Watch out for Shad

• Premium Member
Ordered a complete set of side bags and top case.  The mounting plate for the top case is the wrong one.  Calls to customer service, tech support and sales are going to voice mail.  Left a message for customer service three days ago with no response.  Just sent an email, but can't say I am optimistic.  Just though you all ought to know there are problems with them.  >:D

• Premium Member
Thanks for the tip, but I got a voice message for sales too. Much to my surprise someone has responded to my email. So there is hope. But even here he wants to know which top case I ordered. In my email they have my name and order number. I guess its too onerous to look up. One would think the outsized margins on overpriced blown plastic would allow them to adequately staff the phones.

• Premium Member
They went back to form. Brief moment of hope crushed by indifference. I sent them a picture of the wrong part. It is so obviously wrong. They responded with a form email saying their parts allways fit perfect. I responded with an email with pictures showing installation, so they can correct me if I am wrong and of the wrong part again so they could swap it if is wrong as I claim. No response after a week. Worst customer service ever.

• Premium Member
They went back to form. Brief moment of hope crushed by indifference. I sent them a picture of the wrong part. It is so obviously wrong. They responded with a form email saying their parts allways fit perfect. I responded with an email with pictures showing installation, so they can correct me if I am wrong and of the wrong part again so they could swap it if is wrong as I claim. No response after a week. Worst customer service ever.
Can you post pics of the mounting plate and the mating surface of the top case? 

• Premium Member
You do know that the top case does not push to click down? The opening mechanism has to be operated. I'm not at home at the moment but can post similar for sh46 tomorrow.  

Good point.  This video shows how it works.

I had a shad case on my last bike with a very different opening mechanism. The keys and my side case liners were inside the topcase. I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to open it and contacted shad. Their response was that would never be locked. With the keys inside. No advice on how it operated or anything. Eventually I figured out that you just press the button and I felt like an idiot. All this would have been avoided with a simple instruction sheet. Quality products, but crappy staff and not enough in the way of product support (instructions).

• Premium Member
Thank you so much for your help.  This is a great board.  I am ok with opening the cases, my problem is that I can't get the bolt holes on the top case mounting bracket to line up with the top case mounting plate.  Either the mounting brackets do not go close enough or the plate is not wide enough.  I have a suspicion that the mounting bracket is the wrong one as the bolts that came with the mounting plate are too small and the bracket is already pressed against the passenger handles.  If anyone who has this SH39 case could take a look and see if I am doing this correctly or have the right hardware, I would greatly appreciate it. 

From the rear of the bike -Spacer, Washer bolt combo - order from bike is: spacer,top case mounting bracket, side case mounting bracket, washer
   http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn163/woopest/Picture%201%20washer%20bolt%20setup_zpsqnogaqpg.jpg

Top Case Mounting Bracket
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn163/woopest/Mounting%20Bracket_zpsx2ugwjad.jpg

Top Case Mounting Plate - Note bolts are wider than the case
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn163/woopest/PIcture%203%20mounting%20plate%20on%20rack_zpsmplx8cyt.jpg

Mine was a bit tight as well. Shad say loosely assemble before tightening all the bolts. Obviously the rear mount to the rack is the main constraint.

The front and rear side bolts all just pulled in.

I'll get some pics tomorrow in the light.

Woop,  I saw similar results where the top case bracket seemed wider than the top case mounting plate bolt holes.  The post earlier where the member describes the spacer, side bracket 2 washer, top bracket single washer was spot on in the rear for me (i think brackets were that order).  I think he mentioned before he snugged anything he mounted the top mounting plate.  I did the same, so install it with everything loose, and you can pull in the top case brackets to line up with the plate holes.  Its still close but it worked great for me. 

So +1 to the member who posted those instructions, I had them up on my phone the whole time trying to install.  Would have never figured it out otherwise. 

Archived