes. No tingling and numbness at all. Plus my bike has that one of a kind look :)
Until my SS Sato's come in. I ordered them Friday.... :)   Of course I don't have the Pro Tapers.

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA