Red FJ-09 owner in WA

estell

• Premium Member
Just bought a red one yesterday, June 13th. Test drove a Stryker and a FJR1300 at the Yamaha demo event. When I first saw the FJ-09 at the demo, I dismissed it because it is chain drive. I drove a Shadow for years and enjoyed the low-maintenance shaft-drive but got tired of getting sore after 30 minutes. However, the Stryker and FJR were too heavy for me. I wanted something I can toss around and move easily on a daily basis, not just on Sunday. I also wanted ABS and traction control and reasonable comfort and touring capability. After looking around and finding that most light-weight bikes with ABS (that aren't Shadows) have a chain drive, then I gave the FJ-09 a closer look. The more I learned the better I liked it. Finally I liked it enough to not only accept the chain but to buy one. I only have 150 miles on it and I like it. I bought the grip heaters and the luggage rack. Next I have to get the mirror extenders. I can't see anything but my elbows in the mirrors. I am going to try the $45 JC Whitney trunk that includes a backrest pad. The whole trunk costs less than Yamaha's backrest pad.I also want to get some frame sliders but I don't know whether to get Yamaha's or a third party.Estell

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
Welcome! I lived with shaft drive for years and loved it. Just change the rear drive oil every 10k miles and ride it!

But in reality modern chains are pretty good. Yes, you can spend a lot of time adjusting, cleaning, and lubing if you wish, or just ignore it. Fussing over a modern chain gains you maybe 2-3k miles of life.

I wipe off the major grime every 500-1000 miles, and give it a light coating of gear oil. Ironically, the gear oil I use on my chain is 80w90 rear drive oil left over from my BMW.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
So far I have added the mirror extenders, T-Rex-Racing slider combo, Cal Sci large windscreen, Seat Concepts seat upgrade, and Nelson-Riggs CL-855 saddlebags. The bags are nearly the same as what Yamaha offers, but Chaparral Motorsports is selling them for $95. The downside is that I had to fabricate some brackets to keep them off the rear tire.
I am using Bel-Ray Super Clean chain lube.
7EWP2BS.jpg

2015 red FJ-09: Cal Sci screen, Sargent seat, ECU flash, slider combo, cruise, Rizoma bars, Matts forks, JRi shock, slipper clutch

• Premium Member
Southeast of Mt Rainier, approaching Paradise from the East.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
I am 6 foot even, 32 inch inseam. I use the large Cal Sci screen on the low setting. The wind hits the top of my helmet. I suppose I could raise it to see if the air goes over the top, but I haven't tried it. I believe Cal Sci makes a taller screen than what I have.

Archived