SEATing

Count me firmly in the unnacceptably hard camp.  Just had mine one weekend, and ff the handful of bikes I've owned, this one requires the most immediate attention.  Going to try a couple different gel seat pads first.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm spending $25.00 on a pair of Pearl Izumi cycling shorts and another $25.00 on some Canari Gel Liner shorts first. I want the padding and gel to move with me wherever I'm at on the seat. I also cut down the rear rubber bumpers and that helped keep me from sliding forward. Still tinkering but so far, I'm sticking with the stock seat.

Everyday's a good day when your able to ride

15 FJ-09 - 2WDW ECU flash, Givi SV201, Nelson Rigg tail bag, OES sliders, Koubalink extenders, Ermax Sport, Vista Cruise, OEM seat mod, (smiles)
07 Honda ST1300A (sold)
06 Kawi KLR650 - Big Gun full exhaust, Corbin, Givi, PMR racks, carb mod (keeper)
97 Honda VFR750 - Traxxion Dynamics, Penske, Givi 3 piece, carbon exhaust (keeper?)
20+ years of snowmobiles

• Premium Member
 Since I would rather watch mold grow then do an iron butt (nothing against those that do, just not my cup of coffee tea), my Seat Concepts seat is just fine for me. I live for the lean. rilla_zpsahcuowie.gif

Fixed.   lol.gif 
Ty

I drank tea for years and years, but now I drink coffee (I grind beans every morning), so that is why I changed it. ::) 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Guest dmizer
Somebody needs to develop a butt-ometer. You sit on this device, and sensors tell you the proper shape for the foam and the foam density for your weight, shape, and riding position. Kind of like the Sleep Number bed device. Or maybe a device that you sit on your seat and it molds around you to make a seat from. Kind of like a ride in custom seat fitting, but more precise.

I suspect this is largely tongue in cheek, but such a thing actually does exist. http://cyclefit.co.uk/saddle-pressure-mapping

• 3 weeks later...
I think seat comfort also depends on the pants one wears. I thought the stock seat was great up until my latest ride this past weekend. Not 20 minutes into the ride I started to experience extreme discomfort on the seat. I suspect it was due to the Costco jeans I was wearing as they are baggier in the crotch area vs my regular jeans. This excess crotch fabric caused painful chafing in areas where the sun doesn't typically shine. Very disturbing! Will never wear those jeans again when riding! YBMV
I do find that under-clothing can have a big effect on rider comfort. I found out long ago (I have done a lot of long-distance day-in-day-out touring) that the best thing for me under my riding pants is a pair of SKINZ microfiber compression-type of waist-to-knee under-shorts.   Other brands I have seen recommended include Under-Armour, etc. Being very old and somewhat wrinkly and flabby (!) I find that these seem to 'tuck' me in nicely so that I do not suffer from skin-folds or whatever that can cause chafing, heat-rash, whatever.   Their 'wicking-effect' also keeps me relatively dry, and as a bonus they wash and dry very quickly at day's end...As an approach to maximising on-bike comfort - highly recommended.
BUT - not recommended for honeymoon attire!
L of S
 +1 I have been wearing these or something like this for over twenty five years. Started wearing them on the dirt bike, then an endurance rider told me to wear them on road trips. Wow did it help.

Kurt 

• Premium Member
2 things made the seat quite bearable on my bimble to France, covering 1813 miles in 8 days riding (in a 9 day trip where 1 day was as a tourist on foot in Beaune). The longest day was about 370 miles.

Firstly, I raised the seat to the high position giving better leg comfort with a slightly reduced knee bend. This seemed to reduce the weight on my arse, too. Presumably, the straighter leg meant more weight on the pegs.

Secondly, as said by LoS, being choosy with underwear makes a difference. I wore EDZ base layer, an older version of these http://www.edzlayering.com/product/edz-all-climate-motorcycle-base-layer-leggings/ which have no seams. Now, when I ride to work with my regular underwear and jeans on I can feel the the seat is less comfortable. I think the edges of the relatively narrow seat, especially at the front is inclined to press any seam into your flesh.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I too dislike the stock sea on the FJ09, although I opted to fit the "lowered version" Still there is like a dead spot just at the base of my tail bone. I ride sport bikes mostly S1000RR and a 675R Daytona, but the FJ seat is far worse after 40-50 miles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
FZ09.jpg

IMHO Russell is the end all for long distance seats...I see they do fit the FZ-09...I hope they will be ready to tackle my FJ over the winter. I have a Russell on my current FJR and had one on my 05..there is no more comfortable seat for those of us who regularly do the 1K day...

I absolutely loved riding on Daylong on my DL650... As its not sold i still do! But its uglier than Rosemarys baby. I know, i know. Opinion. I have ordered the Seat Concepts just for the rider seat. We will see if its nearly as good. I use SC on my wr250r and it works great. Its no Daylong but way better than stock. I do feel SC should have cut the cost on the half seat they do for us...
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

FZ09.jpg 
IMHO Russell is the end all for long distance seats...I see they do fit the FZ-09...I hope they will be ready to tackle my FJ over the winter. I have a Russell on my current FJR and had one on my 05..there is no more comfortable seat for those of us who regularly do the 1K day...
You know that Russell makes a more sporty looking seat?  Might look a lot better on that FZ.  Anyway, the traditional Russell is butt ugly.  Look into their diamond stitch or square stitch for a much better looking seat. 
4075753.jpg

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

Archived