SEATing

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
 And each of those stitch holes is another water intrusion point into the seat. Yes, the photo was for illustration purposes...from Russell's site...remember grasshopper, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... ;)
Regarding the stitching and water intrusion:  That wonderful Russell on my FJR has around 180,000 miles, going on nine years, and is made with the vinyl material and as far as I know hasn't leaked.  I do not have a cover for it either, but do treat it with Nikwax.  You can use just about any of their waterproofing products as you are treating the stitching mostly.  The Glove Proof is what I started out using and then used the Frabric and Leather Proof products.  Both worked fine on the vinyl seat, and I think they would also work on a leather seat, but may require more applications.  When it rained, and I was on a ride, the seat gets no special treatment, it may just end up sitting in  the rain.  Water beads up and runs off the seat.  I wipe it off before sitting on it to keep my butt dryer.  Nikwax is the answer to the leak issue.  Good luck with that DL seat, I would get one, but find I don't need it on the FJ.  I now have 24,400 on the FJ-09 and have made a few 2,400-4,000 mile rides.  No SS1Ks or the like as I am a Candy Ass L.D.R. 4076692.jpg 

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

I installed a gel pad and memory foam on the comfort seat
still sucks

i have an air hawk which works pretty well, but its a hideous add on and feels like you move around too much when its installed on the 9er, it was really nice on my gs1100 tho for long rides

Archived