2016-What changes if any will we see for the FJ-09 (MT-09)?

Is the seat different on the Tracer? Looks to be
Yes. The Tracer/FJ09 & MT07/FZ07 have a 2 piece seat. 
On the unfaired MT09/FZ09 the seat is a single unit and the lock is under the seat subframe. There is a protective cover over the lock but it will get dirty from crud flying up from the tyre. Stupid arrangement - if the cover comes loose the lock will get covered in dirt and may fail. 
The seat on the Very Top Bike the Silver Tracer, looks to be a different shape than the FJ-09

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I hope they don't add more stuff. One of the attractions of the FJ-09 (compared to say the VFR800) is that it's simpler and lighter. If they add cruise control, heated grips, linked brakes, self-cancelling signals, etc, it will just make the bike heavier, more expensive, more stuff to break down, more difficult to work on, etc. The FJ-09 is a no-frills light sporty touring bike and it should stay that way. Those who want a fully decked out touring bike can add them using aftermarket parts, or get the Super Tenere. 
I do like that it has traction control and ABS though, those are important safety features.
While I get what you're saying, the FJ-09 is already a very complicated beast, sharing its core electronics with the Super Tenere.  A number of the electronic features of the Super Tenere that aren't on the FJ-09 are nothing more than software that isn't turned on, and/or buttons that are missing.  The capabilities are there already, e.g. you just plug in heated grips and the capability lights up in the electronics. 
It would be easy for the FJ to pick up more of the capabilities of the SuperTen if Yamaha chose to do so.  I don't think they will do much of that, though, I think they're targeting a different demographic:  More sportbike than touring or ADV.

If I had my choice of things they might do to the FJ-09, I'd give it fully adjustable suspension and cruise control (really surprised how much I miss that now that I'm using a cheap throttle lock and riding much longer trips) and a less lousy windscreen.  Leave everything else alone.  Oh, smooth out the throttle at low openings.  That would be nice too.

If you ask me what I think they will do in 2016, I think they will change the colors and maybe improve the throttle response a bit.  I wouldn't expect anything more until at least 2017.  They may well offer some other features as add-on options though.  Cruise control would be easy.  I don't think there's any chance they'll do much to the suspension other than perhaps play with the damping rates; they're trying to hit a price point.

I expect them to introduce at least one more model based around the same motor and chassis.  I think they believe the SuperTen caters well enough to the ADV crowd, so I think they may have a fully faired version in the works, basically a cheaper and sportier FJR, or if you will their version of the old pre-VTEC VFR.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

• Premium Member
It would be easy for the FJ to pick up more of the capabilities of the SuperTen if Yamaha chose to do so.  I don't think they will do much of that, though, I think they're targeting a different demographic:  More sportbike than touring or ADV. 
If I had my choice of things they might do to the FJ-09, I'd give it fully adjustable suspension and cruise control (really surprised how much I miss that now that I'm using a cheap throttle lock and riding much longer trips) and a less lousy windscreen.  Leave everything else alone. 

I'm perfectly OK with more sporty than ADV. One reason I traded off the KLR for mine. :) 
A agree on the suspension upgrade/tweaking and a redesigned windscreen. Other than that I love it as is.
2015 Stealth Grey FJ-09 Pilot
Base of Operations: Chesterfield, VA
Farkels? Lots, nothing flashy, but all functional...

I would like to see a platinum or premium package containing brembo brakeso and ohlins or traxxion suspension. Auto manufactures do this and make huge profit while providing the educated buyer with a much better product.

The accountants are in charge... we want a skunk works division to make this platform what is capable of. Ducati and Aprilia do it, the FJ power plant would be a contenter in an upper market.

Entry level with bold new paint is the new Yamaha. Bummer

• Premium Member
I would like to see a platinum or premium package containing brembo brakeso and ohlins or traxxion suspension. Auto manufactures do this and make huge profit while providing the educated buyer with a much better product.  
The accountants are in charge... we want a skunk works division to make this platform what is capable of. Ducati and Aprilia do it, the FJ power plant would be a contenter in an upper market.

If you look at the development of the Super Tenere, after the first proper refresh about 4 years after launch they produced 2 models. One with the bells & whistles such as electronic suspension. Many owners of early bikes upgraded. 
It does not make marketing sense to introduce too many changes a year after launch when sales are still strong. Just play with the colours to suck in those who do not like the current ones. Few riders change bikes each year and a major refresh will always reduce residual values . As I have said a few times, the significant changes will be in 2017 or 2018. They will hope that many of those who have 2015 bikes will be ready to change and may stay loyal to the brand if there are some significant improvements to be had.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
I don't think I would agree with this.  Look at the R1; that's a technological tour-de-force. 
Yamaha has been hitting home runs -- or at least triples (so to speak) -- with a lot of their new bikes with superb price/performance.  We may harp on the suspension on the FJ-09, but it's actually the best suspension I've ever had on any Japanese bike I've owned, and most of them that I've ridden, excepting the pure sportbikes, and the price point is very hard to beat.

There is a new large focus on smaller displacement bikes due at least in part to the new Euro licensing scheme.  That has meant lots of manufacturers pumping out really nice bikes, rather than recycled designs from decades ago.

Rather than seeing this kind of change in focus on the low end as bad, I look at it as a new golden age in motorcycles.  Two years ago you could count the number of motorcycles I really wanted to buy on one or perhaps two fingers (Street Triple R, Ducati 848).  Today there are upwards of a dozen -- three different 250-300cc bikes from the Japanese manufacturers, a small KTM, the FJ that I actually bought, Ducati Scrambler, Street Triple R, XCx and XRx, several racer replicas (have you seen the new R!?!), and more.  Even the new VFR got a look, and I haven't looked at a VFR since they went VTEC.

If Yamaha is choosing to use e.g. lower grade suspension to hit a price point, that's nothing new, and as I said they've done a better job at even that than I've seen in the past.  It has also bred a vibrant aftermarket with lots of choices.

This is a great time to be a motorcyclist.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

Archived