Puig deflector with Powerbronze screen

wessie

• Premium Member
Regular readers will remember my review of the Powerbronze screen http://fj-09.org/thread/863/powerbronze-screen 

The screen improved things but not enough for my liking.

I read a number of reviews for screen spoilers, deflectors etc. Lumps of perspex that attach to the top of the screen in some way.

I didn't like the cost but whilst consuming a bottle of rioja a week ago I bought this Puig clip on job from Germany. 88 euros, about 64 UK pounds. It arrived Wednesday by DPD 

It works! Very quiet up to 60mph and then gets a bit noisier as you go faster but way below what it was before. In fact, when making progress, it's the growl of the engine that is more apparent than the wind noise. 

It's not the prettiest thing and it does sit in my eyeline unless I sit very upright. The air pressure above 75mph makes the Powerbronze screen bend a lot but not wobble too much. At least when it's bent back it is out of my eyeline. 

I rode home tonight in heavy rain along a fast dual carriageway and there were no problems in the rain and enough airflow to clear my visor. 

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, if it stops raining. My garage has poor lighting so the images will be better outside.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Too gloomy for pictures with my unsophisticated phone camera.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
Regular readers will remember my review of the Powerbronze screen http://fj-09.org/thread/863/powerbronze-screen  
The screen improved things but not enough for my liking.

I read a number of reviews for screen spoilers, deflectors etc. Lumps of perspex that attach to the top of the screen in some way.

I didn't like the cost but whilst consuming a bottle of rioja a week ago I bought this Puig clip on job from Germany. 88 euros, about 64 UK pounds. It arrived Wednesday by DPD 

It works! Very quiet up to 60mph and then gets a bit noisier as you go faster but way below what it was before. In fact, when making progress, it's the growl of the engine that is more apparent than the wind noise. 

It's not the prettiest thing and it does sit in my eyeline unless I sit very upright. The air pressure above 75mph makes the Powerbronze screen bend a lot but not wobble too much. At least when it's bent back it is out of my eyeline. 

I rode home tonight in heavy rain along a fast dual carriageway and there were no problems in the rain and enough airflow to clear my visor. 

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, if it stops raining. My garage has poor lighting so the images will be better outside.
I wonder if the designer was also inspired by Rioja, maybe Chianti. Looks a little like something from a Lambretta.

• Premium Member
I went for a ride in the Wye Valley today and loaned the deflector to a mate on a Honda ST1300 - he's now ordered one!

We met in Chepstow and rode all the way to Hay on Wye via a number of hills & valleys. I had ridden 40 miles to get to Chepstow and then rode 55 miles to Hay. I really noticed a difference. With the deflector at normal riding speeds on those roads i.e. 50-70mph there is very little wind noise and you hear the lovely induction growl, and all of the other engine noises. Without the deflector the wind noise drowns the engine noise above 50mph.

The rubbish views we had in the Golden Valley near Peterchurch. It was a bit blurry this afternoon for some reason.

Screenshot%202015-06-14%2019.40.25.png

• Premium Member
I went for a ride in the Wye Valley today and loaned the deflector to a mate on a Honda ST1300 - he's now ordered one! 
We met in Chepstow and rode all the way to Hay on Wye via a number of hills & valleys. I had ridden 40 miles to get to Chepstow and then rode 55 miles to Hay. I really noticed a difference. With the deflector at normal riding speeds on those roads i.e. 50-70mph there is very little wind noise and you hear the lovely induction growl, and all of the other engine noises. Without the deflector the wind noise drowns the engine noise above 50mph.

The rubbish views we had in the Golden Valley near Peterchurch. It was a bit blurry this afternoon for some reason.

I was watching that screen on the Pan the other day, and realised that the Tracer may be a sports tourer but it ain't no tourer! Not sure why he needs any more protection :)

• Premium Member

and ok, I'm jealous, stuck inn the congestion of the South East...

• Premium Member
I think I prefer using dropbox to the add attachment widget. It's a bit clunky

2015-06-15%2019.15.50.jpg
2015-06-15%2019.16.11.jpg
2015-06-15%2019.16.22.jpg

• Premium Member
Nice collection of midges
Premium quality from the Wye Valley, fed on Welsh cattle & sheep. None of your Docklands swamp creatures that have to live off humans. 

• Premium Member
Nice collection of midges
Premium quality from the Wye Valley, fed on Welsh cattle & sheep. None of your Docklands swamp creatures that have to live off humans. 
Save them for garibaldi biscuits

• 2 weeks later...
Wessie have you tried this clip on with the standard screen out of interest? Just wondered if it was effective enough or if the powerbronze is still needed to calm the buffeting.
Do you think powerbronze + the visor is as good as it gets?

• Premium Member
I can't test it with the std screen as grosgym has mine, swapped for a Yamaha touring screen (which is horrible, and will be what gets fitted to the bike should I change it in a few years)

• 1 month later...
I've gone down this same route. Puig clip-on definitely quietens it down a bit. Haven't played around too much yet and I'd still like to try it against the stock screen with the clip-on.
Dont know if it makes the powerbronze screen wobble more, or if it's just more noticeable because the clips are a solid object in your vision (as opposed to the clear screen). Either way it does move about a bit but it doesn't worry me.

• Premium Member
After a few 1000 miles with the set-up described, the bend of the screen is nothing to worry about. I had my dealer's standard MT09/FZ09 for a couple of days last week and really missed my Puig/Powerbronze combo.

Archived