Oil filler - who designed this?!

• Premium Member
I did my first oil change tonight, and was struck by the oil filler's poor design. It is located on the right side of the engine case, almost vertical. When the bike is on the centerstand the filler is impossible to use, but when it's on the sidestand the filler is just nearly impossible. Was the intention that I lay the bike down on its side to fill the oil?  >:(

I appreciate the centerstand, I really do. Thank you Yamaha! But given that the oil sight glass is designed to be used while the bike is on the centerstand, shouldn't it be possible to add oil while on the centerstand, too?

I suppose this shouldn't come as a surprise from the company that designed the fuel filler on the V-Max.  (rofl)

• Premium Member
I went to Wilkinsons and spent 99p on a set of 3 kitchen funnels, although one of those with a flexible neck would be better. After 4000 miles, no oil has been added and I have a dealer service the bike. The one in the UK seem mostly competent...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I did my first oil change tonight, and was struck by the oil filler's poor design. It is located on the right side of the engine case, almost vertical. When the bike is on the centerstand the filler is impossible to use, but when it's on the sidestand the filler is just nearly impossible. Was the intention that I lay the bike down on its side to fill the oil?  >:( 
I appreciate the centerstand, I really do. Thank you Yamaha! But given that the oil sight glass is designed to be used while the bike is on the centerstand, shouldn't it be possible to add oil while on the centerstand, too?

I suppose this shouldn't come as a surprise from the company that designed the fuel filler on the V-Max.  (rofl)

I thought it was in a weird place as well, but had no troubles with it. What about it made it impossible for you? I got all my oil in just fine with a regular funnel.

Just use a funnel, it's really not that difficult. The FJ9 is one of the easiest bikes I've had in years for oil changes...
Want easy, the FJR is easy-oil filter, sight glass and fill plug all on the left side. No need to walk around from one side of the bike to the other. 

• Premium Member
Just use a funnel, it's really not that difficult. The FJ9 is one of the easiest bikes I've had in years for oil changes...
I guess I need a better funnel. I have two and neither work well with this filler angle.

• Premium Member
Would you rather have a wider engine so the fill cap has less interference from the clutch plates?
Here's an idea: put the filler on a horizontal surface, such as the top of the clutch cover. I suspect the existing position has more to do with aesthetics.

• Premium Member
This is what I use on my dirtbikes and the F-Jay. Works perfect:

link
link2

A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Premium Member
618kQak-xiL._SY355_.jpg
No issues with this one. :)
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

Archived