Amazing what can be done with this 'carbo-fibre' vinyl sheet

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
Amazing what can be done with this ‘carbon-fibre’ vinyl sheet.   This is an early attempt - the final job will be neater.
Now I'm roaming the house to see what else can be dressed-up with this left-over stuff: my doggie is looking pretty apprehensive!

L of S
http://i.imgur.com/XlFjhJR.jpg

That looks great L of S! Looks like an exact pattern match to the CF look plastic on the FJ body. Is it? If so, where'd you order it from? Also, what'd you use for a template to cut the dash panel out?

This winter I'd like to attempt to cover the lame honeycomb styling pieces on the front and sides with easier to clean flat plastic in the same carbon pattern as the rest of the plastic. Would be great if I could just buy a sheet of the same carbon fiber look plastic and cut it to size. Worst case, I find thin sheet plastic, cover it with this stuff, and cut it to size.

I understand needing the honeycomb pattern for structural strength on the fairing, but it looks like a fake intake and it's the one styling point I hate the most. Like lame a$$ stick-on fake fender air intakes on an early 90's 4-door Pontiac Bonneville...

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
That looks great L of S! Looks like an exact pattern match to the CF look plastic on the FJ body. Is it? If so, where'd you order it from? Also, what'd you use for a template to cut the dash panel out? 
This winter I'd like to attempt to cover the lame honeycomb styling pieces on the front and sides with easier to clean flat plastic in the same carbon pattern as the rest of the plastic. Would be great if I could just buy a sheet of the same carbon fiber look plastic and cut it to size. Worst case, I find thin sheet plastic, cover it with this stuff, and cut it to size.

I understand needing the honeycomb pattern for structural strength on the fairing, but it looks like a fake intake and it's the one styling point I hate the most. Like lame a$$ stick-on fake fender air intakes on an early 90's 4-door Pontiac Bonneville...

Thank you, jaxn!   I bought the stuff on-line - just look at any auto accessories site on E Bay f'rinstance, to see plenty of choice.   A roll 1m x .5m cost me, postage free, $6, mailed to Oz from China. If you care to PM your postal address I'll be pleased to send you my template, which you'll just need to draw around with a very fine pencil, then cut out using a hard (steel) ruler and VERY sharp knife.   A bit fiddly to get the exact shape, but worthwhile, IMHO - it will take you maybe 20 minutes at most if you have a steady hand!   I'm about to make a second piece to fit more precisely than that shown here, which was a sort-of dummy-run to make sure that it works.
As far as the front honeycomb is concerned, I rather like it, but do foresee it getting clogged with dead bugs through our summer here, so it's my intention to cut out a piece of thin cellophane to fit exactly: there's a groove all round the location for this that I'm hopeful the edges of the cello' will just slip into and be held firmly.   A simple matter to the remove it, de-bug it, and re-install if necessary.
L of S

Archived