Today's projects.

• Premium Member
Today I installed a new Dunlop Roadsmart II rear tire. I'm hoping to get better milage than the stock rear, which got 3000 before becoming a slick. The tread patterns are exactly the same, but the rubber makeup is supposed to be different. 

I also installed SW Motech crash bars. They are a straight forward install, except that there are several different sized bolts and spacers involved. Make sure you look at the instructions closely before installing. They look great and seem like they should give good protection. 

Finally I added a second OEM Yamaha electrical plug in. Easy to do and looks like it is meant to be there. This is because Yamaha wired and installed the mount at the factory. It took about ten minutes and works well. 

Now I am waiting on a handlebar mount for my Garmin GPS. Should be here in a couple days. Then I can install the GPS and plug it into the second electrical plug in. 

Im having almost as much fun upgrading as I am riding. 
Mikengrace.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09. SWmoteck crash bars, OEM front and rear axle sliders, Second OEM electrical plug in, Garmin GPS and mount, Powerbronze lower chin fairing, accessory battery pig tail, Evotech radiator guard. Evotech clip on tank bag.
Fully farkled 2013 Kawasaki KLR650, to keep it company.

Thanks Mike, sounds like you had a productive day!

For the DC outlet, where was the connector on the bike to plug in? Behind the LCD? I was out there for about 5 minutes looking and couldn't locate, although I didn't take anything off. Thanks!

• Premium Member
The leads are behind the screen cradle - there are some pictures somewhere on the forum.

Ref. the new tyre - I did the same last week. I noticed the treads are deeper on the Roadsmart 2 compared to the OE D222, which is promising for longevity. Whilst I have not ridden other than commuting, so not tested higher speed cornering, the handling seems similar and they seemed fine in the pissing rain yesterday.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
You have to take off the windshield and a mounting plate under it. Then there is a cover that is held in place with those plastic pop rivet things. All easy to do. Then you will have acces to a rubber cuff where the pre-wired plug in is. It is right next to the one for the existing outlet. This whole process took ten minutes. Plus the instructions that came with the second plug, are fairly detailed. 
Mikengrace.
2015 Yamaha FJ-09. SWmoteck crash bars, OEM front and rear axle sliders, Second OEM electrical plug in, Garmin GPS and mount, Powerbronze lower chin fairing, accessory battery pig tail, Evotech radiator guard. Evotech clip on tank bag.

• Premium Member
I did a 75 mile tide today, with the new tire. I was taking it relatively easy, to scrub it in. But it felt very much like the stock tire. Hoping it last longer. 
Mikengrace.

Archived