• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 33 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Yamaha's Chain Slack Specification

• Premium Member
I would like to add that we tried my bike with my wife and I on it and it tightened up to banjo string tight with no slack at all rather than loosening like has been rumored. We moved to 1" and with both of us on there it was still tight. I've actually moved my slack to 1 3/8" and then that gives us room for a bit of movement with both of us on and that's without putting any luggage on. And no, neither of us is anywhere close to 250#. I rode the bike to his house and after we loosened the chain I noticed a lot of that 6th gear whine went away. I'm firmly of the belief that there are going to be some issues if you don't loosen it at least some. Has anybody else measured with and without rider/passenger?
Ty did, and found it tightened up, not loosened up. Have you seen this link: linky

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes I did, I actually messed up and linked it in what has become the combined thread titled Chain Slack. I did find it interesting that some of the gear whine let up. I will say, as many of the FZ-09's as there is out there, if this thing proves to be a huge problem there's going to be a lot of them to get information from.
What blew my mind also, was in the other thread Glass3222 stated his wife has an FZ07 and the manual states that chain slack should be set at 51-55.8mm!!!!
How could they possibly be so wildly different? I do know where I'm running my chain at and I think the suspension feels better this way also.

if you're putting a passenger and/or luggage on the bike you have to adjust the shock to compensate and test chain slack accordingly. But 1 3/8" is only 35mm which is still no big deal. If you're getting into 50mm I would start to ask why my suspension is compressing so much with the load in question.

the FZ07 likely has a different swing-arm/chain angle (ie. relative position of counter sprocket to swing-arm pivot, size of rear sprocket and length of swing-arm). I'll agree 50mm (2") is a bit unusual. I'll ask the denizens of the FZ07 board what they've observed.

• 2 weeks later...
I think I'm in for a new chain, pretty sure there is a seized link, have an automatic oiler installed from new (Scottoiler) - 11 500 miles. Whilst I will be taking it up with my dealer, I am not holding my breath that the manufacturer will entertain it as a claim caused by being too tight for some of its 'life'.

• 6 months later...
Real rookie question here...what size is the rear axle nut?

I want to make sure I've got a socket to fit. Looks smaller than most from the piccy, but I honestly can't tell

I haven't got access to my bike at the moment, so can't check. Anyone know off the top of their head please?
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Typical. I have sockets either side of that...humph
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Ran into the same issue with the FZ09. I left it at 5mm slack when the bike was new and the chain quickly stretch to 20-25mm range! I left it this way but by the time I get around 10K miles or so the chain was junk with link all bend up & down. I replace the chain/sprocket combo and started the slack at 25mm on the side stand (new chain). It went up to 30mm after a track day and 2-3K miles and been like that ever since (readjust it to 25mm). I'm about 7K miles in this chain now and still look great (-1 front 520 chain kit).

Up to you how much chain slack you want to use. For the same reason your wife will admit she's wrong... I'm not expecting Yamaha imagineer to do so! LOL

Slackened mine off today, boy was that Ukulele tight! (or whatever that USA expression was everyone keeps using). Bike's done 300 miles from new, so hopefully not too much damage. Thanks for the heads up everyone!

• Premium Member
27mm. 

Assuming you're in a modern country that uses metric. 
P-)
2%20countries_zpsuaolyq6c.jpg 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived