2016-What changes if any will we see for the FJ-09 (MT-09)?

• Premium Member
More gadgets from the FJR and Super Tenere such as cruise control but not until 2017
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
More gadgets from the FJR and Super Tenere such as cruise control but not until 2017
Where d'you get that from, wessie - or is it just a guess(ie)? L

^ what he said, cruise would be a good feature to have. Not sure what other "gadgets" from the FJR or ST would cross over, w/o adding cost & weight.
A variation of the FJ already set up from the factory with the heated grips and hard side cases, along with cruise would be welcome by many.

^ what he said, cruise would be a good feature to have. Not sure what other "gadgets" from the FJR or ST would cross over, w/o adding cost & weight.
A variation of the FJ already set up from the factory with the heated grips and hard side cases, along with cruise would be welcome by many.
I road tested a super ténéré last week and apprecieted the cruise control . I would like to be able to install one on my fj-09

If I were to venture a guess, I say an FJ-09 ES model is coming in the next couple years with electronic suspension and cruise control for $1,000 - $1,500 USD extra.  This is a pattern Yamaha has done with the S10 (Super Ténéré) and the FJR.  It would make marketing sense to withhold CC from the base model and only include it in the "premium" ES model as purely a low cost (to Yamaha) up-sell for their premium model.  They may even throw in bags and a comfort seat at a price of $2,000-$2,500 USD extra instead of the previous price mentioned.  That would put it in direct competition to the Versys 1k.  All the touring amenities of the Versys 1k, similar hp (115 vs 120) but 60-100 lbs lighter, taking into consideration the bags and suspension weight added to the FJ, for about the same price as the Versys.

As long as we are speculating, I think a baby S10 is coming based on the 09 platform.  Maybe call it an S09 or just plain Ténéré minus the Super?

Either way, fun to speculate but hard to tell what Yamaha is actually thinking.

• Premium Member

Pure speculation, but as I often say in my assessments, past behaviour is a good indicator of future behaviour. Yamaha has a history of rolling out technology from one model across the range. As the electronics are the same on the Tracer as the bigger bikes, it would not take a lot of effort for the gadgets I mention, plus the electronic suspension to be included in a model update. I agree a "posh spec" and a "poverty spec" is likely. Yamaha already do this with the S10 and other makers are doing the same.  
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I hope they don't add more stuff. One of the attractions of the FJ-09 (compared to say the VFR800) is that it's simpler and lighter. If they add cruise control, heated grips, linked brakes, self-cancelling signals, etc, it will just make the bike heavier, more expensive, more stuff to break down, more difficult to work on, etc. The FJ-09 is a no-frills light sporty touring bike and it should stay that way. Those who want a fully decked out touring bike can add them using aftermarket parts, or get the Super Tenere.

I do like that it has traction control and ABS though, those are important safety features.

• Premium Member
If they add cruise control, heated grips, linked brakes, self-cancelling signals, etc, it will just make the bike heavier, more expensive, more stuff to break down, more difficult to work on, etc.
The factory heated grips add at most a few grams of weight to the FJ, certainly not enough that anyone would ever notice. And cruise control is mostly just a firmware update, again maybe a couple of grams for extra switches. Your key fob probably adds much weight to the FJ-09 as cruise control would.

• 2 months later...
Looking around at the California Air Resources Board documents (and having too much free time), my color predictions for 2016 are:

FJ09GCB = Raven (shiny black)
FJ09GCS = Matte Silver
From: 2016 http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/onroad/cert/hmc/2016/yamaha_m0030643_847_0d6_hn.pdf

I got this from looking at some others that already exist ...
2016 FZ07GCGY = Liquid Graphite
2016 FZ07GCB = Raven
2016 FZ07GCS = Matte Silver
2016 FZ09GCGY = Matte Gray
2016 FZ09GCB = Raven
2016 FZ09GCL = Impact Blue
2015 FZ09FCGY = Matte Gray
2015 FZ09FCS = Matte Silver
2015 FZ09FCY = Cadmium Yellow

I'm curious if they would change the forks from gold to black for Raven, or blue for Matte Silver. I like the silver tanks, but not necessarily the blue wheels. The European versions are slightly different yet.

2015 MT-09 Tracer in Race Blu
2015-Yamaha-MT09-Tracer-EU-Race-Blu-Studio-002.jpg

2016 FZ-07 and FZ-09 in Raven
img.jpg?id=28528&w=840img.jpg?id=29138&w=840

2016 FZ-07 and 2015 FZ-09 in Matte Silver
img.jpg?id=28544&w=840img.jpg?id=26035&w=840

Or ... I could be totally wrong.

• Premium Member
Is the seat different on the Tracer? Looks to be
Yes. The Tracer/FJ09 & MT07/FZ07 have a 2 piece seat.

On the unfaired MT09/FZ09 the seat is a single unit and the lock is under the seat subframe. There is a protective cover over the lock but it will get dirty from crud flying up from the tyre. Stupid arrangement - if the cover comes loose the lock will get covered in dirt and may fail. 

Archived