First 1000 miles around Oregon

keithu

• Premium Member
I've been an FJ-09 owner for two weeks now, and I finally passed 1000 miles. I have ridden it up into the mountains, down in the valleys, and out to the coast. I've commuted to work in rain and sun. My last bike was a Triumph TT600 which I sold in 2008, so I'm a re-entry rider more or less. Notes so far:

* Riding position - Perfect. The TT600 had great handlebar position, but legroom was extremely cramped.

* Seat - Okay, but the slope and density leave much to be desired. I already have an appointment with Mr. Ed's.

* Vibration - A high frequency resonance hits the bars at 62-67mph in top gear, an unfortunate range in Oregon. It's not as bad as the BMW K100RS I rode for years, but my little Triumph was a lot smoother.

* Handling - I'm sure I was spoiled by the TT, but the FJ forks and shock are obviously cut rate. At times harsh, at other times uncontrolled. I'll probably spend some money here.

Brakes - The TT600 brakes were flawless, but I'm very glad to have ABS.

Dashboard - The FJ dash looks lifted straight from a 1985 300ZX. Sports car makers experimented with digital dashes in the '80s. Guess what? They were terrible. Why are we doing this again?!

Engine - As I neared the end of the break-in period I really started to dip into the motor's full capabilities. Wow. Power everywhere. The FJ produces more torque at 3000rpm than my poor TT600 made anywhere. It pulls hard from down low like a twin, yet has a ripping top end like a four. Is the triple the perfect motorcycle engine? Probably.

The FJ-09 is by no means perfect. But it's a far better basis for a commuter and sport tourer than my old TT600, or the BMW K-bike I had before that. I'm looking forward to many great years together!

Some photos from the mountains:

KoVTGuj.jpg

XFUvzig.jpg

The valley:

h0dnmGC.jpg

And the coast:

yADwkMs.jpg

• Premium Member
Nice scenery. What is that metal cylinder between the handlebars and display in the 2nd pic?
Cup holder. It holds a coffee travel mug.
Seriously? How do you use it? I guess you make the coffee, ride 5 miles and stop to drink the coffee?

• Premium Member
Seriously? How do you use it? I guess you make the coffee, ride 5 miles and stop to drink the coffee?
Yes, the idea is to use it to carry a cup of coffee if I go ref a morning soccer game or attend some other nearby meeting. Actually I haven't used it yet and might just remove it.

• Premium Member
Yes, the idea is to use it to carry a cup of coffee if I go ref a morning soccer game or attend some other nearby meeting. Actually I haven't used it yet and might just remove it.
Haha, no, it makes sense, enjoy!

Archived